Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"CLOSED"...a new sheriff in town.

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS's new forum moderator doesn't care for politics, social division, or conflict among members, it seems. Witness all the new "closed" threads.

This feels okay to me. I think the message is "keep it about coins" or else.

But it's a different attitude from the past that allowed more open expression. Interesting topics were discussed that pushed the limits of "coin talk".

I guess I'd choose strict moderation over inattention and then sudden, erratic bamming. Last week's slaughter was ugly.

I do like that someone from PCGS is now paying attention.

What's your take?
Lance.

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say bring back the OF and leave the coin talk in the US Coin Forum!!

Doug
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018 11:02PM

IMHO those 'closed' threads were harmless ..... full of celebratory notes and a little chats among friends is A wonderful thing <3
    Ms. Boyd will get to know us better in time :)

• Options
    edited October 22, 2018 11:02PM

..... and one more thing .......
    With her proven authority the OF would be much better than the past since Ms. Boyd will indeed keep it straight within the narrow lines B)
    Please let me experience the OF.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think there's an issue or anything is on the radar until there's drama. No drama queens = no problems.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a bit of discipline is required. Even for the older kids.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if I start a thread about the weather I'll be banned? No...that's not true. I think it's important to talk "just coins" but I do think it's okay to talk about other subjects too, perhaps coin related, perhaps not. Just be civil. Once you become rude, angry, name bashing, or foul....you don't have a place here. I for one have enjoyed a coin chat that is informative and has good manners. Sure you can disagree but keep it in bounds of good taste.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

instead of griping in public why not PM the Mod and see what can be done about your little gripe, maybe they will be willing to work with you , never hurts to try that route

• Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Please let's keep it peaceful and professional !!! :)

Thank you !!! :)

Let’s keep it peaceful, but not necessarily full of peace.

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the OF should be back......he has always be trouble.....not just this last time!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2018 6:39AM

Either way, it's a big dance floor.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't think the OF should be back......he has always be trouble.....not just this last time!

I believe that consideration for recreating an open forum here is off the table. Regulars should be more concerned with maintaining a coin forum.

Good idea to follow the lead of our new moderator and stick to US coins.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the crying via reporting and PM to Don Willis has resulted in this. It is now a police state! Be careful what you wish for.

I also imagine the threads with suggestive titles like, "should I go all the way" will be cracked down upon. Amen to that. The inmates were running the asylum for a long time. Not any more!

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be good to have a strong and effective moderator. The troops will fall in line.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

On another forum I frequent about VW automotive, if the photos don’t show a VW or a part of one they get deleted and discussions aren’t related to the vehicle make, they also get deleted. Quickly. There is easily the same amount of users and posted topics as there are here, maybe bigger as the interest and participation is worldwide. Naturally, you can smell the envy when someone unearths a rare and valuable barnfind, and if a problem arises with a user, they get voted off the island so to speak by the mods. The mods are prob cutting 20% of fluff out of the forum every day. I’m guessing there are 20 different categories and 1-3 mods per and some doing double duty, so that is a lot of oversight I think. The forum is such a great resource though, and Mostly, the topics and write ups are important and helpful. How valuable is it to do a search on a service and have hundreds of threads in the topic. If someone posts a question that has already been answered the thread gets closed with a link to the relevant thread so that the search tool doesn’t get swamped with repetitive titles. This takes a solid commitment to the forum that is based in love and appreciation of VDubs and a clear focus on what the purpose and goals of that forum are by its founder.

Can it be done here? I certainly hope so. The focus should be on coins and the knowledge base surrounding them, not individual users and their personalities.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the BST can use this help in keeping it safe for all the users there. Let's stay focus when you have a board that can cost you or some one else $$$ big $$$ in some cases that would help a lot. But what do we have if we cant out a person that wrong some one on the BST if they are scammers I don't get it. We will see how this pans out.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the crying via reporting and PM to Don Willis has resulted in this. It is now a police state! Be careful what you wish for.

I also imagine the threads with suggestive titles like, "should I go all the way" will be cracked down upon. Amen to that. The inmates were running the asylum for a long time. Not any more!

Where is that disagree button? ;):D:D

We had some serious trolls here and they were causing a lot of mayhem. Maybe not everyone was bothered by getting 1000 retaliatory or malicious "disagrees" but obviously a lot of people were. Either way, it was impeding the civility of the forum.

I hope that once things settle down the future moderation will be in the form of high level oversight and responding to "flags", rather than babysitting. But we will see what the management feels is necessary....

• Options

I though OF is short for Open Forum :/

@DIMEMAN said:

• Options
    edited October 23, 2018 9:56AM

I've changed the title and IMHO we are not all in a prison nor in a police state ;)
    PEACE to all <3

@Wabbit2313 said:

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rule about relevance to US coins is nothing new - it is Rule #6 and I’m glad to see it enforced.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. > @jwitten said:

I wanted to say something about all the harmless and fun threads that had been closed, but I didn't want to get banned again.

Me to. You took the words outta my mouth bud. Yes I feel the same way here.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Yes, "OF" refers to the old Open Forum. I'm not sure whom Dimeman was referring to.

Our hosts shut down the Open Forum and tightened up a while back, but came to tolerate some marginal and transient off-topic stuff over time, probably because people weren't complaining, and were generally behaving.

I suppose such purges are necessary from time to time, to keep things within tolerable limits. Accordingly, I expect that as people settle down and behave, moderators will find other chores more pressing and engaging than babysitting, and boundaries will loosen once again.

Part of the ying and yang of life.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind a little enforcement to keep the topics at least coin related in this particular forum, that's not even close to a so-called police state. I didn't mind the light hearted threads or side-trips, but the political nonsense and King-Kong style strutting while behind the keyboard got very old, especially if they dynamited the topic while posting a dirty penny - to keep it "coin related".

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another thing: How 'bout that Mega Million? Who's playing?

JK!
    Lance.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said, Heather.
    I appreciate your candor and willingness to find the hammer.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad these threads are being closed. The discussions here should be centered around coins, and not cliques or individual contributors.

• Options

@Washingtoniana said:
    For what it's worth, for me, the most enjoyable part of coin collecting is reading the snippy, slappy drama between rich old guys ripping on each others' treasures. It's a selling point, something to encourage, something that would appeal to the masses, boost stock price, ensure business viability for another century. Imagine a TMZ-like app for coin smack talk.

This gave me a good hearty chuckle! Alas, drama watchers will have to eat their popcorn elsewhere.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Washingtoniana said:
    Imagine a TMZ-like app for coin smack talk.

As long as there is a segment dedicated to glamour shots from Hawaii (of coins, of course). ;)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen 'em come and seen 'em go. I've seen it ebb and seen 'em flow.

What I'm trying to say is....................I don't know.

Oh well. ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    And another thing: How 'bout that Mega Million? Who's playing?

JK!
    Lance.

Thank you for reminding me of the HUGE jackpot bud. Can you imagine how much fun we could have at the fun show with that kinda dough :) Now THAT would be fun. :);)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Lance, that coin is SWEET!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are these other social media forums? I would like to see the take on the "caravan" coming up from Mexico to our boarder, but realize this is not the place to do it.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a lovely 1810 half!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog:

That photography is almost as amazing as the coins!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this thread only gets this ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:
    Thank you for the feedback everyone. Someone above said it best, this is a forum about U.S. coins hosted by a company that grades and authenticates coins for the purpose of allowing people to learn about, and discusses, coins. If I see five threads on the same off-topic subject, IE. yesterday regarding the banning and return of some popular members I will close them. Members coming to the forum to ask questions or share insight do not need to see such things and wonder at the drama that unfolded. It was time to move on.

I had a much longer response written out but I will leave you all with this:

You are welcome to post an off-topic thread, just be aware it may be closed at the discretion of a mod. I would prefer to use warnings instead of outright bans, but if a severe issue arises the ban hammer will come out.

Be civil and kind, we will all get along great.

Godspeed.

As a member of the antique radio forums - politics is totally out of all discussions. I think it is our pride in embracing good old vacuum tubes that provides a natural incentive to not ...do it.. in our own back yard. It is a wonderful atmosphere.

For here, such a goal is likely out of reach. Recently there was a thread started about an upcoming show in San Francisco, put on via the excellent work of Scott Griffin, and within four posts the thread was discussing poop on the sidewalks.

Like I said:
    Godspeed Heather Boyd.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I write this at the risk of possibly alienating some of you,but so be it.

While I would never impose my religion or morality on others in a coin forum,and knowing that I post here by choice, I strongly dislike threads and comments of any inappropriate nature containing sexual innuendos.

I don't think that this is the place for it and I believe that it brings the forum down in class.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The original OF crew is still alive and well and posting under an "OFR" moniker, just not on the collectors.com domain. It is somewhere that it's crudeness has escalated to new heights in some cases ... :p

Doug
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog you do like your pretty nickels. Those are sweet. And the colors are magnificent. I can take a photo and get it in focus and sometimes they look ok but I rarely ever get color like you do. Maybe never get color like you do would be more accurate. I sure would like to spend an hour just looking over your shoulder while you shoot some of those photos and see how you do it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file