Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Modern Star Notes

Hello, I have lurked on the forum for some time having inherited old silver coins and silver certificates, etc. I have a tiny bit of knowledge about the silver certificates but do not know about modern currency, so would appreciate any info on star notes from the currency experts here. I got $300 out of the ATM yesterday and all of the notes were star notes (2017 $20's). I got $100 more and two of those were also star notes and consecutive. Before I spend these, do you think they have any value over face? One website showed there were 3,200,000 in this production run in Ft. Worth. Serial numbers: NL 02255401* - NL 02255417* The bills look new and unused to me, but they came out of the ATM, so.
Thanks for any help, chillypepper

Comments

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

I'm not an expert on modern star notes. But I have understood that the low(er) runs of 320,000 or less are the more desirable. Not to mention the best condition possible also. Browse this site, can be helpful.

mycurrencycollection.com/reference/star-notes/tables

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mainejoe is correct. Modern star note collectors pay more for low print runs, 250K, 320K and 640K . Large runs, 3.2M are typically found in packs of 100 and not as rare or hard to find.

• Options

So, it sounds like the 17 consecutive star notes (like new condition) may have come from a pack of 100 star notes from that larger production that were loaded into the ATM and do not have much value over face. Thanks, good to know.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to notes, condition is everything. If course the more zeroes from the left the better. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe put them up on EBay and see if they generate some interest.

• Options

Thanks, I might do that. I think I might be confused as to what uncirculated condition means though. I always assumed it meant the bills were never distributed (still in the pack). Now I just read uncirculated means "no folds or bends or dirt smudges and the note must have 4 sharp corners." Seems that would apply to my notes.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

If your bills meet the grade criteria you would be fair to list them as CU. Include some good pictures, along with a good description and you should be good.