Home Sports Talk

College bowl games....

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just did an Internet search on the college football bowl schedule. The number of games is amazing, but what is really shocking is that there are a fair number of teams with .500 records that get to play in the post season. No one has used the name yet, but calling one of these contests “The Mediocrity Bowl” would seem to be in order.

When I was an undergrad at the University of Delaware, our team was invited to contests like the Boardwalk Bowl in Atlantic City, but that was after the team had gone 9-1or something like that. Now you have teams getting bowl bids if they have a pulse.

Who knows? Maybe there will be a bowl game setup between two teams with 0-10 records with the name, “The Futility Bowl.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

breaking news !!!!!!!!!!!!! college football is stupid

no further details at 11 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Half of the NBA squads don't deserve playoffs.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

Yea, but that old cash register goes “Ka-Ching” and generates more interest in the playoffs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2018 3:23PM

@BillJones said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yea, but that old cash register goes “Ka-Ching” and generates more interest in the playoffs.

Same with college bowl games. The majority of the bowls are on ESPN.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly have never understood the whole bowl thing. It seems in modern times there are only three meaningful postseason college games, the bcs championship series. Before that, only one, the championship game. The bowls, even the famous ones, really didn't mean anything. Just an extra game tacked onto the end of the schedule.

It seems college football could own December if they just had a full playoff season with 12 or 14 teams. I never watch the meaningless bowl games.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lost interest when they went from the Big 4 Bowls to the 100 or so now. Not worth my time watching.