Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Tonight, A 15 year search for a coin ended

Comments

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 10:25PM

congrats! I put a bid of $2388 on it late, but it didnt register because I was lower than someone that sniped just ahead of me. I finished in 4th place. Do you have a Lincoln Registry Set going? I'd like to see the rest of your collection. I hope you plan on getting that TrueView photographed. Post some in-hand photos when you get it.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

And do post the story of the beginning of this hunt ... 15 years back would place it in year 2003. Did you try to bid on this and lose it back them? Share the story.

• BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Talk about blew me out of the water haha. Glad to see it quenched that 15 year thirst.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we start with the basic concept of just finding a nice struck 1923 S...I mean, you got it all!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

I almost spit my drink out when I read your comment on your 14-D!

Nice set!

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

A man has to have priorities....

David

@LincolnCentMan said:

A man has to have priorities....

David

At least you had your priorities straight, girls are temporary, coins are forever.

• yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the 23-S!

• JGDcoinsJGDcoins Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Ahh so you're the one. Congrats on the coin.I would have been higher in the bidding war on this but I finally found a 23s after a few years(not 15 lol)

That is a really sweet 63RB! You were blessed to find it so “quickly.”

Thanks for sharing.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2018 10:28PM

very nice new pickup, I still have the 18-s in 66BN that I bought from you in 04. :)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

I remember that 18-S well and have thought of it many times since you bought it. I’m happy it is with someone who apprieciates it as much as me. Side point: If you ever decide to sell it, I will always be interested.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job with the set so far. I like your attitude and focus.

Congrats on the new 23 S. Definitely a tough coin in gem. I like it already but please post some new photos when you get it.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 1923-S. They're hard enough to find in high mint state, but to find one with these colors is next to impossible. Can't wait to see some good photos............which it deserves.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LincolnCentMan awesome coin! Great eye appeal. I read this thread before and the colors and story of BN cents sent me combing through eBay listings.
    If I end up buying one of these colorful BN I will blame you lol. ;)

...a blame I will gladly accept!

Let me know if you get one. Also, there are many knock out collections in the toned lincoln registry. I hate to suggest a few because everyone works hard on and is proud of there accomplishment. I’d hate to leave someone out.

There are several sets where the owners are CLEARLY focusing on eye candy over numeric grade. Those sets are spectacular!

My personal goal is all in 65BN or better from 1909-1933. I have no plans to fight for the nicest Browns from 1934 to 1958.

David

• TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Congrats LincolnCentMan.

I'm by no means an expert in this series...your coin looks like a RB (red brown) to me.

@TopoftheHill said:
    Congrats LincolnCentMan.

I'm by no means an expert in this series...your coin looks like a RB (red brown) to me.

Thats by all means a brown, the rb and bn designation is quite flawed imo..

It's clearly a brown, in-hand. The blues are toning highlights that appear as you rotate the cartwheel. It does have some traces of red in the protected areas, but not nearly enough for the RB designation. I've "seen" three coins in PCGS brown holders that a strong argument could be made for RB. VDB coins has a 21-S in PCGS 65BN that's pretty close. I have an 18-D along the same lines. I have a 38-S in a 64BN holder... lets just say I'll upgrade it if I find one in a PCGS holder that is truly brown.

All-in-all, I think PCGS does really well with their color designations.

• deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

23-S is BRUTAL!
    That goes along with 24-S, 13-S, 14-D, 14-S, 15-S, 25-S, 24-D, 11-S, 25-S, 26-S, 27-S...am I forgetting anything here?

Some people scoff at the "lowly Lincolns" but they can be a deep challenge if you desire higher mint state examples.

That unnecessary comment been said, here is what I really mean to say:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm very happy for you! I'm glad your search has been completed and your diligence has been rewarded! So much for your savings account but I shouldn't talk. My 401K is sitting in blue PCGS boxes and late at night, I swear there is snarky laughter coming from somewhere inside those boxes.

Here is one of the culprits, which admittingly is paltry compared to yours

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. Enjoy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

My ten year search for a coin ended yesterday!

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

David, Your 23-S is spectacular. I limit my Lincoln collection to toned proofs. And I can appreciate what you had to pay for this coin. My IHC PR set of toned Indians (Paha Sapa Indians) was expensive to complete as there is a significant premium for toned coins. NT like your 23-S and hopefully dodging some AT coins along the say. I think that you did very well for the price.

Get a TrueView and then have it printed on a canvas that you can put on your wall.

OINK

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats David!

Great story and I love your passion!

That is a beautiful Gem of a Lincoln cent. Glad you were able to secure it.

15 years is certainly a long time.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Early Lincolns are a challenge to be sure. Even when you find the coin in the grade you want they can still be kinda ugly. Nice pickup on a well struck 1923-S.

thechristophercollection.net

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChristopherCoins said:
    Early Lincolns are a challenge to be sure. Even when you find the coin in the grade you want they can still be kinda ugly. Nice pickup on a well struck 1923-S.

thechristophercollection.net

Very nice website you have there @ChristopherCoins, as a Lincoln collector I enjoyed looking thru it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations on your quest achievement !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)