Home Stamps Forum

Sperry and hutchinson steel press

Hi, I don't know if this is the right spot for this, but I found a series of steel sperry and hutchinson presses at the dump the other day. Most of them say "sperry & hutchinson Co-operative discount stamp" with a 10 behind it in various sizes. There are a couple of a building that say freimuths on them. And finally a few small ones that say H&V. Can anyone shed some light on these? Were they used to make the green stamps I've heard about? Are they worth anything?

Tagged:

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2019 8:15PM

@Roardawg , I really can't envision what you are talking about. They sound interesting but how about some pictures?

You say presses, but do you mean printing plates?

• @JBK I have uploaded pictures from my phone, hopefully they are visible. And yes, I think printing plate is more accurate. Let me know what you think

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, printing blocks, used for printing ads in papers or other paper advertising. Not for printing the stamps themselves. I assume they have a wood base.

If you found them together they were probably from the store pictured.

Yes, they have value but not a ton. Similar stuff (other subjects) is on ebay all the time. Let me know if you lost them, I might be interested if cheap enough.

I have seen printing blocks listed for a few to several dollars each at the low end, and several times that for fancy or popular subjects.

Good catch to find them and take them home. Definitely worth preserving.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Anything to do with the printing of the old "S&H Green Stamps"?