Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Christmas Challenge (Completed! Vesta McCurry's WW1 love token is going home!)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 23, 2018 4:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So, how many of you were around for Operation Stone Holey ten years ago, when I sent two of our Florida members off on a harebrained live treasure hunt (actually a wild goose chase, as it turned out), to find a piece of Yap stone money that had once been partially buried in my grandmother's yard?

Who's sufficiently bored or enthusiastic enough to help me with another crazy quest? This one can be done in cyberspace, though we're looking for a person this time. There is still a coin involved.

You see, I am looking for a living descendant of a person who once owned a love token I have. It would be really cool to give one of those descendants a Christmas surprise, in the form of the coin their grandparent or great-grandparent once owned. IF such a descendant can be found.

What's in it for you, my super-sleuth friends? Why, the chance to become part of the story, of course! :)

Forgive me for not posting the story in this thread. This current CU forum software and I have never gotten along.

With apologies, I will direct you to the full story on CoinTalk, to save myself the hassle of trying to repost it all here. Don't worry, though, I think it's a pretty good read, though not everyone will agree.

Maybe you can help me track down the person we need to give this coin to.

Edit- a descendant has been found and contacted! Yay!

Happy Holidays!

~RWS/"LM"

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff as always, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2018 3:00PM

OBITUARIES
    Story last updated at 8:29 a.m. on Tuesday, December 28, 1999
    Vivian Lewis Cumming

Vivian Pearman Lewis, 77, formerly of Hartwell, died Monday, Dec. 27, 1999.
    Mrs. Lewis was the widow of James Stanley Lewis.
    Services will be at 3 p.m. today in Northview Cemetery,
    Hartwell, with the Rev. James Weathersby officiating.
    Survivors include a daughter, Nancy L. Ferazzuolo, Cumming; a
    son, Howard Stanley Lewis, Athens; and four grandchildren.
    Strickland Funeral Home, Hartwell, has charge of arrangements.
    Athens Daily News, Tuesday, Dec. 28, 1999
    http://files.usgwarchives.net/ga/clarke/obits/athensdailynews/1999/28dec99.txt

Elizabeth Lewis , 65
    Suwanee, GA
    Lived in: Pembroke Pines FL, Watkinsville GA, Athens GA Related to: Howard Stanley Lewis , Thomas Bruce Lewis , Debra Ann Lewis , Elizabeth A Lewis , John M Lewis , John Franklin Lewis , Kimberly S Lewis , Mark A Lewis , Jamie Lewis Saye , Judith Ann Lewis
    https://www.mylife.com/elizabeth-lewis/cn/35

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    OBITUARIES
    Story last updated at 8:29 a.m. on Tuesday, December 28, 1999
    Vivian Lewis
    Cumming

Vivian Pearman Lewis, 77, formerly of Hartwell, died Monday, Dec.
    27, 1999.
    Mrs. Lewis was the widow of James Stanley Lewis.
    Services will be at 3 p.m. today in Northview Cemetery,
    Hartwell, with the Rev. James Weathersby officiating.
    Survivors include a daughter, Nancy L. Ferazzuolo, Cumming; a
    son, Howard Stanley Lewis, Athens; and four grandchildren.
    Strickland Funeral Home, Hartwell, has charge of arrangements.
    Athens Daily News, Tuesday, Dec. 28, 1999
    http://files.usgwarchives.net/ga/clarke/obits/athensdailynews/1999/28dec99.txt

Elizabeth Lewis , 65
    Suwanee, GA
    Lived in: Pembroke Pines FL, Watkinsville GA, Athens GA Related to: Howard Stanley Lewis , Thomas Bruce Lewis , Debra Ann Lewis , Elizabeth A Lewis , John M Lewis , John Franklin Lewis , Kimberly S Lewis , Mark A Lewis , Jamie Lewis Saye , Judith Ann Lewis
    https://www.mylife.com/elizabeth-lewis/cn/35

Thank you.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2018 3:15PM

daughter, Nancy L. Ferazzuolo
    son, Howard Stanley Lewis

It sounds like one of these two are who need to be tracked down.

If not, then it's on to the next generation, I suppose.

• Options

Cool, thanks for the share

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nancy L Ferrazzuolo, age 65-70
    Relatives Renee P Ferrazzuolo Richard A Ferrazzuolo
    2610 Heatherwyn Way, Cumming, GA, 30040-7847
    https://nuwber.com/person/563a4a38e0cd4806cb292d02

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    Nancy L Ferrazzuolo, age 65-70
    Relatives Renee P Ferrazzuolo Richard A Ferrazzuolo
    2610 Heatherwyn Way, Cumming, GA, 30040-7847
    https://nuwber.com/person/563a4a38e0cd4806cb292d02

Same state as you LM

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yap money rocks.
    ...................sorry. :D

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yap money
    ..................the ultimate holey coin

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinTalk banned me. Forever.

See, I asked the owner a question. I guess that's not allowed. :D

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Great stuff as always, thanks for sharing!

I agree..............and a very noble thing to do.

How did you come upon the token? The family could have disposed of it on purpose when the Estate was settled. That would have been a shame! I'm sure that token meant everything to the couple as a remembrance and keepsake.

........................if that is indeed how it got out into the wild.

At any rate, the members here have given you everything I could have put together.

This is a good story posted at the best time of year for it.

I wish you well, Holy One!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you the very best of luck in this venture.

I’ve done this sort of thing three times with mixed results.

One person hung up on me when I tried to tell him I had 150 years worth of his family letters. Turned out there was a family rift, so I gave the documents to the Jefferson Co museum

Another time I gave a whole album of tintype photos to a direct descendant. She was indignant that I bought them from another line of the family that sold them.

But lastly, I returned a whole box of civil war letters to a 5x great grandson who happened to have been a history buff. The soldier was part of Avril’s raid, named Dawson. That man still sends me a card at Christmas.

I hope you find someone connected to it. And I hope they appreciate the effort. Regardless, the reward is in the challenge and knowing you did the right thing.

• Options

You got it, Dave. It IS a mixed bag of rewards.

Pete

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 4:52AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    How did you come upon the token? The family could have disposed of it on purpose when the Estate was settled. That would have been a shame! I'm sure that token meant everything to the couple as a remembrance and keepsake.

@savoyspecial gave that to me about two years ago, so it spent some time in North Carolina.

• Options

Trish on CoinTalk has found contact information for Nancy Ferrazuolo, Howard and Vesta's granddaughter, who is apparently retired and living in Las Vegas with her husband. I might get that information and attempt contact soon.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 7:27PM

@lordmarcovan: PAY YOUR STORY DEBTS DARN YOU!!! :)

More seriously, this would be a great article. Think how fascinating the story will be if you get pictures of Mr. and Mrs. Pearman, especially, if they are pictures of them circa 1919. Maybe you can discover a bit of Mr. Pearman's military history, that is, what battle(s) was he in. Presumably there might be a family story or two that you can get from his family and weave into your article. Plus, of course, a picture of Mr. and Ms. Ferrazuolo holding the token would be very cool. Yeah, this would be a tremendous story, especially given your inimitable writing style!

PS: I think for the article you should keep your initial thread title, A Christmas Wedding. And see if The Numismatist can publish it next Christmas--that would be their 100th wedding anniversary!

Mark

• Options

Neither the Grinch, nor Scrooge stole THIS Christmas story.

Pete

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan ... Great story... fantastic that you were able to find the descendants...Got into this genealogy search about two years ago... My ancestry... Found out some things I never knew... I am not who I thought I was... Well.. too late to change... ;) Sure is interesting ... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool story and gesture! Well done!!!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread, LM! I love exonumia. The research possibilities are endless, and this is a good example on how a 100 year old mystery can unravel right before your very eyes.
    Excellent story

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome CU detective work!

Happy Holidays to all!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great story, with credit to everyone involved in bringing the coin's saga full circle! I'm sure this made for a very special Christmas for Howard and Vesta's family.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very cool!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case no one reported it, here is a possibility.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2019 11:00PM

@jesbroken said:
    In case no one reported it, here is a possibility.
    Jim

LOL

I put that in the very first post of the CT thread linked in the OP. That's only where the story began. ;)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    And finally, here we have Nancy Ferrazzuolo, Vesta's granddaugher, holding Vesta and Howard's long-lost love token, which is now back in the family fold.

She looks thrilled and amazed. Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file