Home Metal Detecting

Does anyone here detect for nuggets in the Phoenix area?

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Headed down there for a vacation on December and needed to fill some time. Wife willing. So Id like to plan a morning to noon or a bit later if possible of detecting. I've never detected for nuggets and bore of the city after a few days. I work in a coin shop and have many detectors to choose from, most of which I've used for a few hours each just to become familiar enough to make a customer feel good about it.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I did some nugget shooting in areas north of Phoenix... desert area... I found one, about six grams.... watch out for claims (usually marked)... People get sensitive about claim jumping..... Cheers, RickO

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another reason I'd like to be around someone familiar with the area. That or if someone needs a helping hand on a claim for a day.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only surface eye ball rock hounding when last in AZ. I have heard of good luck in ancient stream beds holding nuggets. Post your finds! GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Old stream beds are good hunting grounds for nuggets.... and a sharp eye will pick out potential glory holes....Cheers, RickO

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know no one wants to share where they might know of a good spot publicly, PM me. Zero leads at the moment.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start with a bit of research: http://repository.azgs.az.gov/uri_gin/azgs/dlio/1603

Don't try to find gold where none has been found before. Only spend time in areas that have produced nuggets in the past. Remember it's been 150 years of looking so the odds of finding anything new are infinitesimally small.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

It is good to search areas (areas where gold has been found before) after rainy periods... and dry stream beds after flooding.... Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this picture before. The Spanish and Mexicans came thru in the 1600's thru 1800's and turned the earth upside down in the desert with limited water searching for the yellow metal.
    Good luck and show us your finds!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

I lived in the Phoenix area for eight years... Had 40 acres north of Prescott... Did some panning and MD'ing in the desert around Phoenix... did find one nice nugget. Lots of claims out there, be careful...Cheers, RickO