Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Today is the day

Comments

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa, ouch!
    Seeing those melted boxes is doing something to me.
    Just a tough pic to see, but glad you at this stage at least, safe, and now can partially concentrate on restoring some semblance of normalcy in this all, somehow.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a punch to the gut. At least you have evidence necessary for the insurance claim/ Federal and State relief/ possible lawsuit against the utility company, etc. My heart goes out to you.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 3:48PM

I've been off for a couple of days. Let me say that I'm very pleased your safe was there for you to recover and looking at your home again I'm so very sorry for your losses, but incredibly thrilled you and the family are well. Coins don't look good obviously. I'm not sure if I would be prying them apart. I guess I would have to be in your shoes, but 1 thing is certain. It would be very kind and thoughtful if PCGS did come through for you and was able to take your molten boxes and cut the coins out professionally and reslab them. I would bet unfortunately that the grades will indeed change d/t heat, vapors, and other unforseen changes. If PCGS does come through (I believe they have a big heart and will) it would be nice to have a "Paradise fire" label for your collection. I know I would buy one if you needed to resell.

As always, I wish you the best of luck.

Paul.

P.S. @crazyhounddog I read that you have rented a house. If you PM me your new addy, I would love to send you something from my own collection to get you started on your "New" collection, or maybe something for X-mas.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Underwriter Laboratories has studied fires of all sorts. With sensors inside homes, etc. They are the ones that rate your safes (newer safes). This is what they say:

Wild Fires
    People in the western states and wooded areas also need to be concerned about forest fires. In a forest fire, the temperature on the forest floor can reach 1,470°F, with hotter and hotter temperatures the higher you are off the ground.

They say the average home fire is 1,200 degrees at eye level within two minutes. Then the heat goes down due to oxygen starvation by the structure. Then it shoots straight up when the fire department breaches the outside an allows for the return of oxygen...temp can double to 2,500 degrees and then remains there for just a few minutes until the fire departments can get water on the blaze. It will then fall drastically and the worst heat is over.

The Los Angeles Fire Chief told a group of us "volunteer" firefighters that an acre of scrub oak, oak brush, California Oak, etc burn with the intensity of an Atom bomb. Stopping such a fire is extremely difficult. I was living in rural Colorado at the time (1980's) and he advised that the city/county establish laws forcing residents to remove all brush from around the home. He said 20' would be great and more even better. I had a beautiful clump of scrub oak and a huge boulder at one corner of my home. When I looked at it I could see the fire's path right up to the side of my home. Hated to remove that brush but did for safety's sake. I heard that 20 years later a brush fire (there were pines, too) did start on the hill behind that home. Thanks to all the city folk cutting back their brush only a few home were damaged and none lost.

The odds of losing your coins to a fire is far greater than losing them to theft.

bob :)

Makes me wonder how the SDBs in the Paridise, CA banks fared.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Look for an opportunity out of all this mess.

Since the PCGS and NGC readily conserve and grade coins from shipwrecks that were on the bottom of the ocean for many decades, they ought to be willing to listen to another proposal.

Instead of "shipwreck effect" maybe the coins could be marketed as "wildfire effect from Paradise" or something to that effect. Of course, that suggests that you would be willing to sell some inventory which is plausible given the overall situation.

If there is a market for sunken coins, there ought to be a market for survivors of an infamous wildfire.

I agree, but am still hoping that many of them won't need that much (if any) conservation at all other than reholdering.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    If there is a market for sunken coins, there ought to be a market for survivors of an infamous wildfire.

The "Camp Fire" pedigree could catch on.

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Hope it all goes well Joe. Todd has been keeping me informed.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Fantastic response from our host! I will be watching this thread with even more interest.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hats off to the team at PCGS!

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to see some good news. PCGS comes through for you.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the extent there are charges for doing this work by our host I would chip in some dollars to partially pay for same.

How about a forum version of go fund a reholder?

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, that's a stand up move by PCGS. I hope Joe takes the offered opportunity to have his coins restored. Now I'm excited and cant wait to see the photos of the ones that are made whole again.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fcloud said:
    Nice to see some good news. PCGS comes through for you.

Agreed, uber nice indeed!

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

It's been wonderful to see all the people stepping up to help Joe as well as the many other victims of this fire. I still have high hopes for the coins in the damaged boxes and holders.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

HUGE applause for David Talk and the team at PCGS!!!!!!!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

hoping for the best for you

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is pretty awesome! I hope the coins come back the same..

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

Way to go PCGS....way to go.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to see the slabs and boxes in that state. But I’ll bet the vast majority of the coins are OK. And it’s excellent of PCGS to offer the reholdering.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I ever wanted a wider audience to sell to, I wouldn't label my coins as the survivor or any fire. Not everyone would care enough. I'd be one to avoid that.

If folks wanted to have keepers and memorialize it, then that is different.

Just my 2c worth.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Bochiman, I wouldn't name them as being in a fire. I think it would put a stigma on them for some people even though they are in PCGS plastic. I would mount the melted mass of silver coins in an encased frame and name that after the fire.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a good idea .... maybe for liability reason alone it is a good idea :)

@thevolcanogod said:
    PCGS should do an “unboxing” video showing the process of recovering these coins. Like those videos Dawn did of the ducks after Deepwater Horizon or Exxon Valdez or whichever oil spill it was. Would make a great promotial video.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe. We don't know each other, but your plight is very heart-sentimental for some of us that deal with mother natures calamities. Alaskans and Californians and Hawaiians all have this in COMMON. Just got ripped up too up here but not as bad as your loss.
    I wish you CHEERS and ALOHA to the MOST.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 11:25PM

Joe and his family have been through so much
    I'm so touched at everything PCGS has done to ease their hurt

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 10:48PM

Very nice gesture PCGS. :sunglasses:

Best wishes getting things sorted Joe.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic news. Joe needs all the help his family can get. Cheers to PCGS!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS kicks so much ass...I Love it! ;)

• Options
    unspendableunspendable Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

what a wonderful thing for PCGS to do for the hobby, I'm thinking the safe did its job.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file