Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Jefferson Nickel Collection.

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 26, 2023 3:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Moved to the BST forum.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic post. Very educational. I have just started taking an interest in these nickels and have been spending time studying three sets of MS 1938 to 1961 nickels I have picked up over the years. I am beginning to really like this segment of the hobby.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Sanction. When I started out, early 1990's, I made the mistake thinking I only needed steps on my coins. That changed in the first couple years as I found better struck coins. And when I did, I would go back and look at the other dates and realized I had to improve the strikes on them as well.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can relate. I have collected Cameo proofs for 18 plus years. Always looking, learning and upgrading. As time passes my collection does look better.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon Thank you for providing the photos AND descriptors. There is a lot of information here that I will use as a reference point.

Tag: Jefferson Nickels 1938 - 1970

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always I am in awe and admiration of your set and knowledge. Jefferson Nickels are THE coin for me. This is a wonderful thread with amazing pictures and coin quality. Thank you for sharing all this Leo!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An incredibly informative post... and an amazing set of Jefferson nickels.... Congratulations on acquiring such a set. And Thank You for the education on strike and grading these great coins. Cheers, RickO

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Leo, you have a beautiful set of Jefferson nickels. The number of years you put into this set trying to find well struck specimens shows.

A big CONGRATS on your terrific set.

Thanks for sharing it. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful set of Nickels. Thanks for the show! You don't see many Jeff's like that 41-D! I agree with your MS68 assessment.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 10:20AM

Holy Cow! What a post. Thank you. Have you thought about writing a reference book on the series?

Edited to remove an inaccurate observation - thanks leo

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your post is top shelf, with pics as well as information. You spent a lot of time on this collection and it shows.

A wonderful, informative presentation!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for illustrating a high level of discipline and an overlooked approach to collecting in a current series.

I assume each year you keep adding the current year. Right? Where do you get the current year's coins... from the mint?

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to come back Leo, when I have more time to peruse.

edited August 26, 2023 3:36AM

@rmorgan said:

Thanks for illustrating a high level of discipline and an overlooked approach to collecting in a current series.

I assume each year you keep adding the current year. Right? Where do you get the current year's coins... from the mint?

This is a great question and there are two answers, one would be from the US mint sets. The other, from rolls. But...from my prospective, the coins from the mint sets all look the same. The US Mint found a way to perfect those coins, starting in 2005 and up. They can be had for a quarter to a dollar and I could easily build the set in a hour by visiting my local B & M coin shop. Or complete sets might be found on ebay. Believe it or not, I don't have one single coin/date nor mint sets in that year range in the house. I do have several unopened bankrolls of circulation coins, 2004 to 2010......I bought them locally because the end coins were toned. My last order from the US Mint was 50 2003 mint sets.
    The difference between the mint set nickels and the coins made for circulation is in the definition of the hair bangs of Jefferson.
    Update: I have started to build that segment of coins from a recent local coin show. The coins looked nice so I picked up a few (11) dates, 2004 to date range.

Leo

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite series, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Hey, while you're out....can you pick me up a 30 pack of PBR? :)

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing set. Leo. I am in awe of the time spent and dedication to assemble it. Hats off!

I'll have to come back Leo, when I have more time to peruse. > @leothelyon said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Hey, while you're out....can you pick me up a 30 pack of PBR? :)

Best I can do. Tennessee Rounders from Chattanooga.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qpIych-iXoM

edited August 26, 2023 3:32AM

That will do! Thank you!

@kaz said:
    An amazing set. Leo. I am in awe of the time spent and dedication to assemble it. Hats off!

Actually, I assembled this set though a string of life rejections. Whenever I lost a job which occurred every 2 to 5 years, with time on my hands between jobs, I'd frequent the local coin shops and auctions and sometimes traveled to the larger coin shows. But being totally deaf in one ear and couldn't hear well out the other was the reason I went from one job to another and no employer would ever promote me to a higher position. Never made more that $9.63 an hour. I don't have a pension coming. The military wouldn't take me, heck, they won't even let me serve jury duty but yet, they continue to summon me up. In 2009, I had quad by-pass heart surgery because I smoked cigarettes for a number of years. One thing I can say about all those jobs I had, I never missed a day of work. After heart surgery I worked one more job for a couple months and said the heck with it and centered my time around a lawn mowing service that kept me busy these past 9 years. My cardio, so to speak. I have made a few bucks selling a few of my coins and finally was able to make a down payment on a house in 2013. I waited a long time for that. But I've been at the bottom rung of the ladder every day of my life. So....I should say, to put the time I've spent on this collection in a better perspective, there was Spring and Fall since most summers were usually busy. Maybe some Winter adventuring but not every year. It's been a couple of years since I cherry-picked a coin, another 1942-D/Horizontal D in MS65 but sold it.
    Also, I've had some prostate testing done and had a 9mm kidney stone removed but I'm good for now. A lot of great things said about this collection and I thank you. Some of you I have replied to by PM. Thanks again everyone.
    Here's a link you should enjoy, Felix Schlag, the man himself. Scroll down to Feb.1966.
    http://www.felixschlag.com/FelixSchlag

Leo

lestroup@msn.com

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!

...And lots of steps!

Tempus fugit.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 6:23PM

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

I learned a lot by reading this.

Thank you again. Great content.

Lot of great looking Jeffersons! To whom did you sell the 67FS coins to? All three to the same collector?

• tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 7:12PM

Really enjoying reading your post. So far I’ve gotten to the lathe-cut marks on the rim of an EDS. To be continued!

Are you a machinist?

@tychojoe said:
    Really enjoying reading your post. So far I’ve gotten to the lathe-cut marks on the rim of an EDS. To be continued!

Are you a machinist?

No.....but had a semester of it in college, late 1970's. Should I have become one?

• BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭

Great set of coins and information!

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Amazing effort and multi-decade dedication. A very impressive set with superb photos. Quite an accomplishment.

• sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

What an incredible collection this is! I personally like Jefferson nickel cents... Thanks a lot for sharing images and detailed information.. I am sure, a lot of effort has gone into putting together this wonderful collection.. cheers!

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@rmorgan said:

The Mint has perfected the Jefferson nickel. They are all beautiful, but the rare find now days is the one that's not. :wink:

Beautiful nickels leothelyon, thank you for taking the time to share them with us. I've been collecting Jeffersons since the late 1960's and often feel very lonely in my passion for nickels. :smile:

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

I'd really like to add a modern silver proof Jefferson to my collection!

• dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Wow! Just, wow!

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and a great presentation! AB

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's about time you show off your stuff, Great Post Leo

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

TTT cuz these are great coins and Leo put a lot of effort into this post!

• Thank you for sharing. Great collection. Jeffs from circulation got me into the hobby in the late 1970s.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Jefferson Nickels are my favorite coin, this is one of my favorite threads for a visual feast.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Impressive! :star:

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭

In a word, WOW!

edited September 9, 2023 11:18PM

You people definitely know high quality coins. No nonsense coins in this set. This presentation has always been in the works, always trying to find a way to show off quality and to cross the paths of others with like minds. The thrill of the hunt for exceptional coins never changes. Be sure to listen to Felix Schlag's audio http://www.felixschlag.com/FelixSchlag (Scroll down to Feb.1966) and watch the, "How they make coins" video. This video actually shows them cutting the 1938 master hub. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+coins+are+made&&view=detail&mid=4DBC86B1D5C99F8470A84DBC86B1D5C99F8470A8&rvsmid=9DBF4FB84F1CE988510B9DBF4FB84F1CE988510B&FORM=VDQVAP

Leo

A note on luster and proof-like BS. How reflective are the fields/surfaces, how well the mirrors/reflect back the given room light back into your eyes. And you might want to be careful about how much light you use or you might end up going blind!
    To measure the proof-likeness of a coin, when you hold a coin between two fingers by the outer rim/sides of the coin, be sure you remove the oils from your fingers with to avoid an accidental smear, I use alcohol, or special coin gloves, you may have already noticed, look for the refection of your finger in the mirror fields of a coin.

Nothing more practical than that. The U.S. Mint made Proof coins and coins for circulation using less coining pressure. They also made collector coins with the use of higher coining pressure. The Jefferson nickel and Buffalo nickel were prone to having weak strikes and mushy details due to the very hard element of "nickel" used in making the coin blanks. Locating every date that match the razor-sharp details of 1938 became my goal.

Understanding the state/stage/condition of the working dies that struck a coin is a very important, exciting, most rewarding aspect in collecting coins.
    So...look over your coins, study and peruse them to be certain they are complete with every minute detail the sculptor/US Mint initially intended to include on the finished product.

n searching out bold, pristine candidates, we must first believe/assume that all of the details were once fully impressed into the first few working hubs and dies. And so, the coin with the most details and luster becomes the most desirable coin. As always, the condition definitely divides the classes of grades. The level of eye appeal depends on the collector's experience, what to seek.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the video @leothelyon.

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me about six visits to get through your initial missive, but I have to say the time was well worth it. That is one marvelous collection. Thanks for sharing it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file