Home U.S. Coin Forum

MINT ERROR OR PMD?

2 copper pennies.....

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It got ugly when Lizzie Borden worked at the mint.

:o

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

(-1)

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• @Coinstartled said:
    It got ugly when Lizzie Borden worked at the mint.

:o

So yes or no to both, please? Newer collector.... thanks, boys.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously cut with shears -

....and the memorial one has
    schmutzem on it, like many coins
    that spend time in circulation.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

funny

Frank

BHNC #203

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send them for grading.....what ya got to lose? Might get a real winner someday.

bob :)
    Or, buy a book or two.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will almost never find major errors in circulation. They get pulled out too quickly. You might find the occasional variety, but usually only the hard to see ones. You might find slightly off coins (dimes a lot, it's so common) or the occasional minor cud or die chip. But you have a LOT of studying to do before you waste a lot of time staring at schmutzem on coins.

I mean this in the kindest possible way. We don't mind helping each other out. But when you post a dozen obviously damaged coins over the course of a few days, you start to wear out your welcome. There are a lot of internet resources and books available which can help. There's probably Youtube videos that might help. We don't mind helping a little. But if you post one more coin that someone hit with a hammer or snipped with shears, some of us are going to put you on ignore and other people are going to start getting sarcastic and rude. They can't help it. They are curmudgeons by nature.

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

If I can see it's PMD, you can see it's PMD.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:
    If I can see it's PMD, you can see it's PMD.

My grandmother's been dead for 20 years and even SHE can see it's PMD. :wink:

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2018 8:48AM

This is the rare struck with shear error and mind you much rarer than the struck through. I think you may have something there and if I may be so bold, I would suggest sending it in express service.

Edited to add: This must be extremely rare as I have never, ever seen any of the experts or error collectors post it before.

Nice score, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cents acquire all sorts of pmd. As a new collector, time well spent is to use the Google and read about mint errors and other kinds of damage. This sad cent is pmd. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD...no doubt about it.... Nothing even remotely resembling that would come out of the mint. Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    PMD...no doubt about it.... Nothing even remotely resembling that would come out of the mint. Cheers, RickO

Thanks for your mature response in furthering my knowledge of numismatic errors.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two suggestions:

1) spend some time on the internet learning about the minting process, which will help understand which sorts of things can or can't be legitimate errors.

2) take some coins and various tools and beat, hammer, cut, and grind some coins. You will learn the what and how of PMD.

That's what I did many years ago and it really helps you to understand things.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cherrypickerrrrr said:

@ricko said:

Thanks for your mature response in furthering my knowledge of numismatic errors.

Hi @cherrypickerrrrr
    If you are actually serious about the coins you are posting, you would stop clogging the forums with your threads and start reading and doing research!
    MANY well respected members have already politely encouraged you to do some research and reading before generating multiple threads about worthless coins.
    Until you make an effort your posts are just spam spam spam and eggs. See Google.com for coin information and definition of “internet troll”

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

little advice
    read up on the types of errors found on coins though books and the internet, that way you will know if you have a error or not

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file