Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need advice with 1984-P Kennedy

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum (and also a bit of a novice in the coin collecting world) and could use your help in figuring out if my 1984-P Kennedy half dollar has something special going on...the surface is certainly unlike any of my other Kennedy coins, but not sure what type of mint error it would fall under. Also, do you all think the lips and eye are double struck or do you think it just appears that way because of the die? Would this type of error coin be worth grading? I tried to get pictures at different angles and magnification. Thank you for your help!!!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree - appears to be heavily worn dies. Maybe some strike doubling, too.

If I came across it I'd probably keep it as a example of extreme die wear.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree eroded die strike interesting but not worth getting graded, no market for it.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forums. its a good place to start :)

• Options

Thank you all for your comments. Very helpful for me in narrowing down which coins are worth grading. I've already made a few "rookie" errors and had a few coins come back from PCGS lower than I expected and two came back "cleaned UNC detail"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ady.... Welcome aboard... Looks like strike doubling and commercial wear.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file