Home Metal Detecting
Options

Some good keepers today at a corn field - large cent, silver, unknown stuff!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

Got some oddball finds today. No idea on a couple of them. Got a nice 1838 LC, bunch of buttons, couple pieces of silver!, and the folded thing which is a bit larger than the large cent - it looks to have hung from something as there's a little attachment on one end. I think it has "HAIL" at top with another word but I can't read it. The inside of the fold looks to be the indentation of where the design was pushed through. Any idea on what it is and age?? Some neat surprises today.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely some curious finds there.... and I have no idea what they are... Hopefully some of our other members may give us some information. Is that first piece brass?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice assortment of relics. May I suggest that you first use a magnet on each to see what is iron. Next soak the items in distilled water for a few days so the soil lifts off the surfaces. Use a soft toothbrush on all the items except the large cent. Next consider a soak in mineral oil and pat dry with paper towel or cotton cloth. Use a frayed wooden toothpick in the nooks and crannies or a thorn. Revealing details adds to the reward of digging artifacts. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, neat find !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat finds!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

I see Dayton so you might be in Ohio? I think the other is Mail so maybe a postal badge or medal. Let us know after the dirt is removed. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭

Second post I've seen with a coin cut in half. Was that common practice back in the day?

• Options

I'm sure that in yesteryears, a coin was a nice convenient piece of metal to improvise with. I can't tell you how many large cent washers I've dug. Peace Roy

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, coins were used as pie cutters, fuses, on car battery's, as washers as Roy mentioned and other applications... Cheers, RickO