Home U.S. Coin Forum

The luster made me do it!

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee whiz Wally! I hope I didn't just pay for more tuition. $325 for the double mint set missing two coins. Please, let me know what you think? Either way, it will be Makers Mark and a stare down contest later...

Comments

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's the rest of the set?? I only see the Denver Coins and your missing a Dime and a Nickel. You way over paid for what you got

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what to say. $325 seems a lot for those. I do not think any will grade high enough, so hoping you got some type of variety hidden somewhere.

IMHO.

Good luck!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like tuition so far but, I was hoping the Walkers would at least grade to a '64 or 5.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was this an ebay purchase?

Collector, occasional seller

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the original look of these coins. if you price these out individually....not too sure about the price. I would try to fill in the missing coins with coins of a similar look and enjoy them as a set, which is very cool IMO.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a conservation project? Do tell your motives -- :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

@ChrisH821 said:
    Was this an ebay purchase?

No, local jeweler.

@Akbeez said:
    Is this a conservation project? Do tell your motives -- :)

It is now, seeing how the general consensus is going. Therefore, I gave them both a bath.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure but I’m thinking maybe better before the bath

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Would have left them alone and maybe tried to find the missing coins in approximate same look and then sell as a complete half mint set. Would have probably recouped costs from someone else.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thevolcanogod said:
    Would have left them alone and maybe tried to find the missing coins in approximate same look and then sell as a complete half mint set. Would have probably recouped costs from someone else.

It's only 1/3 of a mints set there should have been 3 cards one for each mint in the envelope,

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you garner a 67 grade on one of the Walkers, you are definitely going to be upside down. For you to come out on this deal, you would have needed to pay 150 for the set and have the Walkers grade 66. Check the total cost to have 5 coins graded at PCGS with to and from shipping.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the original mint set cards/holders were white/manilla color?

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I think they are much nicer without the pox. MS70 dip or ?

@Hemispherical From the looks of the OGP it's been compromised -- delaminated?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins and glad you will enjoy them. Price is relative for the long term.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@Akbeez said:

Possibly. But those “stains” on the second pic (reverse) look like liquid droplets because when looking at first photo (obverse) the “stains” are around the coin holes. Or it was a bad job with the glue. Or something...

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Looks a little pricey for only part of the set. I liked the original set toning on the coins more, in my opinion.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously, it's only a partial set with the P-card and S-card missing, but is the Jefferson nickel really a D-mint? In my opinion, you are upside down on this uneven group of coins.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited December 7, 2018 7:04PM

@CoinscratchFever Found any varieties or errors?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

No bands on the dime, no steps in the Jeff and I bet the best two coins are missing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Akbeez said:

Just some cheap jewelry dip for like 10 secs. And its much easier to see the flaws now on the high points.

I'll have to send the best in for better or worse and then enjoy them anyway :) Thanks for all the input. What do you guess the grade would catch ms?

@PTVETTER said:
    Not sure but I’m thinking maybe better before the bath

I agree, it looks more nostalgic that way but this one kinda looked just dirty.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sending them in will compound your losses.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no mint mark at all on the Jefferson.... It looks as if you overpaid... Your tuition should be paid in full for next year.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would have kept the mint set toning. Maybe go back to that "local jeweler" and ask where the rest of the set is, who knows, maybe it's there someplace. They are at least nice coins, but nothing special.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think you should go out and just look at a whole lot more coins before making more large purchases. You should get a feel for what is nice and what is nice. You seem to be jumping in with both feet before learning to swim and I fear you are going to end up burned out and bitter at this rate. No one becomes an expert instantly.

As far as grade, probably both MS65, but on the other hand, the last two walkers I sent in that I thought were 65's came back 64's. So probably both 64. I wouldn't send them in unless I had a fairly large group going already.

Collector, occasional seller

@ACop said:
    Sending them in will compound your losses.

Yea, but whats another $35 at this point. I almost have to send one in besides, they look better to me in the holder.

@ChrisH821 said:
    I think I would have kept the mint set toning. Maybe go back to that "local jeweler" and ask where the rest of the set is, who knows, maybe it's there someplace. They are at least nice coins, but nothing special.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think you should go out and just look at a whole lot more coins before making more large purchases. You should get a feel for what is nice and what is nice. You seem to be jumping in with both feet before learning to swim and I fear you are going to end up burned out and bitter at this rate. No one becomes an expert instantly.

As far as grade, probably both MS65, but on the other hand, the last two walkers I sent in that I thought were 65's came back 64's. So probably both 64. I wouldn't send them in unless I had a fairly large group going already.

Yes, I need to make time and find some actual coin dealers and look at some of these in hand to get a better feel. I admit that was an impulse buy and because of the type of places I have been going, to me it looked like the find of the year!

If you look at PCGS's pics of 67 & 67+ they're all banged up looking in the high point from her head to the feet. But, maybe the part I'm missing is the frosty looking surfaces through out.

Don't worry about burning out, failure is not an option :)

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatic tuition. I have done a lot worse.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3 You LUST little Numist >:)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The packaging really fell apart. Surprised there wasn't more toning. Nice coins none the less.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taco Bell napkins.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's OK to fall in love if you know a little about her,, but even better if you know more.

Go forth and quit getting mad at your money :)

The guy said the packaging was made of unobtainium...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file