Home U.S. Coin Forum

My New 'Trade Dollar' - Even Cooler Than I Originally Thought

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2018 10:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked this up today... I'm making an attempt to put together a type set of counterfeits, and liked the look of this one. It appears to have age and legit wear- not sure if contemporary counterfeits of these were made, but it has that look. Weight is 322 grains.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an interesting type set...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    Have you tried to open it? The reverse appears to have a seam all the way around like an opium dollar.

I was going to say that it was not a counterfeit even though not a known or new die marriage, then when I read TD's post bingo, yes it is an opium dollar opening from the reverse like typical.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, for us curious ones, how does it open?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Okay, for us curious ones, how does it open?

I second that. It's hollow- didn't notice that before!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
    edited November 10, 2018 10:26PM

I can hear the reverse move when I press on it, but it isn't significant movement.

Look on the reverse buy STATES, with your finger nail you push on the area by TES and the 6 o'clock area pops up. That is why you see multiple digs by the TES. Very ingenious for the time.

• What a cool story! Bought an opium dollar and didn't even know it!!! Good job!

Cool and congrats.
    So you actually bought a genuine trade dollar made up of two different years most likely, the reason why it didn't match any known die marriage for the 1876 year. Cool photo to boot. Value $250 approx due to poor condition.

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

She pretty.
    Would have preferred preserved opium, but so neat nonetheless.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty "cool", I like it, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely amazing. Incredible that it went unnoticed or that its secret was forgotten by previous owners.

It is extremely well made.

At the risk of encouraging potential fiddling with it, it appears that there is a second photo underneath the one that is visible. (I assume that the thin inner ring somehow comes out).

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2018 5:08AM

Really cool. Thanks for the post. :)
    I can see why this one was made but 'opium' dollars? Opium was legal in the 1870s wasn't it?

• JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Very cool find!

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is amazing... and a find right here - live - as we watched!! How cool it that...what an incredible discovery... Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome discovery!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got an Au in my class set, it is either graded or called genuine when I use it. It is a rare student who notices the seam around the rim and iD's it as an altered coin. At the ATS, we had a VIP had a Morgan $ that unscrewed to reveal a half dollar that opened into a barber dime as I recall with each coin fitting in a pocket inside the other. It was unbelievably fantastic! It was in my possession for a while along with a genuine 1901-S 25C with the "ber" of "Liberty" reengraved that we had to buy back. I returned both pieces when I left the company. :(

edited November 11, 2018 10:18AM

@Insider2 said:
    I've got an Au in my class set, it is either graded or called genuine when I use it. It is a rare student who notices the seam around the rim and iD's it as an altered coin. At the ATS, we had a VIP had a Morgan $ that unscrewed to reveal a half dollar that opened into a barber dime as I recall with each coin fitting in a pocket inside the other. It was unbelievably fantastic! It was in my possession for a while along with a genuine 1901-S 25C with the "ber" of "Liberty" reengraved that we had to buy back. I returned both pieces when I left the company. :(

Definitely something to look for, now that I know. I'd always wanted an opium dollar, but the overall appearance of this coin, along with it being peppered with tiny 'pimples' of metal in the fields, especially around the date area, led both me and the dealer I bought it from to think it was a counterfeit, possibly contemporary. Definitely a nice surprise!!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very cool find, and with a period photo inside to boot! MIne did not come with a pic, and is not quite as nicely fitted. They do show up with some regularity on eBay

• MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

An amazing find. Congratulations.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such an amazing find! Like giving new "life" to the woman pictured inside the coin

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file