Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New collector looking for guidance

2»

Comments

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bob for the personal analogy. I am excited about building a collection.

So excited that I already ordered another coin before my Oregon has even arrived.

Was trying to take advantage of an ebucks deal but not seeing anything worth buying. Then decided to check out Indian cents, and found the exact 1908 MS65RB used as the first image in the PCGS coinfacts app. On top of being a particularly nice example it was at what I think was a pretty decent price with 10% ebucks.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132766237365

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2018 1:24PM

Welcome aboard! Don’t forget your Jefferson Nickels. Lol just kidding. Collect what you enjoy. I never pass a chance to promote nickels. ;)
    Happy collecting!
    Rocco

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard. I like the coin a lot, congratulations.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    Maybe should just leave the toning thing as "personal preference." I will probably stay away from rainbow colors.

Why that the best color.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story bobsr.:)

• Options

Rocco I will probably add a "war nickel" to my list along with a steel cent. Interesting story to go with those.

Other adds to the to-buy list are a 1920 pilgrim 50c and a 1926 $2.5 gold sesqui.

I made another purchase this week. First year mercury dime. I might have gotten a similar coin for a little less $$ but this one was speaking to me. I like having the trueviews, def prefer the "secure shield" slabs. This merc should arrive Monday.

• Options

Type2 as I've been spending a lot of hours looking at coins lately im definitely coming to appreciate toning. Im not drinking the koolaid yet but I see the attraction. Im going to stick with white silver coins for now but maybe my taste in coins will "mature" to include toning.

The color on my penny is probably enhanced with age, maybe this is my first toned coin. It is not the best struck penny and there is a black spot on the shield but the 2-tone color scheme makes it interesting!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many online images are ‘tweaked’ to make the coin more attractive. Be very careful buying online, esp on eBay.

My advice would be to go to as many coins shows as possible. This will give you the opportunity to see many examples of whatever series you are interested in. Try to focus on two or three areas, and examine as many coins as you can, both raw and slabbed. Nothing beats holding the coin in your own hands. It won’t take long before you recognize nice examples and good values.

Buying a good book or two goes a long ways as well. Get ‘close’ to a series, and you’ll enjoy collecting even more.

Good luck!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

The collection is growing quickly. I'm closing the gap on a early 20th century "type set" from 1c to $20.

In addition to those in the picture below, I bought a 1926 $10 in ms64 and 1908 $20 no motto in ms65 locally, and had the dealer send both out to be re-slabbed with gold shield holders. Neither had trueviews. Sounds like it could be a few weeks before they come back.

So all I need before moving on is 1917 25c type 1, 1921 $1 high relief, and $2.5 gold indian.

• Options

The $5 gold was my latest ebay purchase. Looks fantastic in person. Comparing trueviews of other 63's this one seemed to have a lot fewer marks on it. Very attractive coin. Didnt really want to dip below 64 for my set but $5 get expensive real fast.
    I like this one.

Im a little concerned about the $10 and $20 I bought. Got both for a good price but I dont know if I trust my own eyeballs. The 10 had really clean fields but a red spot, which didnt bug me much, hopefully i dont change my mind. The 20 seemed like it had a lot of marks for a 65 but comparing others in coinfacts maybe thats just how they are. I am anxious to see the trueviews.

• Options

And finally, if it isnt already apparent, I am not going to buy anything online unless I can authenticate seller pics vs trueviews. I.e. I'm only purchasing gold shield holders. I think pcgs should image every single coin that comes through given the number of fakes that are out there.

• Options

@topstuf said:

@Pedzola said:
    Gluggo got your message thanks!

Colonel, good suggestion, both those coins are on my short list.

Eureka, I want to get an Oregon Trail commem. There may be a couple others but that one really sticks out to me.

Then you do have "the eye." I just read ...somewhere... in the last couple months that many consider THAT one to be the most beautiful US coin.
    I think I agree.
    I sold my High Relief $20 gold that is ...traditionally... named as the most beautiful, but I kept my Oregon. :)
    Something about the representation of the westward movement in US history.

Bold and well executed design in my opinion.

I would love to own one, so beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file