Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone here win the Newman Pine Tree shilling ties?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2018 5:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A lot of 42 of these was sold today. If there's any interest in breaking up the set, I would be interested in getting one to wear to coin events!

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    Interesting.

To me ties are one of the dumbest inventions in male clothing. Cinch a piece of cloth around your neck for no other reason than to look "professional" and deliberately cut off the circulation to your head.

Get a clip-on.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had thought to bid on it. I would have given one to any forum member who promised to wear it all day on the first day of the 2019 WFM. It would have been hilarious.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, now that's a statement. How much did they go for?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, again: how much did they sell for?

Frank

BHNC #203

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Wow, now that's a statement. How much did they go for?

$576 for the 42 ties.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2018 8:40AM

@MrEureka said:
    I wish I had thought to bid on it. I would have given one to any forum member who promised to wear it all day on the first day of the 2019 WFM. It would have been hilarious.

I have a feeling we'll see a few being sported at FUN. They'd look great with a Hawaiian shirt.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the lot immediately before it, a 24"x10" copper and silver reticulated sheet sculpture of a $5 Federal Reserve Note. It's one-of-a-kind, made in 1985 from "60,000 hand-formed links... into a mesh rendering of a $5 bill". Folk art at it's finest. American Pickers should have outbid me just for the Lincoln portrait! :p

I pondered ......, but couldn't imagine 42 people with Hawaiian shirts that would wear one. I was particularly drawn to the last line of the catalogue description "The numismatic-themed pattern is also suitable for residential curtains." >:)B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:
    I bought the lot immediately before it, a 24"x10" copper and silver reticulated sheet sculpture of a $5 Federal Reserve Note. It's one-of-a-kind, made in 1985 from "60,000 hand-formed links... into a mesh rendering of a $5 bill". Folk art at it's finest. American Pickers should have outbid me just for the Lincoln portrait! :p

I looked at that too and I’m glad you got it! I couldn’t figure out what I would do with it!

@ColonelJessup said:

That's actually pretty cool, and pretty cheap considering what it takes to make that kind of stuff. Probably the fact that the serial number prefix and the Federal Reserve seal didn't match drove off the more discriminating bidders.

I fully expect to see Julian Leidman wearing one of those ties at FUN, by the way.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Built in napkin.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say open them all up, sew them together and make quilt out of it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy, pure genius - that would be quite the spectacle!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

@Namvet69 said:
    I say open them all up, sew them together and make quilt out of it. Peace Roy

Why a quilt? You could make several loincloths out of them.

(Disclaimer: The above is presented as a possibility, not a desire to see ANYBODY in a Pine Tree Shilling loincloth.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file