Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWPs and Images back from Todd Pollock @ BluCC Photo

Given my remoteness it took much help from friends to identify these, grade them and ultimately get them imaged on my behalf at the Baltimore show. I am in NYC and met up with these new acquisitions which I am very pleased about.

1632 GERMANY, Augsburg (Stadt). Gustav II Adolf der Große (the Great). As King of Sweden, 1611-1632. Taler (42mm, 28.98 g, 12h). DAV-4543; Forster 240; KM A68. Swedish occupation issue. Dated 1632. (rosette) GVSTAV : ADOLPH : D : G · SVECO : GOTHO : VANDALO : REX · MAG, laureate, draped, and armored bust facing slightly right / PRINC : FINLAND : DVX ETHO : ET · CARDOM : ING, crowned coat-of-arms of Sweden. Stunning GEM, deep iridescent toning. NGC MS-65.

Ex Richard A. Jourdan Collection, purchased from Stephen Harvey, December 1992.

Augsburg’s coinage vividly records changes in the city’s leadership during the Thirty Years’ War. This taler was minted in the name of Gustavus Adolphus, the Swedish king who occupied the predominantly Protestant city beginning in 1632. Only a few years after this coin was produced, the Habsburgs recaptured Augsburg, and the city resumed producing coins in the name of the Holy Roman Emperor.

1766 Austria. Burgau. Maria Theresa Levant Taler 1766. DAV-1148. KM-16. Gunzburg mint in Burgau. Burgau, located near Ulm in Germany, belonged to the Holy Roman Empire during the 18th century. It later passed to Bavaria. Well struck and fully brilliant luster intact. Austria minted a Levant Trade Thaler for two years. The venture was not a long-term success. The type is rather common in well worn condition, but Choice, Mint State specimens are very scarce. PCGS MS-65.

1884 Franz Joseph as Emperor of Austria (1848-1916) Double Florin. Vienna Mint. KM-2233. DAV-27. Mintage: 87,000. An extraordinary example of this type with remarkable Prooflike surfaces. Superb eye appeal. NGC MS 65 PL.

Comments