Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should I remove the tape and dip these collector coins?

rte592rte592 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah there's 3 minutes you wont get back.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Millions of these coins produced. No numismatic value. Might be interesting for beginner collector.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and see how they turn out .
    Or take a few out and see how they appear without any conservation/dipping :smile:
    Please let me know your results.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS
    What would you dip them in ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip a few if you want the practice, but otherwise remove the tape and spend them.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    Yeah there's 3 minutes you wont get back.

I had a nice explanation about what to do written then noticed this line, now I don't know if you are serious or not..

Well either way, IF you want to preserve them, just pull the tape off and rinse the residue with an acetone soak(acetone from the hardware store, not nail polish remover) Let them air dry on a paper towel, don't rub them or you will put hairline scratches all over them. After you do that, throw away the board, put them in a real album and let them tone. Revisit in 20 years and show us the results.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

collector?

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options

It was a semi joke, I did a search for that post of the worst thing you could do to your coins (or something like that)
    The coins dont look bad, but I just gave away/sold 26 uncirculated rolls at face value to one of the guys in the local coin club

I'll take the book to work tomorrow and heat up the tape to remove it from the book.
    Dump the coins and give away the book at the next meeting.

• Options

@MrSlider said:
    collector?

That was Bait.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

leave them and in 30 years they will have awesome toning

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just leave them alone !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 12:59AM

Agree, just leave the whole collection just the way it is. Why must anything be done?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the guys at the local coin club collected a full mint state original roll set of state quarters from both the P & D mints---a total 0f 100 rolls with a face value of $1000. He got tired of losing interest on his investment and sold them off to other coin club members for face value. :o:s

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth face value. Pull off tape, dip in acetone, pat dry, check for errors, buy new book, gift loose coins and new book to a child for Xmas. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I had a similar situation with tape across coins in a book. If you don't care about the book try soaking the whole book in a pan of water which should loosen up the tape and pretty much destroy the book. I don't think I'd go with heat as a first option.

Joe

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the sound they make, when they drop into the car wash slot.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth the effort

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you have made your decision, I will not try to dissuade you.... However, it would have made a good YN gift...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had many rolls of SLQs from the mint, all partial rolls after I distributed some to our collector group.

There was zero interest in partial rolls so I deposited them all in my bank account.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

My kids are putting together a set from quarters they find in circulation.... a good way to attract YN. You could empty it out and let someone enjoy the hunt all over again!

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to do a give-away, I'll take 'em. Enough for a Venti Mocha Frappuccino I think.

• Options

I removed the tape tonight...2 layers :( book took a little beating, coins actually look minty.
    I put a piece of clear wrap over the coins and pushed them into the holes.
    When I was done I looked up in the air and said see that's the way its supposed to be done :D
    It's a full set, so if no one wants it for face value at the next meeting I'll turn them back into the wild.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file