Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

A couple of wishes for the Registries

First off, I truly enjoy the Registry as it is and PCGS has made the ease of navigating the site second to none. With that stated, I do have a couple of small requests yet would also like your opinions on these.
What would you think of adding a LowBall short set of Kennedy half dollars? I'm thinking from 1964 to 1970. Right now there isn't anything in the LowBall Registry recognizing Kennedy halves and this short set might be a neat start.
Also, why is it high grade uncirculated coins are rewarded in the LowBall Registries? For example, in the Ike set difficult coins, such as the 1974 and 1978 are made up of generally uncirculated pieces. I wish coins past a certain condition, such as AU would not be allowed (kind of like how GENUINE is not allowed in LowBall sets). Just some thoughts.

peacockcoins

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both wishes on your part seem completely reasonable to me and I would suspect they would need fairly limited coding to get seen to completion. I hope that you can get PCGS to see these sets the way that you see them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thoughts @braddick :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not? Seems fine to me given the number of other sets .

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know someone on the inside and will pass along the Kennedy suggestion.

I do, however, disagree with the concept of disallowing higher grade coins in low ball sets. People often like to move quickly towards set completion then upgrade (downgrade?) from there. We would never disallow a fr2 1916-d merc dime from a traditional merc dime registry set. So I wouldn’t disallow an ms63 Ike in a low ball set.

Thanks for the feedback!

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I undstand what you are posting, yet you already don't allow GENUINE only coins within the lowball set (rightfully so). A precident has already been set.
    Simply extending this to uncirculated coinage makes sense as AU coins being allowed in would still allow the lowball collector gain by 'downgrading' to lower grade coins as they became availabe.
    It's a bit sad to see some of the top sets remain at the top with so many MS63 and higher coins contained within. This added restriction would simply even out the playing field and make a lowball set truly a Low Ball Set.

peacockcoins

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS added a LowBall Kennedy set! I kind of wish it was a short set, yet so be it. Nice to have this additional Registry to play around with. Thanks, PCGS for making this happen!

peacockcoins

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 12:31PM

@braddick - I agree with your suggestion that within Low ball .. the greater value should be to the lowest grades (reverse value concept) for top sets ... so a set of all fr2's would grade & rank higher than a similar set of all MS63's.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• 78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 12:00AM

@BrettPCGS

Look at the top two sets, this is the problem with allowing MS coins in a lowball set.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/composite/7035

@BrettPCGS said:
    disagree with the concept of disallowing higher grade coins in low ball sets. People often like to move quickly towards set completion then upgrade (downgrade?) from there. We would never disallow a fr2 1916-d merc dime from a traditional merc dime registry set. So I wouldn’t disallow an ms63 Ike in a low ball set.

Completely different! Lowball coins in a MS set isn't going to take over the top spot.

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand how a set in the Lowball category can be in first place with over 90% of the coins in MS

• Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

I completely agree with 78saen and pocketpiececommems...

It is not a fair comparison to mention allowing a fr2 1916D in a traditional merc set. First off, anything above fr2/ag/g may not be an option for many collections, but they still have a complete set of mercury dimes. Their ranking in the registry will reflect the quality of their coins and they will be ranked accordingly. Nothing wrong with this.

However, the nature of a lowball set is that the coins are, at the very least, circulated. Anything above AU should not be allowed.

Why would someone even want a first place ranking if their set is made up of mint state coins? That is a false accomplishment and it diminishes the achievements of those who spend years and sometimes even decades to find true lowballs.

PCGS should realize this and adjust accordingly... Or get rid of lowball sets altogether... have them or don’t have them, but don’t have them and then allow the top spot
    to be occupied by a set containing NON LOWBALL COINS...

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

• 78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 12:06AM

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.

I think that some are taking advantage of the Lowball section just because they have a complete set in the regular section. Will PCGS give first place to the same set in both the MS and Lowball section? I would love to see just the silver short set.

Everyman sets do not allow MS coins so why couldn't the powers that be use the same rule for Lowball sets??

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Everyman sets do not allow MS coins so why couldn't the powers that be use the same rule for Lowball sets??

Wouldn't that hurt them....not help them in the ranking?