Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Complete Charlotte Gold Collection...

CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe some of you have seen this already. This is a very interesting story. This set has been together for at least 50 years, maybe longer. It is almost a shame to certify and split up.

Russell on Wed, Oct 31, 2012 11:58:18 PM

We certainly auction a lot of coins, and despite rarities we see on a regular basis, every so often we see something that has the complete "wow" factor. This past week was the complete set of 19th century Charlotte gold coins that was consigned to GreatCollections. The set is housed in a custom display, similar to the famous Capital Plastics holders.

We'll be writing more about the set in upcoming weeks, however, we wanted to show you how it looked when it first came into GreatCollections. The current owner purchased the set in the 1970s intact, and it's been in a bank vault ever since. GreatCollections will be having the coins graded in the next few weeks.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be watching this with interest.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

That’s really impressive. And the holder is epic too!

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how many will come back as cleaned.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quoted story is from 10/31/2012??? Is it being auctioned now?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be cool to see. How big is the holder (to get a reference in my mind)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 8:00PM

Catbert. I think you are right about being an old story.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    MCADSPECMCADSPEC Posts: 72 ✭✭

Dahlonega Museum has a similar set of Dahlonega minted coins. If ever in that area, it is well worth your time to look over this complete collection. It has one of every coin that was minted there. It is located in downtown Dahlonega.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 7:31PM

Shame to break that up. Beautiful presentation. Edit to say a bit of crust would be even nicer.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Shame to break that up. Beautiful presentation. Edit to say a bit of crust would be even nicer.

As soon as I saw "Charlotte Gold" I knew you would be interested in this thread! :)

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an utterly beautiful set!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy moly, just leave it alone !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is (was) an amazing assemblage of gold coins. Such a shame to break it up... but that happens with many/most collections eventually. Glad there are pictures anyway. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

A shame to break it up. :'(

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one awesome looking gold set!!!

Thanks for sharing a photo of it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

id be tempted to leave it alone just as is. thats jmo

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all know this is from 2012 right???

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

You all know this is from 2012 right???

Okay, go back in time and don’t break it up!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

@Smudge said:

As soon as I saw "Charlotte Gold" I knew you would be interested in this thread! :)

Dern tootin. 2012, I guess it's gone now, too bad.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a similar set here in NC in the same typed frame holder. An old farmer owned it, a friend of mine (retired dealer) showed it too me several years ago when I was at his office. Not sure if it has been broken up by now or not. My dealer friend was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last year, so I have not seen him either to ask him.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2018 7:00PM

@Smudge said:

@Hallco said:

@Smudge said:

Dern tootin. 2012, I guess it's gone now, too bad.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happened to the holder?

Later, Paul.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file