Home U.S. Coin Forum

I have "Coin Fever"

It seems, since I opened up these coin books back in mid September, I now have a condition known as "Coin Fever" and everyone in my family has a new afternoon routine. As soon as they walk through the door they empty their pocket change on my desk. I'm having a ton of fun watching video's and reading all about error and variety coins. Hubby runs to the bank everyday now to exchange rolls of five dollars in pennies.

This morning I was reading about Striking Errors at http://www.error-ref.com/part-vi-striking-errors/
Rims and Collars and Die Cracks ...Oh my! and then I ran into a couple of Error price guides where I came across images of finger feeder damages. I saw just how much those errors might be worth. My heart sunk to my stomach...ugh A few days ago I pulled out a penny from a penny roll that had rips in it. Son said why would someone cut up a penny like that? I just shrugged and shook my head. I set it aside and it's been at my side ever since, that is up until this morning. After I read about feeders and the slices - errors they cause I turned to look at my poor penny and it was gone! I thought I had tossed it in yesterdays penny rolls so I opened each roll and frantically searched. no luck. I looked all over my desk, on the floor, in my coin keeper. I felt horrible. then I saw my small date large date over-sized empty Rx bottle. Ha! I had tossed it in there.

I put it with my other penny family of mishaps. My camera went on the tritzzz so my Daughter in Law took these pics for me.

Do these types of errors usually get graded or do they go for sale as Raw?

Comments

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 6:23PM

I would have said all post-mint damage. I'll let the experts decide.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're all damage, not errors. The 59-D cent was hacked by a tin snips, the 98-D looks like it's been filed through, and the 63-D has a badly bruised rim. I'm not sure what the deal is with the nickel, but it's part silver.

Stick around and look at some of the stuff people post. There's lots to learn here.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is not against the rules and you care to do it. If you post the state or city you live in, members in your state or city can point you to a club, coin show, or dealer to give you a huge jump start. I found out one of the CU members lives about 10 min. away in the same city in FL! :)

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take online videos with a grain of salt, some content creators out there ramble on about stuff they don't really know.

Collector, occasional seller

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep looking and don't get discouraged. The search is half the fun.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowstew_54

The resource you cited does pretty well in showing some errors. What it is lacking is the information in chapter IX on post strike/mint damage.

Look up (google) difference between error coins vs post mint damage coins.

Also, this is a great site. You will learn a lot here.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, the fever is contagious. But, all of the pros here will help bring it down to a tolerable temp. Or at least attempt, I think mine is terminal.. Good luck!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yea! I have one of those too! And one of these and them etc.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I highly recommend
    these two books, specifically the volume 1
    1/2 cents through 5 cent

• Thanks so much for all the input, info and feedback. I just joined facebook. They have a few coin groups but just not real sure how to navigate yet :) .

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you’re excited. Don’t get frustrated. It’s a lot easier to find damaged coins than actual mint errors. Rare coins are, after all, rare. :)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd is post mint danage. Once you recognize that it comes in so many forms the sooner you can focus on the real errors. I examine coins everyday. I find all sorts of mint errors, most are minor, some unusual, a few are very interesting although all worthy of saving and putting in a 2x2 and in my error binder. I use a Plugable usb microscope that I plug into my Samsung 8+. Works great. Check out my 2006 D Lincoln French kiss post. Use the search feature in CU to find it and other error posts. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowstew_54.... Welcome aboard...As stated, the coins you showed in your post have PMD...It will take a while, however, you will learn to see the differences .... Get a Cherry Pickers Guide... it will help a lot... Have fun, and keep asking questions... Cheers, RickO

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly, but it's difficult to tell from the photo, that's a planchet lamination on your nickel. It runs through the word cents. Laminations are fairly common on war-time nickels.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only cure for "Coin Fever" is.........

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The illness resembles Ebola except you bleed money not blood. It is curable, although like malaria it can return unexpectedly.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chicken soup, afternoon nap, merino wool socks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:

More cowbell!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@DCW said:

@Raybo said:

More cowbell!

Okee Dokee, you asked for it..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fpVNhiqKQ

Just a joke rainbowstew_54, good luck on your REAL quest! :#

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're enthusiasm is nice to see. It will take some searching before you start to find some cool stuff. Welcome!

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • It is still my opinion upon further research, (coin forensics and laws of physics), it seems like cutting devices would cut through at the first point of contact of pressure? Compare the 2 photos, my 1959 coin photo and CoinscratchFever's 1989 coin photo, with a 30 year span, they look as if both are of the 'same exact type', with depth, location and force of pressure. The force of pressure is distributed evenly from outer rim to the inside point on both the obverse and reverse of the coin. I still do believe this occurrence falls under this category :
    http://minterrornews.com/features-6-20-18-strike-clips.html

How do the people at Minterrornews get these photos? Do employees at the mint grab these reject coins and report them?

The Nickel possibly had a weakness in the composition, such as internal lamination which resulted in 2 holes opposite of one another in the side of the rim. The strike force, caused the holes, a small bump at between the R and T in LIBERTY on the obverse and also caused crack(s) to form across the reverse (with branches) from at 2 o'clock to about 7 o'clock .

I'd like to have confirmation from a Mint employee that this occurrence is a flaw or an 'error' in the process of creating the coin. :)

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowstew_54 said:
    It is still my opinion upon further research, (coin forensics and laws of physics), it seems like cutting devices would cut through at the first point of contact of pressure? Compare the 2 photos, my 1959 coin photo and CoinscratchFever's 1989 coin photo, with a 30 year span, they look as if both are of the 'same exact type', with depth, location and force of pressure. The force of pressure is distributed evenly from outer rim to the inside point on both the obverse and reverse of the coin. I still do believe this occurrence falls under this category :
    http://minterrornews.com/features-6-20-18-strike-clips.html

I recall that the local Cutco representative would cut pennies in half with their scissors to demonstrate the quality of their products - then attempt to sell you a bunch of knives as well. (they do make quality products compared to the Asian imports IMHO).

But, your comments assume that the "cuts" on the coin are made when close to the fulcrum. If the coin was attempted to be cut further out on the cutting blades, the blades will be more parallel and you get the type of damage your piece exhibits. Model it with a scissors you have on hand.

And BTW - welcome to the forum!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Thanks for the welcome. The point I was trying to make is that not all damaging cuts are post mint. Cuts to coins can and do happen at the mint - ie: please see previous web link above If you take a good look at the coins in question you'll see that they have not been cut at least not in the typical fashion such as how scissors cut into paper, but that they are pressure gouges or imprints from a striking force applied from bottom and top. In the case of your coin Hemispherical we can clearly see the rim or collar has been split and is showing trough to the surface below. The 2 coins show no through and through cut as it would have to have in order to get to the very tip end, CoinscratchFever, your coin shows no damage to the rim at all and the rim on mine is not broken through the mid-point. How do you cut a coin and do no damage to the rim?

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 8:57PM

@Raybo said:

...More cow bell!!!!

• OH way funny ....Thanks for the ROTFL!

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rainbowstew
    is that like in FA? or EX FA?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowstew_54

Good to see you doing research. I would also research on how coins are minted, too. There is a vid here you can view.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1008645/error-vs-post-mint-damage

If in doubt seek a good professional LCS or send to a TPG.

“...How do you cut a coin and do no damage to the rim?”

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look how much fun you're having! There is a real addiction to this stuff.

Wait till Saturday, put on "Saturday Night Fever", bust a roll and take an aspirin. Coin Fever to the max!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file