Home Precious Metals

So what is the general selling value of PROOF ASE's sold privately?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

This I haven't explored before, but I may sell the 16 I have. From what I've seen, this resale market varies wildly in price, and I'll be doing private selling.

COA

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 4:41PM

Same as if you sold them personally

If shipping them, selling them as a lot will save you postage.

Edited to add: Now that you have added "PROOF" to the title you should get an avg. of $40 - 45.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im a buyer at spot.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Im a seller at spot.

I'll take 2 sets :D

But seriously I have a full run of them I'm a bit curious myself

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@cohodk said:
    Im a seller at spot.

I'll take 2 sets :D

But seriously I have a full run of them I'm a bit curious myself

Haha...you made me look at what i actually wrote.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

first thread BU
    this one proof

not many people buy proof face to face.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Good comments!
    I didn't see any significant price difference in the common ones. I may do my little trick of asking $39 if they buy all.

COA
  • MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Same as if you sold them personally

If shipping them, selling them as a lot will save you postage.

Edited to add: Now that you have added "PROOF" to the title you should get an avg. of $40 - 45.

just looking back on 2018 ebay purchases on ASE 12 Proofs $275.50 my average $23

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

At present ASE proof prices are way down so don't sell them unless you have to have cash immediately.

If you must have the cash now see "Mesh's" post above. Sounds like a net of $23/ea!

ouch

COA
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tneig said:
    ouch

check ebay completed auctions to check it out

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bid ask is 10 50.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof ASE aren't nearly what they used to be. Some market maker out in California collapsed maybe two years ago. The former market maker wasn't exactly running an honest business.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 5:20AM

When Philip Diehl screwed loyal ASE collectors by bundling the 1995W into the AGE set so that it would've required a $1,000 outlay to get one (or $15,000 to get 15), I stopped buying 15 ASE proofs every year. I was so pissed at that guy. Over the years, I sold off about 145 Proof ASEs gradually but kept the 6 coins I thought might be worth something - 3 of the 1993s and 3 of the 1994s.

In 2006, I joined PCGS and decided to send them in for grading, because I thought I had carefully tagged all the best coins by re-evaluating each of them carefully from time to time over the years. Only one of them, a 1993 came back PR-70. I sold it for $4,900 on ebay. All the rest of those coins sold for nominal prices that were pretty comparable to today's prices.

The one ASE I regret selling was a 1988 Proof which had started to gather up a really delicate and pretty purple highlight from it's purple box. I should've kept it. It was a pretty coin and if I'd kept it, I would have eventually had it graded.

The moral of the story - if you are selling make sure that you look the coins over carefully and make sure that you aren't overlooking a real keeper.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof ASE's will usually sell fairly well....I really should pull mine out and see if some should be slabbed...like the '93.... They are nice coins... but the issue price is what hurts when selling most of them... Cheers, RickO

Thanks. I have one 93 so that's nice. I'll look at them close.

@jmski52 said:
    When Philip Diehl screwed loyal ASE collectors by bundling the 1995W into the AGE set so that it would've required a $1,000 outlay to get one (or $15,000 to get 15), I stopped buying 15 ASE proofs every year. I was so pissed at that guy. Over the years, I sold off about 145 Proof ASEs gradually but kept the 6 coins I thought might be worth something - 3 of the 1993s and 3 of the 1994s.

In 2006, I joined PCGS and decided to send them in for grading, because I thought I had carefully tagged all the best coins by re-evaluating each of them carefully from time to time over the years. Only one of them, a 1993 came back PR-70. I sold it for $4,900 on ebay. All the rest of those coins sold for nominal prices that were pretty comparable to today's prices.

The one ASE I regret selling was a 1988 Proof which had started to gather up a really delicate and pretty purple highlight from it's purple box. I should've kept it. It was a pretty coin and if I'd kept it, I would have eventually had it graded.

The moral of the story - if you are selling make sure that you look the coins over carefully and make sure that you aren't overlooking a real keeper.

COA