Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just turned 66 & realized I've been a collector for 57 years. This is how I started, how about you.

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back in 1961, I was a nine year old boy growing up in Santa Barbara, CA. Like most kids in those days we spent Saturdays playing outdoor games and basically running around on our neighbors’ lawn (at least until Mrs. Sturgess waved her cane and ran us off). When we needed money, we would round up all the soda bottles we could find and take them down to Mousers Grocery Store and get two cents a bottle. My goal was always to turn in five bottles for ten cents. Back then, that would get me a candy bar and five pieces of “Penny” candy.

One day my friend Jimmy Kinsey and I went down to the store with our bottles where Mr. Mouser gave me my ten Lincoln cents. One looked oddly different. I asked Mr. Mouser, “What kind of penny is this”? Mr. Mouser told me it was a steel war penny and that is just the way they looked.

Jimmy told me his dad collected coins and was sure he could tell us about it. Off on the bikes to Jimmy’s house we rode, with my treasure in hand. Jimmy’s dad (whose name is lost to history) looked at it and explained that the war effort needed copper and so they made Lincoln cents out of steel in 1943. He then pointed out the mint mark and explained that the “S” meant it was made in San Francisco. I guess I looked very interested (I was) because he asked me if I would like to look at some cool stuff from his collection. I jumped at the chance. Jimmy and I must have spent a couple of hours there as he showed me dozens and dozens of coins and currency that until then, I had never seen or even knew existed. I still remember two things he showed me, an uncut sheet of HAWAII WWII Banknotes, and a 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent. I was in awe, and had a million questions which he tried to answer. Finally he told me that a coin show was happening the next Saturday and invited me to come along with Jimmy and himself.

To a nine year old kid, this coin show was amazing! Everywhere I looked were cases and cases filled with coins. At one table a dealer asked me what I collected. I told him I hadn’t started yet, but I would probably save “Pennies”. He handed me an old used Library of Coins Lincoln Cent 1909-1940 coin album and told me I could have it. Not only did he give me the folder, but it had about a dozen Lincoln Cents in it. The only stipulation was to come back next year and show him how many holes I filled (I still have it!) . Little did Jimmy Kinsey’s father know, but he started me on a journey that has taken me down some magical roads for over fifty years. Wherever you are Mr. Kinsey, thank you for igniting my interest into a fascinating world.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 8:59AM

HBD2U

I started in the mid '60s and left in the mid '70's. Returned at the turn of the century and asked myself "why", in my mid 60's, too.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started about 1970 with the wheat backs and roll hunting. my uncle got me started on the Canadian series then went to the us coins again. I still like the Canadian currency as well

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is your Christmas month Birthday Poinsettia ...... HAPPY BIRTHDAY <3
    I really enjoy your childhood story and please show us your steel penny :)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid in the sixties, I remember walking to a local department store and checking out the coins offered. Here's a thread from 2014 regarding Woolworth's:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/927172/do-any-department-stores-still-have-coin-and-stamp-departments

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 11:03AM

Loved your story, Happy Birthday!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started around 1986 or 87 when I asked my step-grandfather what the letter D and P meant on the coins. I remember hopping on his lap and he explained the mint marks and whatnot and then I hopped off and he gave me a small box that had wheatbacks, worn slick mercs, a Morgan dollar and misc. world coins.

From then on I was hooked. He ended up dying the day after x-mas in 1990 and I watched it all happen, I was just 11. Since than x-mas doesn't mean much to me.

I don't focus on U.S. coins much anymore but still, have a soft spot for early coppers and seated liberties. So I still own those, but I focus on ancients now since 2009 & often wonder how he would act to see something sold old could be collected so cheaply.

He also got me into history, National Geographics/Nature TV and fossils.

Have a good birthday!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started in the late 60's/early 70's because my brother (who is 10 years older than me) also collected. I remember getting started by going through a coffee can that my grandfather had that was about 1/3 of the way filed with Indian Head Cents. I also collected Wheat Cents from bank rolls. It wasn't until I was about 12 or so when I started mowing lawns that I had funds to search Half Dollar rolls for silver pieces and go to the coin shop to buy coins for my collection. One of the first coins I ever bought was a well worn and beaten up 1798 Large Cent... it had a readable date, and it was minted in the 18th Century!!! lol!!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful story!

Happy birthday and keep on collecting!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading UtahCoin's story and welled up, I must be getting sentimental in my old age.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Wes . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

great story and happy birthday!!!

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday!! Wish for many more.

Be glad your birth was not 24 days later. Might have lost out on presents. 😃

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UtahCoin Thanks for sharing your story! Enjoyed it.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Yikes!!! me too.
    just turned 71. Started collecting at age 7. 64 years.
    still have the circulated 1932-S quarter picked from change when I was 7yo.
    also the Morgans exchanged for paper dollars (my allowances) straight out of a cafe register in Las Vegas 1958.
    and of course the 1893 columbian half given to me by my Great grandfather who was at the worlds fair in Chicago in 1893.
    that started it all.

Now top registry sets PCGS and NGC of U.S Philippines. a 43 year hunt.
    My Avatar is the 6th Army patch worn by my father in the Philippines in WWII.

"Have fun with your coins" quote by David hall
    Krueger

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

Likewise, thanks for sharing. Always interesting to read of how others got inspired and started.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like you I've been collecting for 57 years. I started in the summer of 1961 when I saw a blue Whitman Lincoln 1c folder in a display case and asked what it was. The proprietor took it out of the case, showed it to me, and gave me all the cents in his cash register to look thru. I was hooked!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story @UtahCoin .

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love all your stories, Happy Birthday !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday... Great story... the parts about turning in bottles for the deposit and also 'penny candy' sure struck a chord with me.... I recall finding a cent now and then on the sidewalk or other place and running to the local candy shop and buying a penny candy. I started collecting in the early 50's....Most of those coins disappeared after I joined the Navy (kid brother and Mother cleaning the room), including two '55 DDO's...(I joined the Navy in '59 and they were not worth all that much at the time). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot to add my collecting roots.
    Also back in 1961, I got a proof set from Santa for Christmas. I was 7 at the time. I still have the set which resides it's blue Capital Plastics holder. I used to look at it all the time, amazed at how bright and shiny the surfaces were. Little did I know that I would branch off into cameo proofs as a main obsession later in life.

At the same time, one of my neighborhood friends Buddy Patzke was getting into collecting pennies. His mother was able to get us bags of pennies from the parking meters in Racine Wisconsin. We would get a bag of cents and try to fill the holes in our Whitman tri-fold albums. One bag would hold our attention for a couple of hours and was a welcome relief from playing in the snow during the winter. Overall, we did pretty well in filing holes. Only the key dates were unfound ( '09s vdb, 14d, 22 plain, and 31s. We found the others as I recall. Also was able to fill a number of holes with Indian cents too.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started in the 60's during the great Silver hoard. We would tag along with our parents when they would go to the bank. Also searched for buffalos nickels. Got back in in the 1990's.
    I enjoy it more today. Cheers.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2018 9:57AM

I'm sure I've posted this before on related threads, but my interest in coin collecting started when I was in the second grade in 1959. The front page of the Weekly Reader had an article about the new Lincoln Memorial penny. (I can still see the front page in my mind)

The new cents, must have made sense to me since I was hooked instantly. :)

Edit: I found a picture of the front page on the Internet (amazing). Almost exactly as I remember it.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember those Weekly Readers - was a high point every week. As I recall, they were printed in different color in each week.

I cannot even imagine the propaganda that would be in there these days.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stories!

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Began in 1956. We lived near Boston and many of the 55 DDO appeared there. The Boston Globe ran an ad offering $10 for the coin, which was a princely sum at that time. My cousin Bob and I searched a bazillioncents on his living room floor and did not find one....fast forward to 2005 during a penny ante game in Falmouth, MA. Sure enough, another cousin Paul finds the damn coin in AU50. 😟

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UtahCoin Happy Birthday. I hope you had a great one.

A lot of great stories. My favorite is @BustDMs.

Thanks for sharing the stories. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2018 6:39PM

hello

calling on @UtahCoin ....... to claim your belated B-day gift .... in the holder befitting of your childhood story <3

There are many Mio numbers of this steel coin out there BUT this holder is a Classic I know you would enjoy ;)

• Options
    edited December 2, 2018 6:42PM

:/ I PM'd you as well as writting on the Wall but no response :(

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here I am, here I am!

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a nod to the crusty old guys (of course, that doesn't include me--I'm just old) I will mention that I have posted this before. For the new folks, though...

1962--I was playing in a park when I found what I later learned was an EF (hey, back then we still realized that the word extremely starts with an E not an X) 1917 type 1 standing liberty quarter...wait a minute---NAKED BOOB!!!!...a 10 year old boy was forever hooked.

Here's what that coin looks like today after 50+ years as an off and on pocket piece.

With that start is it any wonder that I'm called the Bustchaser?

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    HBD2U

I started in the mid '60s and left in the mid '70's. Returned at the turn of the century and asked myself "why", in my mid 60's, too.

That's basically how it went for me. I collected the heck out of coins in the beginning! Life changes, work, and girls made me put away the coin books.

It wasn't till the late 1970's till I again took interest, and I don't remember what set me off.

Things ebbed and flowed for me and here I am today.

A kid in an adult body still drooling over those little round things.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

On my 10th birthday in 1958 my favorite uncle gave me a like new shiny 1880-0 Morgan. Lasted a week before I lost it. Sometime later my mother found it in my brother's clothing drawer. My uncle said he had better keep it for me in his leather snap lid change purse. For years he would open it ever so slowly and pull out the little brown paper envelope and show it to me. He died on my 16th birthday and I did not see the coin until 41 years later. But he got me started on coin collecting when he gave me a worn 1913 T1 buffalo nickel which I still have in the 1st complete buffalo collection I had. In the safe for my youngest granddaughter. Before he passed Schley taught me about the coming end of silver in circulation. So by the end of 60's I had accumulated many rolls of face value silver

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie said:
    Began in 1956. We lived near Boston and many of the 55 DDO appeared there. The Boston Globe ran an ad offering $10 for the coin, which was a princely sum at that time. My cousin Bob and I searched a bazillioncents on his living room floor and did not find one....fast forward to 2005 during a penny ante game in Falmouth, MA. Sure enough, another cousin Paul finds the damn coin in AU50. 😟

Now THAT is one heckuva story!

PF........you better start playing penny games.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story. Did you go back a year later with the folder?

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file