Home U.S. Coin Forum

What U.S. coin currently minted is smaller in diameter to the dime but weighs more than the dime.

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What U.S. coin currently minted is smaller in diameter to the dime but weighs more than the dime or cent ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/10 gold and platinum. :smile:

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct - 1/10 Gold Eagle :smile:

The American Eagle tenth-ounce gold bullion is the smallest U.S. coin currently minted in diameter, Gilkes writes, smaller even than the dime. The coin's diameter is 16.5 millimeters, which is slightly smaller than the dime's. The gold coin weighs 3.393 grams (0.11 ounce), which is heavier than both the cent and dime.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew it was tooooo easy :smile:

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Platinum is even more dense.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    The Platinum is even more dense.

Yes, but it is unalloyed. The 1/10 gold eagle contains 1/10 of an ounce of gold PLUS the alloy!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those 1/10 ounce gold coins are just so tiny.....Yes, I still like them, but I prefer the big one's....just like the heft of them in the hand, and I do not need a magnifying glass to appreciate them.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay so how much wood did a woodchuck....? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love the mint to start making the silver trime for collectors again.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Those 1/10 ounce gold coins are just so tiny.....Yes, I still like them, but I prefer the big one's....just like the heft of them in the hand, and I do not need a magnifying glass to appreciate them.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Yes, just another case where bigger is better. :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCGGG..... Size matters.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file