Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Today is the day

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man...I have such a knot in my stomach after reading and seeing those pictures. I’m glad you and your family are safe!

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@Batman23 said:
    I too would like to know if the flips adhered to the surface of the coin like glue or will easily peal off with no affect.

So far all I can tell you is it’s like shrink wrap. The flips are hard and sharp so I might leave it to the experts to see if they can be saved. I’m afraid that I’ll ruin something and I’m not in the mood to do that.
    Maybe if I get real brave I’ll take a stab but it this point they are really stuck fast in the box.

This would make a great documentary video of the process. I hope you document the effort. Doesn't have to be an hour....15 minutes can convey a lot of the agony.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

the best of everything

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    CHD,
    I’ve got some DC pieces. If all yours end up being toast, I’d gladly send you one of mine free to start your rebuilder set.

In fact, I’d trade a mint one for one of your burnt pieces in a second if it would eliminate an oz of your pain. But I would not even need to trade really. Just throwing that out there. I bet your friends here could rebuild your whole DC collection and would be happy to do it.

Seriously cool of you!

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    ... unfortunately it’s gonna take an act of God to remove these coins not just from the flips but from the box.

From what I can see in this photo is maybe a few bullion bars up top? Maybe the halogram ones? I have a few of those, and below that maybe an octagon? I was lucky enough to get the first ones in pairs. The logic being one for each kid, but truthfully, the family only needs one. I would part with one in this case.

CHD, I will await the results of the restoration process, but keep us posted if you can.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Joe, send me your address, I have a DC piece I know you'll love. With Coupe and Wildidea joining in you'll be off to a good start. I'm sure others will do the same.

I saw that 2017 Libertad Set in your photos. How did it turn out?

I have some dupes I can send after the New Year. Keep me in the loop on what you are sending

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    I was gonna suggest putting them in the oven. Heat melted it in the first place, let the heat unmelt it???

I wonder if boiling hot water would help. Just watch your finger tips!

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Joe, send me your address, I have a DC piece I know you'll love. With Coupe and Wildidea joining in you'll be off to a good start. I'm sure others will do the same.

I saw that 2017 Libertad Set in your photos. How did it turn out?

I have some dupes I can send after the New Year. Keep me in the loop on what you are sending

m

Count me in! I have some dupes I am happy to send as well.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 6:47PM

I have read all of the threads on this disaster so if this was previously mentioned I apologize in advance for reposting it. I never saw this article in Coin World mentioned here so I just thought I would pass it along. It was in the December 24th issue.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 5:46PM

That's a nice CoinWorld editorial. It's going to take the residents of Paradise and surrounding areas a long time to recover/rebuild. I sincerely wish them a better new year in 2019.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file