Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin show report from a newbie

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2018 5:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Went to a coin show today. My first real coin show. Maybe ~100 dealers. Made several laps around and didnt see much on my shopping list. I found just one example of a coin I was specifically looking for, but price was on another planet. I went home empty handed.

I didnt care for the visual search through so many mixed cases. Will think twice before attending more coin shows. :|

_*edited for clarity and to remove reference to this specific show, as I dont want to imply this is a bad show. I just didnt find what i was looking for. More in thread. _

Comments

• baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Give it another shot, try another show, one show really doesn't give you a real idea of what a good show can be like.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors buy sell and trade at coin club meetings. Maybe there is a club nearby? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that your first show experience was not as positive as you would have liked. What was on your want list?

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 12:52PM

What was the coin and price from another world?

PS, what is the point of the report? Where was the show? How big was it? I have more questions but am tired of typing.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Good report... I'm sure you're right., it's probably best not to ever attend another coin show in your lifetime.
    One and done.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't give up :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some shows are better than others.....and some material is easier to find at shows than others!

• The truly "high end" and "rare" coins don't generally make appearances at local shows....
    • And the very common, low priced, are often left at home by the dealer. Too much trouble, not enough profit.

Sometimes it's better to go with no expectations, and a flexible "want list". You never know what might catch your fancy.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the coinfacts price and auction history I would expect to pay about 900 for the coin I was looking at. Asking price was 1500 with a cac sticker.

Meltdown I recognize the sarcasm but I seriously felt like it was a waste of time.

In all seriousness, dealers should provide an inventory list on the show website. Scanning table after table of jumbled displays was frustrating.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    Given the coinfacts price and auction history I would expect to pay about 900 for the coin I was looking at. Asking price was 1500 with a cac sticker.

Meltdown I recognize the sarcasm but I seriously felt like it was a waste of time.

In all seriousness, dealers should provide an inventory list on the show website. Scanning table after table of jumbled displays was frustrating.

Your ("in all seriousness..") suggestion that "dealers should provide an inventory list" tells me it's no surprise that a coin show did not live up to your expectations.
    That would be like 180 degrees off of what I've experienced and enjoyed at shows the last dozen years.

My only suggestion would be to hook up with another collector and give shows one more shot.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said: dealers should provide an inventory list on the show website. Scanning table after table of jumbled displays was frustrating.

You will be better served by finding a dealer or two that specialize in what you are looking for and building a relationship with them...rather than attending a traditional coin show. Good luck! :)

I dont mean to insult anyone who enjoys coin shows, the format just didnt work for me.

It was not a great shopping experience, and thats all I was looking for.

Hallco I agree, thanks for the input. Ive been working with one dealer who has located a couple pieces for me and has been great.

I will stick with that dealer and my ebay alerts I guess.

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Depending on the size of the show, your price point of near $1000 might be high for the show. Sometimes you just need to ask dealers as well. As has been asked what was on your shopping list.

Local 40 tables shows probably wouldn't be your cup of tea. Probably need at least 100 plus dealers.

I have never felt a coin show was a waste of time. If I left without spending any money, oh well nothing caught my eye, always next time.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    I dont mean to insult anyone who enjoys coin shows, the format just didnt work for me.

It was not a great shopping experience, and thats all I was looking for.

I've gone to shows for decades and .....now... pretty much agree on "small" shows.
    Same stuff...same dealers....same letdown.

I now buy ...almost... everything from websites as the selection is more appropriate for what I look for.

As an aside (and this is just one coin club) I would be far more cautious looking at ...club... stuff.
    In OUR club.... the members were vultures. But you could easily find mistakes to buy. ;)

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Succinct in its brevity, but the dearth of details leaves me unsatisfied.

"Coin show" in my mind could include anything from a dozen dealers set up at the local Moose lodge to 3 days in Long Beach... I recommend picking a larger venue for your second coin show!

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    Went to a coin show in Manchester NH today. My first real coin show. Big let down. Made several laps around and didnt see much on my shopping list. I found just one example of a coin I was specifically looking for, but price was on another planet. I went home empty handed.

I probably wont be going to any more coin shows. :|

Lookin’ for an 1804 dollar :o

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 4:22PM

Don't be frustrated or disappointed. It happens to all of us. Check out another show. Consistency is the key. Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

This is a great regional show.
    From their very well done and highly informative web page:
    Dealer List

As of November 7, 2018 FINAL

(Those who have asked to be listed)

A. T. Coins 11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 405-406
    Tewksbury, MA

Absolute Banknotes 11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb dollar-bill-th 408
    New York, NY

American Gold & Silver, LLC 306-307
    Seabrook, NH

Anawan Coin Co. 613
    Rehoboth, MA

B & H Coins 212
    Jamison, PA

Babe 106
    Minot, ME

Bim Finemore 11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 601
    Bridgewater, ME

BJM Numismatics (Saturday Only) 209
    Lowell, MA

Black Eagle Coin & Currency 714
    Amenia, NY

Blair Collectibles 605
    Pine Hill, NY

Bob Caouette Coins (SUPPLIES) Back Wall
    Brunswick, ME

Bob Moffatt Coins, Tokens & Medals 609
    Auburn, MA

Boston Towne Coin (Ancients) 806
    Boston, MA

Brad’s Coins 509
    Wallingford, CT

Brunelle Stamps and Coins11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 707-710
    Derry, NH

Burton Coin (Saturday Only) 516
    Boston, MA

Butternut 315
    Brentwood, TN

Canterbury Stamps (814-816)
    Nashua NH

Carl Bombara Rare Currency 312 dollar-bill-th
    New York, NY

Centennial Auctions (Friday Only) Back
    North Conway, NH

Central New England Collectible Authority 602-603
    Whitinsville, MA

Charles Hertan Numismatics 214
    Florence, MA

In Memory of Charles O. Browne 204a
    (1950-2018)

Classic Numismatic Investments 702
    New Britain, CT

Cornerstone Coins 207
    W. Brookfield, MA

Dalton Gold and Silver Exchange 109
    Dalton, GA

Dave Wnuck Numismatics, LLC 104
    Wallingford, CT

David and Grace Barbone Rare Coins 122-123
    Pawcatuck, CT

David Oppelt 11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 706
    Newington, CT

David Kahn Rare Coins, Inc (Friday AM only) 704
    Olney, MD

Derry Coin (Friday Only) 207
    Derry, NH

Don Severance 412 dollar-bill-th
    Pembroke, MA

Duckys Coins 613-614
    Walpole, MA

EBW Coin 120
    Wilmington, MA

Eyeappealing.com 11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 301
    Hartford CT

FNPI 302
    Stamford, CT

Frank Van Valen Numismatics 507
    Wolfeboro Falls, NH

G. R. Tiso Numismatics 501
    Salisbury, MD

Gerry Fortin Rare Coins 701
    Raymond, ME

Gil Fitton Postal History & Ephemera 810-811
    Raymond, NH

Great East Collectibles 713
    Eliot, ME

Higleyvile Coin 101-103
    Simsbury, CT

Howard Barron 105
    Plymouth, MA

Hudson Valley Coin 413-414
    Newburgh, NY

Inde Et Lib 503
    Danbury, CT

J & J Coins 402-403
    Sioux City, IA

J & S Collectibles 205-206
    Hartford, CT

J.G. Numismatics 124
    Northwood, NH

J. J. Teaparty, Inc (Friday Only) 516
    N. Easton, MA

JFoot13 Coin and More 11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb back wall
    Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Carr, Inc (Friday Only) 209
    Pelham, NH

Jon Roche 11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 715
    Turners Falls, MA

Kancamagus Collectables (Friday Only) 512
    N. Woodstock, NH

KAR Numismatics, LLC 410
    Hebron, NH

Kevin Lafond NH Scrip Club Area
    Portsmouth, NH

Killino’s Collectibles 608
    Utica, NY

LBRC (Saturday Only) 513
    Concord, MA

Lemberg Coin11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 716
    Westerly, RI

Long Island Numismaticsdollar-bill-th 303
    Bedford, NY

Maine Gold & Silver 305
    So. Portland, ME

Maritime International 106
    Bangor, ME

Master Coin11949853041153842660mr_lakshman_poonyth_.svg.thumb 703
    Southampton, MA

MCN Coins 308
    Warren, ME

Mike’s Rare Coins and ERRORS 404
    New Bedford, MA

Mint Products Auctions Front
    Bedford, NH

Moore’s Civil War Reference 711
    www.moorecivilwar.com

Nanson Numismatics 210
    Colora, MD

Nashua Coin & Jewelry 401 & 416
    Nashua, NH

Norman Levesque Stamps (812-813)
    Milford, NH

Northeast Numismatics 121
    Concord, MA

Of Coins & Crystals (Friday Only) 807
    Enfield, CT

Pilgrim Coins & Currency, LLC 110-112
    Weymouth, MA

RARCOA, Inc (Friday Only) 513
    Willowbrook, IL

Richards Coin Exchange 808-809
    Amherst, MA

Robert Broadhurst (Friday only) 705
    Bristol, NH

Running Bear Coins 606-607
    Kanoa, NY

S.C.A.C. (Saturday Only) TBD
    N. Kingston, RI

Sandy’s (Tokens, Medals) 616
    Richmond, ME

Scarsdale Coin 409
    Mamaroneck, NY

Shelby Coin Co. 213
    Greenfield, MA

Small Cents II Auction 415
    Nashua, NH

Stateline Coin Exchange 407
    Roanoke, IN

Steve’s Rare Coins 201-203
    Rockville, CT

The Coin Shop 510
    Fitzwilliam, NH

The Monumental Group 515
    Sayville, NY

Tom Reynolds 504-506
    Omaha, NE

Trivial Treasures 304
    Providence, RI

Grading Services

ANACS
    Englewood, CO

Clubs and Non-Profit Organizations

American Numismatic Association (ANA)

Barber Coin Collectors’ Society (BCCS)

Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC)

Nashua Coin Club Nashua, NH

The New England Numismatic Association (NENA)
    •John Kittredge Young Numismatist Program sponsored by NENA and the Kittredge Foundation.
    •Competitive Exhibits
    •Exhibiting Workshop
    •ANA information booth
    •Club Table
    •What is it Table – Do you have coins, tokens, medals or paper money that you are wondering what it is or generally what it’s worth? The New England Numismatic Association offers a “What’s it?” Table at it’s Club Table location. Come to the NENA Club table and let our members try to help you discover more information about your items.

Worcester County Numismatic Society – Worcester MA

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll Admit I'm surprised you didn't like the show. It's a mid size show that happens twice a year and I've had very good luck in the past. I was supposed to be attending tomorrow but I'm so swamped with work I don't think I'll be able to make it.

No disrespect to this specific coin show. There were a good number of dealers, things were running orderly, the space was nice with good lighting.

I just didnt find what i was looking for. But this was my first real coin show. So maybe this is a great one, i have nothing to compare it to. This format is just not for me.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ask each table if they had what you wanted? I walked around a show once asking if dealers had New Jersey Coppers which are not high on anyone's list for putting out in a case. One of the last dealers I asked went in his stuff and brought out about 10 to choose from from which I bought one. I have done the same for bust quarters and you would be surprised what some dealers have squirreled away. Plus it is fun striking up a conversation with the more friendly dealers.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, size matters. Bigger shows attract bigger dealers, who carry the sort of inventory that appeals to many collectors. However, I like the idea of finding a few dealers who can look out for the type of material you're interested in. I would love a better excuse to get out to local shows: exhibits, interesting conversations, contact with other collectors, fun. And hot dogs!

I asked 3, no dice. I didnt want to bother others who already had customers. Those i asked were the ones that engaged me as i was looking through their cases.

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe try the Fall (late October / November) or Spring (March) Whitman Baltimore show someday. It's a much larger show and a good one.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

You had me at A.T. Coins.

Truth in advertising?

@au58 said:
    This is a great regional show.
    From their very well done and highly informative web page:
    Dealer List

Again, what is the point of your post? That you will never go to a coin show again? More power to you but why start a thread about it? Looks like a great show!

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    I asked 3, no dice. I didnt want to bother others who already had customers. Those i asked were the ones that engaged me as i was looking through their cases.

Perhaps some of the forum members could PM you and help you contact some dealers who would be willing to help you locate the material that you're looking for, or help you themselves. Me, I'm a large auction and internet junkie.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone is different., I enjoy shows for the opportunity to look at the coins in person, learn and talk with the people there. I wish i could attend more shows however being in Hawaii it is not practical

edited November 9, 2018 5:30PM

I was hoping to start a conversation on the relevance of coin shows in general in 2018.

My point was that it was very hard for me to find what I was looking for, and it didnt feel like a good use of my time. Obviously its a very different experience from online shopping where all info is sorted and filtered in a couple clicks, but that is how people shop now. So the show was frustrating for me in trying to find specific items in row after row of cases with every miscellaneous thing in them.

So, very sorry if it came off as whiny or accusing this as being a bad show. This specific show is probably wonderful, i think i just dont care for the coin show format in general.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm like some others that posted above. I like to go to coin shows, just to look at coins. If I don't find anything that I like for the price no big deal. I managed to pick up one item from this show last November. I will see for myself what it is like as I plan on attending the show on Saturday.

Good luck with your search. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Go to another show.

Lesson # (sometimes this is #1....sometimes #12).........ASK the people on the other side of the table...."did you bring _ _ _ _ _ _ with you this trip?"

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3

@Pedzola said:
    I was hoping to start a conversation on the relevance of coin shows in general in 2018.

My point was that it was very hard for me to find what I was looking for, and it didnt feel like a good use of my time. Obviously its a very different experience from online shopping where all info is sorted and filtered in a couple clicks, but that is how people shop now. So the show was frustrating for me in trying to find specific items in row after row of cases with every miscellaneous thing in them.

So, very sorry if it came off as whiny or accusing this as being a bad show. This specific show is probably wonderful, i think i just dont care for the coin show format in general.

And there it is! Got it! Cheers!

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:

To answer this question, I think they are very relevant in 2018. To me hard to be going and looking around at piles of coins which I might or might not want, but it still a lot fun. I have been going with my 7 year old son to the monthly show. He looks forward to going because he gets to touch and look thru coins. To him that beats looking at pictures online. If shows stopped existing, the hobby would stop existing in short order after that I believe.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never really find much at shows either. Nice to go and look occasionally but always better deals online and also lucky to have a LCS that likes to move coins. Most dealers think because it's a show it's time to mark everything up 50%.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola I understand that you feel the show format didn't meet your expectations. It is totally different from looking at pictures of coins online for sure. What was it that made you decide to go to a show, was it because you were not finding what you were looking for online? Since no one else has asked the question, I am curious to know what it is that you are trying to find? I will say that if your first show was going to a medium to large size show that it can be overwhelming to look in all of those display cases for the first time. It can also be easy to miss an item as well when display cases are loaded with coins. It would be to your benefit to ask dealers at the show if they had the item or types of items that you are looking for, not just asking the ones that engage you first. I and many others here can offer you all kinds of valuable information for going to a coin show. There are many experienced collectors and dealers alike here on this forum an most if not all here are willing to share information.

Many people here on this forum very much enjoy going to shows because they see it as so much more than looking for a coin that they need and I think that is why you have been getting a little flak about not liking it. Many members here consider it a social event where you can meet with friends and talk with other like minded individuals face to face. If you did not like the show format compared to online, that is fine and to each their own. I do however think you made several rookie mistakes and that contributed to you not enjoying it.

First things first, a show is more of a social event where there are face to face interactions with people. Second, creating relationships with dealers at the show are a great benefit. Sometimes they can not bring everything and may have left it behind for that particular show. Developing relationships with other collectors and dealers is a benefit to you as a collector. I have also known some dealers to track items down that people are looking for, especially when they know you are a good customer. Third, if you have a coin buddy, see if they want to go with you. Fourth, looking at coins in person is always better than looking at them online., just because you can get a better feel for what you are looking at versus a photo. Photos can hide imperfections on coins depending on angle of picture, lighting, etc.

Hopefully at least some of this information is useful. Don't give up going to shows after just the first one. The success of a show is not always what you came home with.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Here is a link to the Manchester show report from Gerry Fortin that he runs in the daily blog portion of his website:

http://seateddimevarieties.com/DailyBlog.htm

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to many shows... large and small... many times I did not purchase anything...other times I found several coins I purchased. Now, where I live, there are no shows and no coin shops... Sure do miss those shows - even the one's where I purchased nothing. They were fun social experiences and I often found items by asking the dealers when I did not see what I was looking for on their table. Cheers, RickO

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 this quote from you is so spot on.

"The success of a show is not always what you came home with."

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anymore, the success of a show is often what I ....didn't ....come home with. :p

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

That looks like a very nice show and I wish I could have been there but I live way too far away. From that list of dealers that @au58 posted, I see some high profile dealers that I recognize and I know I would have come home with something nice. In fact, I am sure that I would have run out of money before I ran out of nice coins to buy.

But that's just me. I really enjoy a good coin show.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin shows are fun for me. I can usually find something.
    Today though, I waited 3 hours to look at one dealer's books of coal scrip, but there were two people parked there the whole time going through every coin with their reference book. I couldn't wait any longer and had to give up.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola
    Been to hundreds of shows - most east of the Mississippi - and several international. I've even set up as a dealer from time to time to thin my herd.

You cannot expect to find exactly what is on your short list in the holder you want, at the grade you want, CAC/no CAC, and at the price you want at every single show. This is unrealistic even if you ask every single dealer instead of just a few. Dealers tend to display what sells best - not necessarily what is on your want list, especially if it is a bit esoteric.

Building a set requires hard work, and especially patience - finding pieces will be a combination of show purchases, auctions, on line, and other venues. Each venue has its advantages and disadvantages. I love shows because I can see the coin in hand and don't have to rely on the sellers pictures and descriptions. You also get the opportunity to interact with the dealer - most are helpful - some are not. But this gives the opportunity to start a relationship with someone who might be able to help find what you are looking for if you are willing to share your "want list". If not, you are on your own and stuck with all the digital hype.

I still wonder what the "target" piece or series was...…. even revealing the series/grade/ would be helpful. Many series do not trade for what is in the price guides. I am collecting one series where the price guides are useless.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 6:03PM

As I read through this thread, it baffles me that the OP is asked what coins he was looking for and never answers the question. One of the advantages in going to a show is to find which dealers might have the types of coins you want, even if that particular coin or series isn't laid out on display.

The complaint about looking through jumbled cases also seems misplaced. There is a balance between waiting and waiting at a dealer's table before being noticed so that you can inquire about a coin vs. finding a display that by a million to one happenstance contains the coins you want in the condition you want, at the price you want to pay. You have to be involved in the search.

If it wasn't your cup of tea, that's okay, but just understand that there was probably more good stuff at the show than what met the eye, and in many cases (no pun intended) you have to be more personally involved in the search - more so than you are in an ebay search. The advantage in a coin show of course - is in seeing a coin in-hand and in having a conversation about the coin that provides you more background for making a good selection even if you don't buy that particular coin.

True enough, not every show ends up being productive but I think you should try again. That show looks like a decent show, and the list of dealers indicates that it wasn't a 2nd-rate show. Try again.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

I went to this show today and found it to have a large variety of coins raw and graded, foreign and domestic. There were coins that were in the $10,000 plus range to common graded coins like Morgans for $35. That to me is a well rounded show. The only down side was that there was not much bullion there and what was there did not seem to move much, but graded and raw coins seemed to be selling. Yes, there were many tables that had a bunch of different stuff in one case, but if it was not what I was looking for I moved on. I think as a society we've gotten so used to Amazon and eBay where we can search so much stuff in seconds and get instant gratification that we have become lazy and expect things now. Even though I purchased nothing I found all the dealers that I asked to look at coin(s) where flexible with their pricing and were willing to work with you to close the deal. To me the pleasure of seeing the coins in hand is well worth the time required to find the right coin at the right price.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting perspective from the OP's first show experience. Kinda sad too. Going to a show and perusing dealer offerings is a joy to me. Regardless of if I find anything to purchase or not. The menagerie of items filling dealer cases provides a thrilling treasure hunt for my eyes. Walking a show floor looking for something special is intoxicating! I enjoy chatting up dealers and getting to know familiar faces that, over time, I now recognize as show regulars. I've been on the other side of the table now too which is a completely different albeit equally enjoyable experience! I'm usually having so much fun that it feels like I'm chasing the clock, The days at a show seem to fly by so fast I feel like I've somehow lost time ...like something out of a science fiction movie!

I've had friends at shows that are looking for something so specific, so drilled down and exact that the probability they will find what they need at a medium sized regional show is something akin to catching a fired bullet out of the air with their bare hands. They don't seem to enjoy attending shows either. My only suggestion that I can ever make is to broaden their horizons. Start a new set, upgrade some existing items in their collection, learn about a category of the hobby that is brand new to them. The idea is, when you attend your next show be on the lookout for more stuff! If you are hunting for twenty different things instead of one really tough (or near impossible) thing, you might actually have a great time!

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭

If you didn’t find what you’re looking for, you’re probably on the right track as far as collecting strategy. You don’t want to settle.

On the other hand, if you’re a Newbie and didn’t find any educational opportunities at your first show, you might re-think your goals for attending a coin show. There are contacts to be made, books to be bought, graded coins to look at to sharpen your eye, experts from whom to learn, and on and on.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Hello all.

I appreciate the back and forth of this thread, it certainly provides feedback for promoting shows to see what exactly collectors do when they come to these shows.

The original poster mentioned something about inventory lists of dealers posted on the show site, it was followed up with a post containing the dealer list.

One point that was not made was that about 1/3-1/2 of that list posted here were links to the dealer's website. I encourage people who are interested in attending the bigger shows to take some time and go through the dealer list, line by line. Click the link to their web site, and contact them either by phone or by email... "Hello, my name is XXX and I am coming to the show this weekend. I collect Wheat Cents with holes in them by date, will you have any available at the show?" You can cut-and-paste this and send out 25-50 emails pretty quickly.

Believe me, at the bigger shows there is more competition for dealers to make money and many of them would appreciate a potential lead on a sale.

Promoting Numismatics in New England Since 2001. --- www.ebwpromotions.com
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

EBWP - thanks for the insight. I gave you your first "Like".....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

@EBWPromotions Ernie does a great job with all his shows in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Donato

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file