Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AU or MS?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 4, 2018 1:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So what do you think? NO TRICKS HERE. This attractive coin has hardly any marks, no toning and great luster. There is a change of color up Liberty's body. You should not need to see the rest of the coin to take this poll. Requests to see its edge, reverse, or anything else will be ignored. The most helpful answer for all of us will give the reason for your opinion. :)

AU or MS?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looks like a weak strike. Cabinet friction may be present, but I need to see more to determine that.

thefinn
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weak strike often taken as high AU but sold as MS.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks MS to me, frost...

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018 2:13PM

"Where is the rub
    You said you'd give to me
    Soon as you were free
    Will it ever be
    Where is the rub"

Roberta may have sung those words! I don't see any, skirt lines are defined, and, as often found on this design, no split fingers or breast wear. If there is even luster present (and you described as great luster), my vote is MS-58 perhaps with wear on thigh (?).

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weak strike with appearance of uneven putty :o

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU 58.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms. Liberty is a MS.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing the break in luster as rub... AU58...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭

I usually look at the whole coin before I grade it. ;)

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

By color change, there is a diff between lower skirt and left arm. Other high points are similarly affected. Leads me to light wear considering the poor quality pic. AU58

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Looks like rub on the breast but difficult to say from this photo. Would take a chance at 58 prices and hope for ms.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC ?

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fivecents said:
    PVC ?

agree

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

AU-58....1942S by the weak strike...

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think low grade MS. The questionable areas look too spotty to me for wear or rub.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 with gentle rub. Not intrusive and not within the wear realm. Just rub so ms downgraded two points.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

central weakness but wear on outstretched arm. AU58 would be my WAG

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rub and wear IMO....AU.... tough to judge from a partial picture as opposed to in hand... but that is what I think... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell if it's AU or MS from that pic but I can guarantee that If you try to sell that coin raw to a coin dealer he won't pay MS money for it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I can't tell if it's AU or MS from that pic but I can guarantee that If you try to sell that coin raw to a coin dealer he won't pay MS money for it.

What if it’s a 21-p, d, s or 19-d, s etc?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

@PerryHall said:

I didn't say a dealer wouldn't buy it. I said he would buy it as a mint state coin from what I can see in the OP's pic. He'd most likely try to buy it as an AU coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Aye, there's the rub". Hamlet: Act III, Scene I

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roll or stacking friction is still rub

How many points to Net grade from an otherwise Gem depends upon the extent of the effect

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@KollectorKing said:

@PerryHall said:

I didn't say a dealer wouldn't buy it. I said he would buy it as a mint state coin from what I can see in the OP's pic. He'd most likely try to buy it as an AU coin.

My point is that there are many ms58 key semi-key coins that reside in ms holders :o

NOT if dealers will buy the above coin :o

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

im in the au 58 camp

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said: DON'T HATE ME This is a teaching moment to make two points:

1. Much of the time you cannot tell anything from an image.

2. There is no set rule anymore about how much luster is lost from the high points of a coin (no matter what caused the loss except for cleaning) before it drops from a Mint State grade.

So what do you think? NO TRICKS HERE. This attractive coin has hardly any marks, no toning and great luster. There is a change of color up Liberty's body.

Therefore, all of you are correct!

The coin IN HAND is AU-58. It has a clean, attractive, lustrous surface with no really detracting marks. That equals a "Choice" coin. However, the friction that does not show well in the photo is too much to be called "roll rub," "stacking," or "cabinet friction" This did not show in the image.

The surface is completely gone.

Now let's take a look at the original image. There is a change of color. It can be from friction wear (that's the case) so a choice coin with friction on the high pointes = AU-58. Not enough for anything lower. It can be from a weak strike and the image shows the usual "weak strike frost" present on silver coins. BUT, now that you see the 20X magnification you can tell it is not an original, frosty surface. What else? Someone mentioned "putty." The original image does have the "look" of an altered surface due to the whitish splotches.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real AU coin. Nice. Now, let's get all the over graded junk out of "MS" holders and back where they honestly belong. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file