Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NYINC 2019 Show Report (Wed, Thu, Fri and Sat)

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2019 9:54PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I don’t usually come in on Wednesday, but I decided I want to experience a CNG auction in person, and since I live in a nearby area, I figured why not...

On only two hours of sleep (I can’t sleep the night before I know I will leave dog; he was being extra attached to me from when I started packing to when I started to put on my coat), I drag my butt to the Grand Hyatt Hotel, check in, drop off my stuff, grab lunch at a nearby Luke’s Lobster Shack with an Italian dealer and then make my way to the CNG auction.

The auctioneer was painfully slow, well beyond the point of being deliberate on large value lots, and I almost pass out from exhaustion. My lots of interest eventually arrived (starting with Italian States), and to my dismay I got shut out including one “must-have” lot. And to be clear, I got shut out not because I was looking for a rip, but because those Italian States lots I liked simply went full retail. Next up for me was British. Again, the nice Anglo-Saxon lots generally went high. I picked off a nice rare Harold II that went cheap. I didn’t pay careful attention to the rest of the British lots until the Stuarts where I lost on one lot and won another (that I had been lusting after since the Summer ANA). For both of my wins, I paid much less than my max. Ordinarily that might concern me, but I had viewed both lots myself and consulted with a trusted advisor and so feel comfortable with the results.

At this point, I want to give a shout out to @Nap who was shadowing me and the auction from his home. It’s nice that he did that so I didn’t feel alone during the action.

As soon as I won my second lot, I left and retired for a quiet evening in my room where I ate dinner, watched TV and did video chat with @Zohar and others before doing video chat with my wife and dog.

Big day tomorrow, starting with a bagel with cream cheese and sliced lox in the morning.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:

As soon as I won my second lot, I left and retired for a quiet evening in my room where I ate dinner, watched TV and did video chat with @Zohar and others before doing video chat with my wife and dog.

You called Zohar before calling your dog???

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka @Stork

I called @Zohar when I did because it was already after midnight his time and my wife hadn’t returned home yet. But, the video chat that went the longest was to Greg Margulies. (He and I can talk with each other incessantly like two teenaged girls.)

My Jimmy (i.e., the doggo) did show recognition during the video chat. I love him to the moon and back.

And, I love Stork’s doggo too.

EVP

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must say speaking to EVP well past midnight my time was quite enjoyable as it gave me a live feed right into the show/auction experience as well as the ongoing internal debate which we all share of whether to buy a coin, at what price, and what if there is a better one to come. Next year for certain. Have fun everyone!

@Boosibri said:
    "..and to my dismay I got shut out including one “must-have” lot. And to be clear, I got shut out not because I was looking for a rip, but because those Italian States lots I liked simply went full retail."

Gotta pay up for the best and full retail seems about right for the "must have" coins. I've had to pay over full retail for the irreplaceable items which in the end seem good value even today.

I concur, except that price pushed my non-Farouk-like budget too far and I have other considerations that I cannot detail here (or maybe never publicly -- sorry to be so cryptic) that forced me to stop early.

@Zohar said:
    I must say speaking to EVP well past midnight my time was quite enjoyable as it gave me a live feed right into the show/auction experience as well as the ongoing internal debate which we all share of whether to buy a coin, at what price, and what if there is a better one to come. Next year for certain. Have fun everyone!

Thanks man. I know that the TZ difference militates against our doing this often, but I'll see what I can do for another chat session.

EVP

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 10:37AM

@Boosibri said:
    "..and to my dismay I got shut out including one “must-have” lot. And to be clear, I got shut out not because I was looking for a rip, but because those Italian States lots I liked simply went full retail."

Gotta pay up for the best and full retail seems about right for the "must have" coins. I've had to pay over full retail for the irreplaceable items which in the end seem good value even today.

My feelings exactly.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I'm concerned, if the coin is really meant to be in my collection, nobody but me gets to decide what is "true retail", because "true retail" is my final bid. I would obviously feel differently if I collected widgets, but I don't.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

My Thursday started with me jumping out of bed after a luxuriously long sleep at 9:30am. I do my morning stuff and make my way to the bagel shop (Zucker's) about a block and a half away. After chatting briefly with @Zohar, I make my way to the show for Professional Preview.

I quickly drop off cheese and crackers at @MrEureka's table and spied a beautiful Italian States coin that I ultimately pass on (my decision actually all of 5 hours or so, but in the interest of readability I'll just say that I reluctantly told the seller I must pass on it). I then make my way to another Italian dealer's table (the guy with whom I had lunch on Wednesday) to pick up a major coin that is a consolation prize for the not-to-be "must-have" coin from Wednesday. (As for what either coin are, I must still be cryptic.)

I then make my way to CNG and another dealer of British material to look at Anglo-Saxon, Tudor and Stuart material galore. I seriously need to win a mega lottery drawing.

At one point, I ran into James Ricks as we were walking the aisles and he inquired with me about the amazing Ormonde Crown from HA earlier in the week. I told him that I was not its new owner and he very nicely offered his regrets to me for missing that one too. (Full disclosure: I like James because he tries very hard to be honest and helpful to his clients.)

The day's session winds down with me chatting up my Italian dealer buddy some more, and then indulging in some wine, cheese and crackers at Mr. Lustig's table with @TwoKopeiki and @bidask before making my way to CNG to chat up my British dealer buddy with whom we have a breakfast date.

Dinner for me is Shake Shack take out in my room to watch TV and do video chat with my wife and doggo again. And, of course, to write this.

A preview of Friday will be decide on which additional coins to buy. I know that this sounds odd, but I already have two coins in my sights, and I technically can buy both. And, I haven't actually made the rounds yet. So many more tables to visit (mostly for Zohar, who's sad that he couldn't make it here this year).

So, until tomorrow, I bid you all good night, ciao, bonne nuit, spokoynoi nochi, guten nacht and yada yada yada.

:)

EVP

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might see you later. Will eventually stroll down to the train station and onwards to Manhattan.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Friday morning started with breakfast at Zucker's at 7:30am with a British dealer who was nice enough to pay. While eating in my room, we had a good time chatting about all sorts of stuff, including providing feedback on what I see can stand improvement with their firm.

I eventually make my way to the show, walk around a bit until @Nap arrived and eventually made my way to a veteran dealer of British coins and decided to buy two coins: a Henry VII 'tentative' groat (SCBC 2254) in high grade and a primary phase 'Vernus' sceatt (SCBC 783) in high grade. Thus evaporates the bulk of my cash reserve.

The rest of the day was spent searching for coins for @Zohar, unsuccessfully. Ate lunch with Nap at Luke's Lobster Shack (and buying a roll for my British dealer friend) and walked around some more looking at coins, coins and more coins. Eventually, 5pm arrived and I had wine, cheese and crackers at @MrEureka's table again. After, I went to dinner at the Oyster Room in Grand Central Terminal with Nap and @superpsychmd. After dinner, we came back to my room and handled the SB auction via our iOS devices.

Soon to do video chat with my wife, pack and sleep.

My Saturday was a terrible day.

First, I woke feeling a bit ill. No appetite for breakfast, and minimal one for breakfast. Spent most of the day waiting to deal with something with a dealer and whiled away the time putzing about.

Second, while putzing about, I found two coins that I wanted to buy but had no money. One of the two was a gorgeous Italian States coin that wasn't even expensive, but decided not to push my luck with my wife. The second coin was a handsome low-grade Anglo-Saxon gold coin.

Third, as the day wore on, I felt more and more drained of energy and had to lie down at the Mezzanine level while sitting next to @Nap and two others. I figured if I felt worse, at least I'd be near an actual medical doctor.

Eventually I conclude my business with said dealer (and not favorably either!), gathered my stuff and called for a Lyft. On the way down to my next transit point, I thought I was going to get sick inside the car. I eventually make it to my car without incident and thus home. Kissed my doggo and unwound and glad NYINC 2019 is finally over for me.

I don't know what it is about coin shows, but I think 2 days is my max before I get sick. Sometimes at Baltimore I get sick after the first day.

But, all in all, I would not miss this show if I can help it. I enjoy seeing the people. Coins of course, but the people even more. (I'll stop here before I start sounding dorkier than usual.)

EVP

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear you had a bad day EVP. At least you got to nap next to Nap.

@OriginalDan said:
    Sorry to hear you had a bad day EVP. At least you got to nap next to Nap.

Funny. Good one. And, thanks. You should try to make it to NYINC some day. For next the three years, the show will conclude on a long weekend (MLK Day on Monday, which is a NYSE holiday). I told my wife that I would very much like it for her to come in Friday and stay over the weekend with me so we can have some fun in the City together.

edited January 13, 2019 4:35PM

EVP I'd love to attend. We don't work on MLK day so that will make it easier next year.

I did make a rather important purchase for me, like a once a year rare coin. My volunteer numismatic agent got a little tipsy but was still able to come through with knowledge of something rare and cool from NYINC. So stay tuned.

@OriginalDan said:
    EVP I'd love to attend. We don't work on MLK day so that will make it easier next year.

I did make a rather important purchase for me, like a once a year rare coin. My volunteer numismatic agent got a little tipsy but was still able to come through with knowledge of something rare and cool from NYINC. So stay tuned.

Looking forward to seeing you if you make it.

Sincere question: does being 'volunteered' make one a volunteer? @Zohar 'volunteered' me to be his agent, and the +7h time difference was awkward. But, he's in a desert now (numismatically and literally) so one must show kindness for our brethren.

BTW, you also have the newly revived SF show in late Nov or early Dec.

EVP

Yes, now that I know the SF show is actually decent, it'll be on the plans every year. If you could see how pitiful the shows are usually in this area, you'd understand why I skipped it this year.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really a show report. More of a "Dear Diary"

@ACop said:
    Not really a show report. More of a "Dear Diary"

Artistic license. :)