Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let us not forget what happened 77 years ago today!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2018 10:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

We lost a lot of good men at Pearl Harbor that day! :'(

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018 10:57AM

<3 RIP for those who lost their lives Sunday morning in Pearl Harbor

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:(

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the past decade or so I have paid attention to the amount of media coverage and other discussion of historical events of the 20th century.

The reality of things is that the attention paid to Pearl Harbor Day, VE Day, VJ Day, August 6th, August 9th, etc. has dropped off dramatically. The reason is that the persons who lived through these events are dying off and will soon be gone. Each July 4th at a local parade in my county of residence Pearl Harbor survivors are celebrated with a ride down the main street in a fancy convertible. The past couple of years there have been only a few of these survivors in the parade.

When I was a kid in the 1960's and 1970's there was wide spread attention paid to the historical events surrounding WWI. Not any more.

Elvis Presley used to be a big thing after his death. Each August 16th crowds would descend on Graceland to pay homage to the King Of Rock And Roll. Not so much any more.

Life goes on, but I woke up today and felt sorrow in my heart for all of those who experienced the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Bless them all.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannot forget what happened to me on this date 51 years ago. Entered the Army at Fort Lewis, WA.

Ken

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a coin collector I think I automatically put my coins into their historical time frame and try to think about
    our country during the minting of our coinage. When I hold am 1812 CBH I imagine the state of our country
    during the war of 1812 or a war nickel and think about the national need for specific metals for the war etc.
    Whenever I hold one of my 1817 coins I think about the building of the Erie Canal that year.

I have always taught my children to study and UNDERSTAND our history and coinage is a perfect lead in.

Here is the only pic of a 41 coin I have on this pc in memory.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.
    And thank God USA Aircraft Carriers were out at sea and not docked at Pearl Harbor during the attack. War would have had a different out come.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never forgotten, aways remembered!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted this earlier on the other thread.

This is a model of the USS Arizona in its current state.

Was there last week:

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked at a propeller company here in Connecticut and up on the wall in small writing was 12/7/41, infamy. its still there today

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hallowed ground. Sacred ground.

If you haven't had a chance to visit the memorial, you should do it. It will take your breath away.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visited the Arizona Memorial on my way back from S. Korea in 1996...very solemn indeed.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've visited this memorial almost every time I've gone to the islands. Isn't the Arizona Memorial closed for repairs now?

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it was closed. All we did was float by it.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@fivecents said:
    Yes.
    And thank God USA Aircraft Carriers were out at sea and not docked at Pearl Harbor during the attack. War would have had a different out come.

Outcome would have been the same. Just longer and costlier.

I agree. The people would gear-up, hunker down, and got the job done. The great people, factories and shipyards would have still churned out what was needed for WWWII, perhaps even more so. One of reasons why it is called The United States of America.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a lot of activities and events going on at Pearl Harbor today !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Over the past decade or so I have paid attention to the amount of media coverage and other discussion of historical events of the 20th century.

The reality of things is that the attention paid to Pearl Harbor Day, VE Day, VJ Day, August 6th, August 9th, etc. has dropped off dramatically. The reason is that the persons who lived through these events are dying off and will soon be gone. Each July 4th at a local parade in my county of :) residence Pearl Harbor survivors are celebrated with a ride down the main street in a fancy convertible. The past couple of years there have been only a few of these survivors in the parade.

When I was a kid in the 1960's and 1970's there was wide spread attention paid to the historical events surrounding WWI. Not any more.

Elvis Presley used to be a big thing after his death. Each August 16th crowds would descend on Graceland to pay homage to the King Of Rock And Roll. Not so much any more.

Life goes on, but I woke up today and felt sorrow in my heart for all of those who experienced the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Bless them all.

Unfortunately it is a reality that as time goes by the memories of historical events fade. A little over a hundred years ago "Remember the Maine" was universally understood. Now....?

I recall about 25 years ago I was in a crowded restaurant and there was a wait to get a table. An elderly couple was also waiting and I heard the husband say to his wife: "I'll bet even Eddie Rickenbacker couldn't get a table here." I smiled as I recognized it as a very dated reference to the WWI flying Ace and aviation pioneer who was a household name in their youth, but who was virtually unknown by most people in the 1990s. I knew who Rickenbacker was because of my interest in history but also because I had worked with his grandson a few years before. :)

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly I heard today on the radio that it is the first Pearl Harbor day that no survivor from the Arizona would be in attendance. Reported that the few remaining survivors are too frail to make the trip.

Time marches on :'(

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    coinzzzcoinzzz Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

My great grandfather was at pearl harbor and was lucky enough to survive and died this spring. Thank you for reminding us sometimes we can forget.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinzzz said:
    My great grandfather was at pearl harbor and was lucky enough to survive and died this spring. Thank you for reminding us sometimes we can forget.

So sorry for you loss. There aren't too many WWII Vets still with us. I remember back in the 60's when the last known soldier from the Civil War died.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is true that memories fade... sadly, not only are we losing 'the greatest generation'...current youth are woefully uninformed and in fact hold disdain for such things. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file