Home U.S. Coin Forum

Manchester NH Show Report

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the Manchester New Hampshire show today for some entertainment. It's a regional show with about 100 dealers (I didn't count exactly). Two auction companies were having lot viewings, one of which was holding an auction on site later in the day. There were a few exhibits and some educational classes though the latter were mostly scheduled for Saturday I believe. Armed security presence was very visible for those of you who care about such things.

There were no bullion dealers or at least no one stood out. I did see a sign posted that dealers are prohibited from selling precious metals by weight to the public. I don't know exactly where that issue comes from but it may be the cause of no obvious bullion-only tables.

Thursday is dealer set up day; Friday and Saturday are open to the public. A couple dealers I talked to said Thursday was good and Friday was slow. I was there from about 1:30 to 3:00pm and I doubt it picked up much by closing time. The picture below shows the crowd at about 2pm.

There was a healthy mix of raw coins, your usual slabbed stuff, and a few higher end dealers with proof type and the like. Two or three ancient coin dealers and a handful of world coin dealers. A few error coin dealers had nice stuff, someday I may pick up a couple of those. I did not see much money changing hands. To be precise i observed exactly $10 change hands. I did see some dealer-to-dealer business apparently going on, particularly the guys with the rolling suitcases instead of tables. In general this adds to my belief that shows now are good venues for dealers to trade among themselves, but not so good for retail. I guess they take the stuff home and post it on their websites or eBay.

I didn't buy anything. As a date/mintmark collector near the end of the journey on a couple sets I've come to terms with not finding what I am looking for at shows. Rare coins are rare, and if they can't be found on the whole of the Internet they aren't likely to be found in Manchester, NH. That's OK. For a $1 admission fee and $6 parking fee I had a couple hours of fun. In the end it's probably a good thing I didn't buy anything, since upon checking in with the Forum this evening I found a better use for my money by donating to the Joe Fund.

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Thanks for the report.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many collectors work till 5-6PM. That might
    explain the low turnout at 3pm. Thanks for
    report.

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. This is the largest show near me, still about 200 miles one way. I haven't made the trip in 3 or 4 years.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report... really strange about that bullion selling rule... I have no idea why that would be in place. Any one here on the forum have any input on such a rule?? Maybe someone was selling bullion with faulty ( ;) )scales? Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a cool read, many thanks

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that report. Wish it was close enough to attend.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard that there was some early gold being sold (bust $2.5 and others). Can anyone share particulars?

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't be surprised if maybe the city has a law regarding licensing an/or reporting for bullion buying (by the dealer). Such laws aren't uncommon.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gerry Fortin has two days worth of show reports here: seateddimevarieties.com/DailyBlog.htm

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. That was a nice report. I would have liked to have been there. I bet I could have found something to buy. B)

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

This show is only an hour from me and one I normally attend. I am so swamped will work working 6 and sometimes 7 days a week right now I just couldn't get there today like I wanted. Thanks for the report

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@earlyAurum said:
    I heard that there was some early gold being sold (bust $2.5 and others). Can anyone share particulars?

There was an 1806 Half Eagle in AU58 if I recall correctly. Not sure if it was pointed 6 or Round 6.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file