Home U.S. Coin Forum

What to do with this huge quartz crystal that would be coin related...

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any gemologists out there with some suggestions? This is crystal clear and weighs about 12 pounds.

Cheers

Bob

Comments

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Hey Bob,
    My gemologist is in on Monday I'll ask him what the best thing to do with it is

all around collector of many fine things

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 4:04PM

Thats too nice. Get one with some impurities and then smash a cent onto it. :p

Edited to add:

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

aaaaah, only 12 pounds? Complete point? No damage?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    aaaaah, only 12 pounds? Complete point? No damage?

No damage to the inside. Crystal clear.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you tell the difference between quartz crystal and slag glass cullet?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retired gemologist here.................

Sorry, I can't think of a thing.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gaze into it and tell us the future! What will be the price of silver on December 31st, 2018?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was expecting a long thick crystal with a pointed end. I'd leave it exactly as is. That way you can pick it up now and then. Cut crystal balls, figurines, and large faceted gemstones are common as dirt. Cover the base you have with some blue, green, or purple velvet bunched up around the base of the quartz. IMO, that would look really nice.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you could shoot it with your 20mm gun. :o

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that would make a nice engagement ring....for King Kongs fiancee! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Combine it in a display with gold vein quartz; back and bottom light.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is large enough you could drill various appropriate sized shallow holes and put in coins for a type set of some kind

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave the quartz alone ..... it's healing :)
    How about those things on the background ...... looks like grenade & giant bullets?

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 8:27PM

And then sit. And watch them try to smoke it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul... Wow... that is one heck of a piece of quartz.... being a rock collector (could not afford toys as a kid) I find that one amazing... usually that size is either rose or smoky quartz. Being clear is unusual.... Probably a rock collector would buy it... I have never seen one like that before. Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    How do you tell the difference between quartz crystal and slag glass cullet?

Are you sure it's Crystalline Quartz.? The fracture patterns look like it's from an amorphous material like glass cullet, but I can't see in enough detail to be certain.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts as well. No crystalline structure visible from the pic. Unusually clear for quartz. Source??

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen a clear amorphous quartz mass - I would have guessed a very pure glass, but I'm just an old rockhound from my yoot. I'm looking forward to input from @coinpro76 's gemologist.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

POP! :(

Still very neat.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:
    I've never seen a clear amorphous quartz mass - I would have guessed a very pure glass, but I'm just an old rockhound from my yoot. I'm looking forward to input from @coinpro76 's gemologist.

Agree. It looks like a big chunk of glass rather than natural quartz although it would make a neat paper weight or door stop or bookend. Put a piece of felt or wood under it since it looks like it could scratch up whatever surface that it rests on.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on! What's the provenance on that hunk a hunk of crystal? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@panexpoguy said:
    Take it downtown and sell it to a junkie as the biggest piece of crystal meth in the world. Accept only coins as payment and bazinga it is numismatically safe.

Little does the OP know, but it actually is a giant chunk of crystal meth. Police & DEA are on the way. That what he gets for buying uncertified material. :o

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 8:27PM

Make one of these...

"The Skull of Doom is a life-size rock which weighs around 5.19kg (11 lb, 7 oz) and is beautifully carved from a single clear quartz crystal."
    http://brian-haughton.com/crystal-skull-of-doom/
    https://odditiesbizarre.com/crystal-skull-of-doom/

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a New-Age hippie and have them put it in a bezel to wear around their neck.

thefinn
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 10:37PM

"glass cullet" do you mean "pork cutlet" ? :)

Yeah, it does look more like lead crystal glass than natural quartz. Check it with polarized light.

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Not a solid and not a liquid.. quartz crystals can hold a lot of information.. the trick is. How to unleash that information

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2018 12:18PM

Hey sorry to keep you waiting,
    I just showed the photo to my gemo, he giggled and said thats a nice chunk of crystal, they are fairly common, as for a suggestion he did not offer up much except to carve it into a desk piece with the business name or logo on it, as carving quartz is fairly easy you can do it with a dremel tool however he suggested to get someone who knows what they are doing. I would take it a step further and say maybe have it carved into the shape of one of your favorite coins professionally, an 1856 O liberty head $20 Dbl eagle maybe? I think sculpted into a coin would be the direction I would want to go.

Sorry my gemo couldnt be much more help, I will fire him after lunch!

Best of luck and please let us know what you decide to do!

all around collector of many fine things

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, I collect them, and all crystals.

I like it

Frank

BHNC #203

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2018 7:52PM

Because this topic is on rocks or the sort, what do I have here? There are no well visited websites/forums on rocks, I have found little information. But I like to think it was a toy for an Indian child. The challenge being, once the marble is removed, the task or puzzle is to reassemble the 3 pieces so they go back together just right.

As for the OP's crystal....I would leave it as is. And I have been fooled by the raw product of glass.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file