Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

So, who is eyeing what in the upcoming NYINC auctions.

I’m looking at some coins from the Morris Collection of Ancients . A bit of a stretch for me but we will see.....!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a beautiful and rare 1847 2E from CAR in the sale. It may be out of my price range though.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-FM87M

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know... a little bit of this... a little bit of that...

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

Any nice 8 reales?

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Any nice 8 reales?

I'll let you know after the auctions are over :)

@TwoKopeiki said:

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Any nice 8 reales?

I'll let you know after the auctions are over :)

:D

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

This seems like a loaded question.... the mind games this thread could spawn.

But yeah, I got a couple on my radar!

My current "Box of 20"

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    There is a beautiful and rare 1847 2E from CAR in the sale. It may be out of my price range though.

Great coin! A rarity in all grades, and ted for finest known. I have the other one, so I won't be a strong bidder. You should get it!!!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The estimates on the Morris collection are all extremely low relative to market value. I suspect many will end up 2-4x their stated estimates. I've viewed most of them - feel free to send me a PM if you have a question on any specific lots.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:

Looking into this one too. But still thinking about it. It is a lot of money.

A bit far afield from what I am collecting but this caught my eye.

https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=5556&category=180797&lot=4644715

My current "Box of 20"

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

You do know that this Wyon design was used by Patina/INA and sold a bunch of iterations in the Spink 2001 Patina Sale. I got this in gold for about 550 pounds - not the original equally nice IMO. The silvers come up every so often. This was a private pattern originally anyway.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@7Jaguars - I did not know that - thanks for the info. I will try to track down a silver replica.

But, that original has wonderful patina!

My current "Box of 20"

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, let's see: 40,000 USD vs. ~90. I think a bit of toning could be found for a percentage of that. I too used to love this design -and it was AFFORDABLE at one time. That is gone but substitutes are fairly nice.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

I'm deciding if I want to get a few nice coins that will be a start of a new collection, or one amazing coin to have as a type...

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I'm deciding if I want to get a few nice coins that will be a start of a new collection, or one amazing coin to have as a type...

Always one amazing...

@TwoKopeiki said:

What new collection are you considering? :D

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Deciding between extending my 8 Reales collection into early Republic Hooknecks (most likely starting with Durango) or Scottish Ryals of Mary.

@Abuelo said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Always one amazing...

That's what I'm leaning towards, as well. We'll see how the bidding goes.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Deciding between extending my 8 Reales collection into early Republic Hooknecks (most likely starting with Durango) or Scottish Ryals of Mary.

Hooknecks! ;)

There are few Durangos, even nice ones. There is also a very high grade Mexico City from 1824, perhaps the top pop. So there you have it @TwoKopeiki

@Abuelo said:
    There are few Durangos, even nice ones. There is also a very high grade Mexico City from 1824, perhaps the top pop. So there you have it @TwoKopeiki

There sure are.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any guesses on what that MS64 Hookneck will go for?

edited December 31, 2018 2:53PM

@Boosibri said:

Depends on how many people will be chasing it after it breaks 10K.

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Boosibri said:

I didn’t see much nice Latin American in the sale so may attract decent interest.

• Tracking couple of multiple thalers i know going to be out of my range. Still fun to track and maybe even to bid :)

edited December 31, 2018 6:59PM

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Boosibri said:

I didn’t see much nice Latin American in the sale so may attract decent interest.

Well, an MS65 from Durango (yes I know is a complete different animal) sold for 26K last year (2017). So for sure I think this will pass the 10K. Sadly, not for me...

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anyone going to lot viewing on Sunday? I’ve never been to the NYINC auctions before. I’m planning to view the Ancient Greek coins from Heritage and CNG on Sunday and then bid from home Monday and Tuesday. If anyone is interested in doing a meetup let me know.

edited January 7, 2019 8:10PM

Did you just see what the NetherlAnds East Indies Japanese occupation coins went for ?

Woweee ! I think they were made of aluminum!!

It’s lots 34301, 02, and 03.

Went for $9600/ 28,800 and 9,600 respectively!

:p

@Abuelo have a link to the auction with the MS65 Durango?

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

Bid on one lot and got it: Lot 30177 - Copper Co. of Upper Canada copper Proof Restrike 1/2 Penny 1794 (1894) PR65 Brown NGC from the Doug Robbins collection

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 9:48PM

@1960NYGiants said:
    Bid on one lot and got it: Lot 30177 - Copper Co. of Upper Canada copper Proof Restrike 1/2 Penny 1794 (1894) PR65 Brown NGC from the Doug Robbins collection

@1960NYGiants those restrikes went VERY cheap! Congrats on the win. I had the silver restrike from the HA auction 2 years ago and it was much more expensive then.

Tonight I ended up winning the original for my max bid last April when they originally sold. (I didn’t win it last time because someone outbid me at $5000, but this time my $4800 bid took it home.)

Any scuttlebut on why they (some) came back to auction so quickly?

So far, did terrible at Heritage... 0/2. I was underbid on both.

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I added one of the more modest coins from the Morris Collection that fit in my budget.

Was going to go after that Lissner 1815 8 Reales in NGC64 but the feedback from folks previewing it was less than stellar. And for that price it had to be a "wow" coin or you're just paying for the pedigree or registry points.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Was going to go after that Lissner 1815 8 Reales in NGC64 but the feedback from folks previewing it was less than stellar. And for that price it had to be a "wow" coin or you're just paying for the pedigree or registry points.

I need a Mexico Ferdinand VII 8R in high grade but I didn't even end up tracking that lot given the washed out surfaces and white color.

I was glad to see the 1742-Mo 4E MS62 sell for $12k. It is the only other 62 graded for the type other than the one I posted in another thread and from those who have seen it I hear the coin at auction was not very original nor impressive.

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I need a Mexico Ferdinand VII 8R in high grade but I didn't even end up tracking that lot given the washed out surfaces and white color.

It had quite a bit of luster and I don't believe anyone would call it washed-out after seeing it in-hand. The color is a different story. It wasn't for me, or you, but there's still a reason it hammered at over $3K with BP.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

It had quite a bit of luster and I don't believe anyone would call it washed-out after seeing it in-hand. The color is a different story. It wasn't for me, or you, but there's still a reason it hammered at over $3K with BP.

It reminded me of a CC-mint Morgan in P63. (Not asserting that the NGC grade is too loose, since we are not comparing same apples.)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@1960NYGiants said:

@1960NYGiants those restrikes went VERY cheap! Congrats on the win. I had the silver restrike from the HA auction 2 years ago and it was much more expensive then.

Tonight I ended up winning the original for my max bid last April when they originally sold. (I didn’t win it last time because someone outbid me at $5000, but this time my $4800 bid took it home.)

Any scuttlebut on why they (some) came back to auction so quickly?

@pruebas - congrats. I don't officially know why they came so quick. I wasn't in a financial position to purchase this last April - very happy to get it as same price this year. Fills a huge hole in the type set of tokens.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay