Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has being a collector messed with other life priorities?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 8, 2018 3:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

At the last show I attended I sat and had some laughs with a dealer who has known me since I was in my teens. He remembered my car which needed a jump after I was trying to leave a show 2 states away. I was already buying 4 figure coins, but blowing my coin budget on wheels wasn't a priority. It was a 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix which ate oil and and as it was white I could make it look spiffy with Ajax. Heck I didn't even pay for that boat as I traded a leather jacket and a gold ring for it. It got me by for a couple years until I felt pressured to purchase something brand new.

Anyone else... As I can't be all alone? :s

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% no, I only spend money on coins that I can afford to. Coin collecting never invades on my other hobbies or life needs.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 3:38PM

Yeah I for a brief moment once wondered what I'd look like if I spent all my post time here at the gym instead?

Then I saw this below and as there's drawbacks this forum was a better bet :D

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should be decorating the tree with the kids right now but instead I'm here. Does that count?

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably, but having a hobby can keep those other life priorities from driving you nuts when you need a break. I guess having a good balance is key.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did it in my youth but I don’t do it now. I have a good career. I own a nice home and a nice car. I pay all my bills and I have very little debt. I also save a lot for retirement.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 4:41PM

No. I've been very lucky money- wise. Many, many people have helped me along the way. WHAT GOES AROUND SHOULD COME AROUND. So.........my first priority this season is furniture for daughter-in- law #3. The refrigerator and bath room make-over for #1. The water softener for #2. They need it in Idaho. And, furniture for #4 for her new house in Utah. They are The most important. And, toys for the 11 little Hydrants. That's up to Mrs. Hydrant and their mommies. And don't forget Mrs. Hydrant. Who could? One look at her and you'd know EXACTLY what I mean. So..........that 1807 Capped Bust half ? Well, it's on the back burner for now. Like it always has been. Other things are WAY more important than coins.

MERRY CHRISTMAS BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'm still trying to get my life back....

"Were thy heart as hard as steel/ As thou hast shown it flinty by thy deeds/ I come to pierce it, or to give thee mine." Henry VI, Act Two, Scene One

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I live in 1200 sq ft house, plus a garage. That leaves cash available for coins.

@logger7 said:
    Yes, I'm still trying to get my life back....

"Were thy heart as hard as steel/ As thou hast shown it flinty by thy deeds/ I come to pierce it, or to give thee mine." Henry VI, Act Two, Scene One

You, my man, Are a gentleman and a scholar. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Family is priority. Kids grown, we are comfortable, and any $ for the hobby is categorized as non-essential expenses. Just being realistic for any hobby.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 5:05PM

Being a collector turned me into a dealer so I guess so.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a brilliant sigline from a guy in the sports forum. Essentially his kids wouldn't be able to go to college, but he had finally obtained a handful of top graded cards of athletes he could not stand.

It is way better than that but I can't find it.

A true collector!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Being a collector turned me into a dealer so I guess so.

Same here.
    Then dealing made me strive to get out of that. :D

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 5:12PM

My older brother had that exact same car and I borrowed it to take my date to the HS prom. Big chunky platform shoes were the rage back then along with super wide lapels. Driving that long hooded car with my blonde date, I was stepping out.....!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    edited December 9, 2018 1:35AM

@Broadstruck said:

@Hydrant said:
    No. I've been very lucky money- wise. Many, many people have helped me along the way. WHAT GOES AROUND SHOULD COME AROUND. So.........my first priority this season is furniture for daughter-in- law #3. The refrigerator and bath room make-over for #1. The water softener for #2. They need it in Idaho. And, furniture for #4 for her new house in Utah. They are The most important. And, toys for the 11 little Hydrants. That's up to Mrs. Hydrant and their mommies. And don't forget Mrs. Hydrant. Who could? One look at her and you'd know EXACTLY what I mean. So..........that 1807 Capped Bust half ? Well, it's on the back burner for now. Like it always has been. Other things are WAY more important than coins.

MERRY CHRISTMAS BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!!

@Hydr

Just
    Hydrant, Why do you need softer water to do a number two?

Broadstruck. I've noticed something about you from way back. When I was a lurker around here many moons ago. When you posted here and when you made disparaging comments concerning the moderator of the unofficial C A C website six years ago, to your fondness of "POTTY COINS." Oh, how many years I've waited to be your TARGET. Only a matter of time. You may be a great collector of coins .......but your humor.......it's in the TOILET. You have always been quick to dish it out. Can you take it? MERRY CHRISTMAS.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not once have i put coin money or time ahead of anything more important; it's why my collection has never reached the Quality it could have, and also why none of the other aspects of life are mediocre nor world class. I chose balance and well rounded-ness over 45 years ago and haven't wavered.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

edited December 9, 2018 1:37AM

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Glad you got a LOL out of it. And actually I know you're o.k. But why were you so down on JA's friend. Just asking. Never could figure it out. I guess I'm out of the loop. MERRY CHRISTMAS my friend.

Well first off I did not target you, so I hope your years of waiting isn't a major disappointment. Yes that was potty related humor on my part, but I do not collect nor have I ever purchased a single potty trade dollar. As far as CAC is concerned my only issue is when collectors use the sticker as a crutch instead of continuing to gain knowledge on their own.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 7:32PM

It's backwards for me:

Life priorities messed with me being a collector.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long ago I learned to set boundaries for life's activities. Family and sustenance always comes first. Hobbies and pleasures have a place and should not be neglected - they lend balance to the rigors of life. One must have discipline in all things. Cheers, RickO

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all seeing that car really brings back memories to me. I graduated high school in the 70's and dreamed of having a nice car like that. For me I settled for a '69 Camaro (cost $800 in 1975 and looked great at midnight in the moonlight) and ... and then marriage and children and other responsibilities came along. I didn't return to collecting money for another 30 years. During all of those intervening years I had other activities which occupied all of my time and attention, so collecting just wasn't on my list of priorities at all. But as the nest emptied and other activites were no longer part of my daily routine, I came back to collecting. I agree with @keets in that the hobby brings me joy and is relaxing. I find collecting to be well suited to my personal situation, and also I enjoy the acquaintances I've gained in the hobby.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, to a degree. I mentally compare all nonessential purchases with the equivalent cost of items on my numismatic wish list.
    The love I have for coins has curbed my spending on most impulse or nonessential items in life.

Items avoided for coins include;
    Alcohol, extra tools, new cars, car modifications, camaro speed parts, extravagant vacations, junk food, soda, bars and trendy restaurants, costly recreational activities, guns and ammo, cable tv, art painting, overpriced clothing, candle making,

other collections are now avoided like; depression glass, pub glasses,
    hallmark Star Trek ornaments, model cars/ boats, comic books, first edition books, pewter figurines, Louis L’amour books, paintings, limited run compact discs, longaberger baskets, dvds, t-shirts, stamps, sports cards, trading cards, Pogs, lamps,

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I've always had my priorities straight.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Balance, Grasshopper... Balance.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't crashed the race car in awhile so I'm feeling rather flush.
    I could invest it responsibly but what's the fun in that?

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hasn't messed with my priorities. When I have some mad money I like to shop and I like to play poker. Sometimes coins win and sometimes poker wins.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

no coin collecting has never messed with my priorities, as i have planned for spending money on coins as part of the household budget , cause i plan the budget carefully and oddly enough has worked well

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file