Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1959 NICKEL

WOW! One of favorite pieces that I found while roll hunting. A circulated 1959 nickel that’s in fabulous condition. What’s impressive with this coin, it’s with full steps.

Take a look and give me your take. What it be worthwhile to see if it would be evaluated w/ a MS above 63?

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's "circulated", it won't grade MS 63....and with the marks on the face ,etc, its likely a high AU. Can't tell much more from the photos provided.

If you check the PCGS CoinFacts, you will see that even if it were to certify as an MS 65 Full Steps, which it won't, the value would be roughly $30, based on real auction results....which is roughly the cost it would be get it certified - making it a losing proposition.

But, if you want to spend the money to get a coin that you found certified, even if it means the cost exceeds the value, by all means that is your prerogative.....certainly many other people do.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steps have to be defined and without any blemishes, nicks, bridge's, or any interruptions, there are several online sources to look up and help educate you on how to evaluate the make it or break it deal when it comes to Full Step Designations, however it can be quite confusing as well, as many will have their own opinions, and I think you should look into this and learn the dates and mints that are quite scarce and valuable as well as many variety's that exist with the Jefferson Nickel Series,

It's always good to welcome another Jefferson Collector to the Hobby

Have Fun and Happy Hunting

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

Thanks for the advice and insight.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is not full steps from what I see.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice roll find.
    Keep.up the effort and you may be rewarded.
    It's fun and relaxing even if you don't find anything.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Jefferson... and a good year... I graduated High School and joined the Navy...However, that is definitely not full steps... also, not worth investing in slabbing... However, that is your decision... It would look good in an album anyway. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file