Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Registered Mail

santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2018 10:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’ve never had a dealer send me a coin by registered mail before. I have been keeping up with it by tracking. It’s been in the mail for close to 9 days. It gets to each stop, then sits there for at least a day. Is this normal?

It would have gotten here faster by wagon train.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered mail can be quite slow. The last coin I sent registered took almost two weeks to deliver and was stuck in "in transit to next facility" or something similar for most of that time. It usually doesn't seem to take that long but I'd say what you have there is normal.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2018 11:05AM

Do a little research on the forum and find the threads that complain that people didn’t receive the packages because the seller didn’t send them registered.
    And they used cash, check or PPF&F.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

SAFE AND SLOW. Usually it seems to sit in every city for 2 days when I receive something.

• Options

Well, I just got notified it’s moving its last 20 miles. LOL.

Thanks guys!

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Do a little research on the forum and find the threads that complain that people didn’t receive the packages because the seller didn’t send them registered.
    And they used cash, check or PPF&F.

You’re right, of course. Just curious since I had no prior experience with registered mail.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snail Mail.... :#

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more stops, the slower it is. I get registered mail packages in Monterey, shipped from Oakland, in 1-2 days. About 100 miles.

When I ship registered from coast to coast it is usually a week. Quickest, 4 days. Longest, 16 days.

Also, the PO doesn't seem too keen on updating each hop. Maybe for security. Or maybe employees just don't scan.
    Lance.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2018 2:13PM

unusual but not rare. If it sits too long in one place you can call the USPS toll free number and they will put a boot where it belongs.

Because it's registered, it normally gets scanned at each hand-off. It's like a hot potato for the last guy that signed for it and scanned it. Jobs are lost over register mail being lost - that's what makes it so reliable, even if slow. Cheaper too for insured items over $750. Also one can send heavy items registered mail and take advantage of a flat rate with priority flat rate boxes. But if shipment is under 13 oz. always specify "first class registered," it's a bit cheaper.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow but super secure! Your wait time isn't unusual but, personally, I'd rather have security than speed (to a point, of course.)

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep the one downside of registered is the snail pace. That and having to use the stupid paper tape. Otherwise it's an amazing service for getting expensive stuff to places safely.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:
    Yep the one downside of registered is the snail pace. That and having to use the stupid paper tape. Otherwise it's an amazing service for getting expensive stuff to places safely.

The paper tape is not that bad once you figure it out. I use a wet sponge and it works like a charm.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be patient.

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

You have to seal the pkg with paper tape ?

photo index.gif

• Options

@Rich49 said:
    You have to seal the pkg with paper tape ?

they put their post mark stamp on all the package seams and edges of tape - no plastic envelope, no bubble envelope and only paper tape. Pre-glued rolls of tape available at Staples. Just cut, wet and apply.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send flat rate priority registered. Really improves the time, usually

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Also, the PO doesn't seem too keen on updating each hop. Maybe for security. Or maybe employees just don't scan.
    Lance.

They don't update for the general public to see, but if you ask a competent postal clerk, they can show you the internal tracking history.

• Options

@coinlieutenant said:

USPS has confirmed with me that priority registered gets treated no different than first class registered when it comes to handling and delivery time. It's all treated as registered. Only difference is that priority registered cost a little bit more but allows one to take advantage of priority flat rate discounts. Anything over thirteen ozs. gets charged at the priority rate. A shipment less than 13 oz. gets a discount (if not in a priority box or envelope) if sender specifically requests "first class registered" at time of shipping.

• Options

@1peter1223 said:

@derryb said:
    unusual but not rare. If it sits too long in one place you can call the USPS toll free number and they will put a boot where it belongs.

You have to wait 2 weeks from date of shipment before USPS will move their feet on a reg package . I had a Reg package sit at 1 usps distribution center for over 1 week . Had to wait exactly 2 weeks then the seller and i requested a tracking inquiry .

My experience with USPS begs to differ.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@coinlieutenant said:

USPS has confirmed with me that priority registered gets treated no different than first class registered when it comes to handling and delivery time. It's all treated as registered. Only difference is that priority registered cost a little bit more but allows one to take advantage of priority flat rate discounts. Anything over thirteen ozs. gets charged at the priority rate. A shipment less than 13 oz. gets a discount (if not in a priority box or envelope) if sender specifically requests "first class registered" at time of shipping.

Agree that for larger heavy shipments, this saves tons. For smaller ones, I still see the priority get there faster. USPS won't guarantee it, or say it, but it does move faster. And I've spent about 4K in shipping so far this year....large sample size.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@coinlieutenant said:

I thought that you automatically got first class registered if the weight was under 13 ounces.

• Options

@derryb said:

Because it's registered, it normally gets scanned at each hand-off. It's like a hot potato for the last guy that signed for it and scanned it. Jobs are lost over register mail being lost - that's what makes it so reliable, even if slow. Cheaper too for insured items over $750. Also one can send heavy items registered mail and take advantage of a flat rate with priority flat rate boxes. But if shipment is under 13 oz. always specify "first class registered," it's a bit cheaper.

Best to call the sitting on it PO branch directly yourself.

• Options

@coinlieutenant said:

noitdon't.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2018 8:01PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

I thought that you automatically got first class registered if the weight was under 13 ounces.

Not always, manually entered by the clerk. He has two choices unless you specify. Hey, it's not his money.

• Options

I don't ever recall a window clerk trying to charge me priority rates for a 5 ounce first class envelope. For a single slabbed coin, put it in a Safe T Mailer and put that into a regular letter envelope. Wrap brown tape around it and you're good to go. Registered mail gets kinder and gentler handling so no damage worries.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinlieutenant said:

@derryb said:

@coinlieutenant said:

Agree that for larger heavy shipments, this saves tons. For smaller ones, I still see the priority get there faster. USPS won't guarantee it, or say it, but it does move faster. And I've spent about 4K in shipping so far this year....large sample size.

for REGISTERED, there is no different handling of priority mail. Derryb is correct. They go in the pouch and must be signed for. There is no "1st class pouch" and "priority pouch", there's only one pouch. Go ahead and pay for an overnight shipping - it'll still just go in the registered pouch if it's registered with NO overnight guarantee. Go to your post office and try it.

You are deceiving yourself with confirmation bias.

• Options

@1peter1223 said:

@derryb said:

@1peter1223 said:

@derryb said:

You have to wait 2 weeks from date of shipment before USPS will move their feet on a reg package . I had a Reg package sit at 1 usps distribution center for over 1 week . Had to wait exactly 2 weeks then the seller and i requested a tracking inquiry .

My experience with USPS begs to differ.

Do you mean that before the 2 weeks from shipment , "Your" usps guys will run a search/trace/inquiry on a Registered mail package ?
    That ( 2 weeks from shipment date ) is what i have been told by a couple of Post Offices i have used and when i have called the 800 USPS # . Unless they changed this policy in the last couple of years ?

Can anyone else chime in ? Thanks.

You can't file a claim for 14 days but you can file a "locate mail" after 7 days.

https://usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

But registered mail requires patience.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    I don't ever recall a window clerk trying to charge me priority rates for a 5 ounce first class envelope. For a single slabbed coin, put it in a Safe T Mailer and put that into a regular letter envelope. Wrap brown tape around it and you're good to go. Registered mail gets kinder and gentler handling so no damage worries.

They shouldn't try to charge priority unless you use priority packaging. They also SHOULD not try to upcharge you on the shipping like they do for a regular package since there is only one registered shipping tier.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

They shouldn't try to charge priority unless you use priority packaging. They also SHOULD not try to upcharge you on the shipping like they do for a regular package since there is only one registered shipping tier.

They used to charge a "fee in addition to postage." It was IIRC $7.50. Now it's just included along with insurance for the declared value.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For items of value, I always use Registered mail....Yes, it is slow, but I have never had a problem with that system. I have heard (on this forum) once or twice of issues, but very rare. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Well, it was worth the wait. This MS66 arrived today.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:

WHOA... awesome piece and the NM that you wanted, congrats !!

• Options

Funny registered mail story - after all the discussion here.

I took some gold to the P.O. I ha put it in a bubble envelope which was then in a manila envelope with the appropriate tape. Since it was a little thick an a little uneven, I did it as small package with registration which was $19.35. [I use discount postage.]

I get to the window and the woman says to me, "You know registered can be slow."

I said, "I know."

She said, "it could be as long as a month"

I said, "I know". [Although I've never had one take quite that long.]

Then she rang it up as $17 and change. She had rung it up as 1st class 3 ounces. I said, "shouldn't that go small package". She said, patting the envelope, "it'll probably go through, these don't go through any machinery."

I said, "whatever gets it there. Keep the change."

Now, per the earlier discussion - there is NO advantage to sending it priority. And now I'm wondering if I could save a couple bucks an send them all 1st class registered rather than 1st class package registered.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.

• Options

@grip said:
    Very nice coin.

Thanks!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@santinidollar said:

WHOA... awesome piece and the NM that you wanted, congrats !!

Well, if you recall, it was your suggestion. :)

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to beat a dead horse, but do you want to "know" it will get there or "hope" that it will get there? I know what I prefer, especially when I am returning someone else's coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file