Home U.S. Coin Forum

FUN Show Day 2

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2019 6:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My plane arrived 20 minutes early at MCO and after getting a taxi to the Convention Center, I was on the bourse by 11:15 am. I had wanted to sell some coins and I had dealers in mind for each of them, based on what we have traded between us in prior times. So I went to these dealers and sold most of the coins I thought I would sell to them at prices fair to both of us. At each stop, I was also looking to buy. One dealer had a bust quarter of my dreams, but alas it was $27K and I just don't want to go that high. Another has a stunning CC eagle that I am still thinking about. One of the dealers I did a trade with and came out with 2 stunning coins that I will image an post later in the week. These visits pretty much took until mid-afternoon. During that time I ran into UltraHighRelief and ldhair and we had nice conversations.

The rest of the afternoon I went to all of the regular stops for bust coinage - CRO, HLRC, Eye Appealing, David Khan, Osborn/Cushing, Fortin, Perkins, Winter, had nice chats with all. I saw some coins I might want to consider but I am waiting to see what walks up to tables - fresh bust quarters sold to these dealers that they put out on their display cases, before I make any more purchases. I did buy a nice barber quarter from tipsico out of Corvallis, OR (Go Beavers!!!), a 1905-O P50 CAC he had listed on ebay but I wanted to see it in hand. He had it, in hand it was great, so got it. Alex, the owner of tipsico is the only one I will buy raw from on ebay. His images are great, and he is honest in describing the surfaces (and cleaning if there was one), and his grades are conservative. I have been building a nice set of worn mercury dimes and alot of them come from him raw, send to PCGS and his grades are always spot on.

Quickly stopped by to say Hi to Insider2 around 5 pm. Nice to finally meet him in person.

Did my rounds with The Penny Lady, and Bluvette and his father. Always great to chat with them. Promised Charmy to bring a bottle of wine today for, of course, drinking.

Some of my perceptions from the show today:

Some of the dealers told me things were slow on retail at the show, some told me things were hopping. All said their wholesale buisness was doing well - so alot of dealer to dealer trading.

Really strong attendance. Lots of folks walking the floor, great buzzzzzzzz, but don't know if they are buying.

Hardly any green beaned coins. Most dealers of the stuff I like have a few % CACed coins. Some of the higher end are all CACed, some of the collector grade dealers have no CAC.

Colorfully toned, excellent surfaced, P/CAC bust quarters are few and far between, alas. Alot of pq bust halves though, maybe I need to change my direction ;-)

The bourse clearly shows the bifurcated market. Grey silver with no colored toning, no CAC, are selling, if they do, for much lower prices than CACed coins. Dealers are asking premiums of at least 30% over retail for the grade for CACed coins sometimes much more. And let me tell you it is worth it. I paid well over market for the 3 I bought yesterday, but I think the folks at my table today at the PCGS luncheon will agree during show and tell that they are stunners. So one can buy regular stuff under market, or one can by the uber pq coins but expect to pay up. I generally choose the latter these days. I haven't bought a coin at 'sheet in years, and don't plan on it.

There is a new bean company in town. These folks, whose buisness cards were laying around here and there on the bourse, will put a bit ole 'W' bean on your coin if it is a blast white MS coin. I am thinking here 'WHAT THE........?' Is there a point to this? We will see how long they last....... Is this you Ricko???

After the bourse closed, I met with some friends for our yearly dinner at a steak house. The Capital Grille, across the street was our destination, lots of talk about coins, some good discussion on 'The Wall' from both conservative and liberals alike. And no one got mad at each other with differing views, if only folks higher up would be that way. But a great time, we took 3 hours to go through the dinner, pinot noir from Oregon, great steaks and seafood, and excellent service. 5 stars to Capital Grille.

Finally at 10 pm, back at the hotel, I was fortunate to share the elevator with THE Q David Bowers and Christina Karstedt. I had a wonderful 20 seconds of chatting with them. David, as soon as we got in the elevator, introduced himself and shook my hand, what a gentleman. Then we chatted (quickly) about the show, we were all in good spirits. Now if only Roger would be here so I can have an elevator ride with the other great numismatic author of our time......

Off to JRCS meeting, PCGS luncheon today, more boursing, etc. Report back tomorrow.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report

Frank

BHNC #203

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report......maybe I will see you at the Luncheon. :)

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great report. This is first FUN Show I've missed in over 15 years. Wish I was there.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and easy to read.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great report! Thanks for taking the time!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic report, thanks.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love reading these reports. Thanks @spacehayduke.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. Thanks.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke... Very good report... And NO!! The 'W' bean/card is not me or even influenced by me....This is the first I have heard of it. Nice idea though.. :D;) How is bullion moving?? Should be some movement there with the market shenanigans lately. Cheers, RickO

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the great report! Unfortunately we have similar tastes, so you should immediately switch to just gold and dump all that other nasty old stuff. Lol.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Nice report, thanks for sharing.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Great report, looking forward to more reports

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report, and what a cool way to end your day. Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 10:08AM

Excellent, informative report and observations. (What wine did you get for Ms. Harker?)

RE: "Now if only Roger would be here so I can have an elevator ride with the other great numismatic author of our time......"

Thanks for the compliment!
    I was there. I was doing the elevator music behind Dave's banter. Yeah, I know,...It's not much of a gig but the bills gotta be paid.
    :)

[Kidding aside - I don't attend many shows because I have no business or coin buying/selling connections. This means that even the largest coin shows have very limited offerings for research or other aspects of what I do in the hobby. I love meeting and chatting with collectors and dealers, but with no table presence that is not something to fill the time productively.]

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

[Kidding aside - I don't attend many shows because I have no business or coin buying/selling connections. This means that even the largest coin shows have very limited offerings for research or other aspects of what I do in the hobby. I love meeting and chatting with collectors and dealers, but with no table presence that is not something to fill the time productively.]

On the other hand, Roger, you would increase your network and visibility that would indirectly benefit you (either in awareness of your books, knowledgeable contacts, who knows?). Yes, the show is not geared toward your mission, but it is THE event for the hobby.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

Great Report SH - sounds like you're having a great time.
    -dada

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 10:06AM

Sadly, the overall cost of a table and travel is more than I can afford to spend. But I appreciate you suggestions. (I suggested to both FUN and CSNS that they sponsor an "authors' table" and schedule two-hour shifts of hobby writers available to chat with collectors. Not a sales table, but an awareness and marketing approach. Both rejected the idea.) I did not bother with other show sponsors.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Sadly, the overall cost of a table and travel is more than I can afford to spend. But I appreciate you suggestions. (I suggested to both FUN and CSNS that they sponsor an "authors' table" and schedule two-hour shifts of hobby writers available to chat with collectors. Not a sales table, but an awareness and marketing approach. Both rejected the idea.) I did not bother with other show sponsors.

I think that's a great idea. I would bet you could get a few authors together and purchase a table as a group for future shows. It'd bring the cost down and certainly boost general awareness and sales as well.

edited January 11, 2019 10:28AM

At one time NGC would put a W sticker on the slab.
    Designates white.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather have blast white over a cac any day, a bit confused though as to why I would need a label to tell me my coin was white? lol

Thanks for taking the time for posting show report.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

You are right FadeToBlack was on the label.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top notch report. Thanks!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey spaceman, i think you should have done whatever it took to get QDB to lend you some time, anytime. i think I'd pay money to hear him talk in his sleep!!! o:)

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report... thanks SHD!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Excellent, informative report and observations. (What wine did you get for Ms. Harker?)

Alas, I never had the chance to go to the store and get a nice bottle for Charmy. She is so good at inviting everyone in for wine during the show. I saw her at 5 pm and apologized, Charmy said no worries but I hope I can get to it tomorrow.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense, but I'm kind of glad you haven't found any new bust quarters - you already have a good enough lead over my set in the registry ;)

J/K Great report, thanks!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke we need an update on the CC gold! Go for it!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the day 2 report

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good seeing you and the rest of the guys at the forum get together last night! :)

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Glad you had a good time and always, it was great seeing you. No worries about the wine, I always bring a bottle or two, so I had plenty! I barely had time to drink it because they days flew by. Look forward to seeing you next time!!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your report means a LOT to those of us unable to not be able to attend the show. And it sounds like you were an excellent trader while there.

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file