Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Nickel in Change

At three different locations, in one evening, received in change, two Buffalo Nickels (one a 1935-S), a well used 1940 Jefferson and, a 1945-P War Nickel. It has been 60 years since that has happened. Not a profitable evening, but, different.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like someone spent Dad's collection......good for you...

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

But it WAS profitable! At the very least the experience of getting so lucky.

Keep purchasing stuff involving getting back change. There may be more lurking out there.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right place, right time - the numismatic fairy smiled on you.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great news, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... now that is different... Have not received a Buff in change this year... and a war nickel... you are on a roll.... go back and clean out the nickel drawers in those registers...Cheers, RickO

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Had another Buffalo earlier this summer. It has been unusual to say the least. Still hoping to see a silver quarter or dime.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, I love going thru my change, anything can happen

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a heckuva day.
    Buffaloes have been exceedingly rare change finds for me and I go back to the late sixties/early seventies looking through change.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

A buff in change, that is very neat! I just picked up a well used 1940 in change a few days ago too. 80 year old circulating coinage is fun to find and think about where it's been.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    A buff in change, that is very neat! I just picked up a well used 1940 in change a few days ago too. 80 year old circulating coinage is fun to find and think about where it's been.

....and it's more likely to happen now than when I first started going through rolls in the early 70s.
    I NEVER found a coin from 1880-1890 "back then."

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@Batman23 said:

....and it's more likely to happen now than when I first started going through rolls in the early 70s.

Very true. Here in about 20 years I think it will be fun slowly releasing a bunch of the 100 year old coins into the wild.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra Those are nice finds.

This day and age it is so hard to get loose change anymore. I must admit that the ease of plastic is the cause. I think I will make the attempt this holiday season to use more cash during some travelling and see what is found.

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

mannie gray Posts

You were about fifteen years too late. Found the 1880's and 1890's in change and rolls in the late fifties early sixties. Still have a few of those finds in my books and boxes. Collecting was more fun then.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file