Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Price "Guide"

I recently upgraded a Washington quarter in my Registry Set. The referenced guide indicates the coin I upgraded was valued at $4,000. I just acquired an example of that coin for less than $1,300. Specifics are not germane to the conversation. The coin I acquired is a beauty and I agree with the grade. What is the issue in the disparate valuations? Is the guide that outdated? I certainly did not beat down the seller.... it was originally offered at $1,399. Still a far cry from the list value....

What guide do you use to obtain an estimate of value when either buying or selling?

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's supposed to be based on real transactions, no? If a coin sells on eBay via bid only is that considered to be retail for that particular coin? What about other coins just like it? How is anyone supposed to know what retail really is in this hobby/business?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the closed auctions page here on PCGS as a starting point. From there I look at market direction, quality of the coin and if I really want the coin to arrive at a price I'm ok paying. If the seller will sell at my price great, if not there are other fish in the sea.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    It's supposed to be based on real transactions, no? If a coin sells on eBay via bid only is that considered to be retail for that particular coin? What about other coins just like it? How is anyone supposed to know what retail really is in this hobby/business?

I think the best way to know is by using many different sources. It comes down to education: knowing your subject. There are lots of moving parts... Ebay would seem like a solid source, but all coins aren't the same, all auctions don't get the same attention, and the final price is not always a reflection of the price paid. Ebay often manipulates the "sale price." If you search ebay for completed auctions, Buy-it-Now auctions show the offer price, not the agreed upon price. Also, if the buyer is unhappy with the purchase, a lower price is sometimes negotiated after the sale. That is not reflected either. Ebay has a financial interest in keeping the sales price higher.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices guides are just that...guides. I would base my buy/sell offer on prior auction results and eye appeal.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could add in a question to this post...Does the sell price at the non ebay auction house show the "juice"?

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I often use the PCGS price list "as a basic guide". When selling I expect to see 20 to 30% discount depending on the coin. When buying I see the price guide as an absolute top value for the best coins in the grade.

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    If I could add in a question to this post...Does the sell price at the non ebay auction house show the "juice"?

CC

Yes, definitely includes the juice.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best price guide is your local mom and pop B&M.

"You want how much for this!?"

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2018 11:33AM

I like the Price Guides based on auction results but the key word is GUIDE! Perhaps the seller did not know about the guide and offered the coin too cheaply.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

EBay is generally what I use. I also keep a copy of the Redbooks on hand to help me.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've viewed PCGS price guides as what I'd expect to pay full retail at a B and M shop. This depends on the coin. There have been a few copper pieces I've bought from EACers with superior eye appeal that went for guide prices... most have been 20 - 25% off...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

PCGS price guide is at least still in the ball park. If I could get the NGC guide prices I would sell everything I have without even thinking about it.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin. I think in general PCGS adds a premium to the auction price realized data to provide guidance in line with an over the counter retail transaction. But I've also paid well over price guide for coins that are very scarce, so in my opinion the PCGS price is low in that case.

Buying a coin at 1/3 of PCGS sounds like an anomaly though. Maybe the seller was not very educated, or maybe it's some minor variety with a very thin market. Or there could be something too good to be true going on.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2018 9:14PM

My formula is...

Check the all time sets page for total sets.
    Add the population numbers from right to left until it equals that number.
    Those columns can be unpredictable.

For my set, the number is about 100
    Everything below the top 100 is pretty consistent on the price guide.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've begun to rely almost exclusively on E-Bay sales prices. While it's true that E-Bay can use their ability to boost the price in various ways it's still more accurate than the price guide. Then again, a super high grade coin with a CAC sticker that's registry quality might sell a bit higher than your average E-Bay coin in the same grade.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2018 9:07AM

@CCGGG said:
    I often use the PCGS price list "as a basic guide". When selling I expect to see 20 to 30% discount depending on the coin. When buying I see the price guide as an absolute top value for the best coins in the grade.

Except the kicker is that most have no idea which particular sale/s that the PCGS price guide is based upon.

AND dealer to customer sales probably aren't included in the PG.

If a dealer has 2 1884-O Morgans in PCGS ms66 and sells one to a customer for $225 and the other one to another customer for $310 what is the retail price?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is important to know the general value of a coin one is considering for purchase. This is very important for people who sell coins. For the collector, it is important also, but only to the extent that they do not pay a ridiculous premium....If one does not sell coins, one is using disposable income for the pleasure of collecting and owning desirable items. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all coins of the same grade are equal. Eye appeal, luster, strike, etc. can separate two technically graded MS66's by hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I think of the guide price as a guide for the average, generic graded coin.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

Real transactions have nothing to do with it as far as I can tell. I own classic pop 1-3 coins that the guide has went significantly down on, despite not another coin being sold/reported/discovered.

Maybe we should ask David or Don? -)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I certainly look at the guide but sure don't rely on it for my purchases. Most times it's quite high and once in a while I find that I can't buy anything at the prices listed....I do check Heritage and Ebay close sales for decision making.

bob :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PCGS guide based on PCGS SLABBED coin prices?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@Nic said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Real transactions have nothing to do with it as far as I can tell. I own classic pop 1-3 coins that the guide has went significantly down on, despite not another coin being sold/reported/discovered.

David has already said here in the past that it was based on actual transactions for PCGS graded coins. I suppose that could change, but I expect it may not be a priority with the new leadership. Could be the bulk of them were derived from CCE sales.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it is some market algorithm for lets say overall bust, or barber, or seated coin sales?

If a pop 1 or 2, none better, coin does not sell again, why would prices decline? Or go up? Not actual sales it seems.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@AUandAG said:
    I certainly look at the guide but sure don't rely on it for my purchases. Most times it's quite high and once in a while I find that I can't buy anything at the prices listed....I do check Heritage and Ebay close sales for decision making.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PCGS guide based on PCGS SLABBED coin prices?

Pete

The OP's coin is a graded example in his Registry Set. Of course we are talking slabbed coins not raw. Real world price checking is recent slabbed sales on HA and ebay.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Nic said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

When HRH used to give his daily market report or the report that we used to get daily via email where do you suppose that those prices came from?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@disappointingcoins said:
    I was told just today by Mr.Ryan Barnhardt with IGC "There are no current plans to create an ICG price guide at this current point in time. We believe it is a conflict of interest to set prices of our own graded coins. We let the market determine those figures..."

"Price guide values are rarely what coins actually sell for. My best advice is to find auction records of your coins rather than using PCGS or NGC price guides. Market prices of coins change along with customer interest.,,, Again we let the free market determine these swings in value rather than publishing a price guide based on our opinion alone."

There is so much wisdom in ICG's comments.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 6:50AM

I find the PCGS price guide accurate and retail many coins at that or higher. This a very fair price for buyers to pay.

Auction prices represent liquidation and not something necessarily I would consider MV. I also refer to the CDN CPG in pricing material.

You don’t give the date and grade of your coin nor indicate if u acquired raw or what - how is one supposed analyze your comment if u don’t give critical data? What is CDN bid on this coin? You say you paid $1300 for it - what is CDN bid for it? I take it’s in a PCGS Holder? I get good buys on many coins but refer to TPG PG, CW, or CDN bid plus my markup pct in pricing to sell.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've viewed PCGS price guides as what I'd expect to pay full retail at a B and M shop

That's pretty much the way I see it too. My local B&M sells some slabs but there main business is selling raw collector coins. They use the gray sheet for their buy prices.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drei3ree said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

I think the best way to know is by using many different sources. It comes down to education: knowing your subject. There are lots of moving parts... Ebay would seem like a solid source, but all coins aren't the same, all auctions don't get the same attention, and the final price is not always a reflection of the price paid. Ebay often manipulates the "sale price." If you search ebay for completed auctions, Buy-it-Now auctions show the offer price, not the agreed upon price. Also, if the buyer is unhappy with the purchase, a lower price is sometimes negotiated after the sale. That is not reflected either. Ebay has a financial interest in keeping the sales price higher.

nailed it

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer to "the pcgs guide" question only. I don' t think it is accurate at this time as a general reference for the coin market as we are experiencing it. Gold seems to get correction, but most coins are left to be uber scubber doober RETAIL as I once told a dealer who referred the guide, as his price point. I don't think it's a guide for any measure of accuracy in the market now. You cannot buy Barber Halves at most prices listed "too low" other coins "too high" I've looked at it as a place to see where the dealer might have gotten his price from. Now, don't tell me a "nice coin" AS FAR AS COLLECTOR COINS are concerned will bring a good price as I have tested this over and over. Most offers I receive on very nice "collector coins" better dates included are based on HA minus 20% in this market and usually the lowest recent sale price.

So, back in the box they go until another market day comes along.

The above is my experience your experience may differ. The market is wacky in nature and can change at any time without warning.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Gold seems to get correction...

Maybe that's why I have a higher opinion on PCGS prices than others.
    To me they are "high-ask" or "premium quality" for saints and not too far off.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two-bits is that if it's not worth $200 when labeled then it's not worth getting in on the label and paying the fees to do so. Grading is $25 and Variety is $18 and insurance and mailing...just blows the expense to the moon. So, it's a business decision to not even bother with coins worth less than $10 by both PCGS and me too.

PS: just so you know I'm not a dealer and don't collect Lincolns, per se.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file