Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As a dealer, every now and then I don't mind buying a coin for $200 and then selling it for $100

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

This recently happened to me on one of my 99 cent ebay auctions. I lost 50%.

But, ........

This made me take a hard look at what I had bought on how it performed. It was a major error coin but it fell out of the parameters of what I usually buy. One influence on the decision to buy was that it was a BIN on an ebucks 10% day.

Constant reevaluation and refinement in my business model has really helped my bottom line.

Think first.

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

their have been some purchases I made years ago that i bought with a 10 percent e bucks promo that I would lose money on even if I sold it with a 10 percent seller e bucks promo

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if your are in the business long enough there will be a time or two a coin gets sold by you from cheaper than what you purchased it for.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    You simply made an ....error... in the acquisition. >:)

Stop it!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can identify with this, I usually do not sell at auction for this very reason. I have lost money and basically given stuff away at times. I have even lost when selling buy it now items.
    I actually feel guilty when I win an auction for substantially less than the true value.
    It all sort of evens out when I cherrypick a high grade variety that I need or that I can flip.
    I see each transaction as a lesson, unfortunately most of my education has come at considerable expense.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2018 12:36PM

Aspie_Rocco said;

I actually feel guilty when I win an auction for substantially less than the true value.

Don't feel guilty. It's not healthy. I know where you're coming from. Better to be happy. Basically, you outsmarted the competition. That's a good thing.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who hasn't lost some money on coins, is a person who collects his change to roll up.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business has it's lessons. I struggle with the same question, every month. "Should I keep paying the rent, or get a job as a greeter at Wally World ? "

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Business has it's lessons. I struggle with the same question, every month. "Should I keep paying the rent, or get a job as a greeter at Wally World ? "

Sorry folks...park's closed! The moose out front shoulda told ya!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to occasionally decide to take a loss on a coin. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to keep on holding it.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2018 3:00PM

Interesting. But where's the profit?

• Options
    edited October 2, 2018 3:11PM

Very uncalled for. But expected.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tesla has it down. Lose money on every car and make it up in subsidies.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have one in mind? Please entertain me! ;)

I have to occasionally decide to take a loss on a coin. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to keep on holding it.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the words of the Prophet, Clint Eastwood:\

"A man has got to know his limitations."

I buy and sell every day, a non coin type of stuff, where there is no price guide, just past sales on ebay, seat of the pants experience, swings in demand, etc.

I would be NEGLIGENT if I did not buy some stuff on a gamble that it would be profitable, and it was not, If I was that timid, I would lose out on buying a lot of true winners.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    In the words of the Prophet, Clint Eastwood:\

"A man has got to know his limitations."

I buy and sell every day, a non coin type of stuff, where there is no price guide, just past sales on ebay, seat of the pants experience, swings in demand, etc.

I would be NEGLIGENT if I did not buy some stuff on a gamble that it would be profitable, and it was not, If I was that timid, I would lose out on buying a lot of true winners.

Well said. Especially in the case of the OP where error coins are nearly unique and certainly unconventional.

Ebay of course extracts the same percentage whether the coin is a home run or a soft pop out.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watch out ...... don't whisper to my ear; I need to let go some fume >:)

@ColonelJessup said:
    Monthly :/

Boredom breeds brain farts :s

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP, you could do what several sellers have done to me when I win an auction at a low price and then "can't find" the coin. :D

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the only profession I know that if I lose $$$ on a coin it does not bug me to much. I just move on to the next one.

Brain farts do happen.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Maybe it was just a bad auction and the coin really is worth $200. Seems like that happens more and more often on eBay.

The way I look at it is that in order to learn and adapt to the ever changing market I have to take chances. Usually I make money and sometimes I lose money. If I'm not pushing myself to try new things I feel like in the end I'll have a limited area to buy and sell and won't make near as much. That is me. I think the downside of being like this is that I'm more of a jack of all trades and not a true expert in any area.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    This recently happened to me on one of my 99 cent ebay auctions. I lost 50%.

If you paid $200, and the coin closed at $100 you lost more than half when you account for eBay fees and PayPal fees. This is why no reserve auctions are scary in this market when you are handling esoteric material. There are too many variables beyond your control. I feel for you.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

P.S. I once had a coin I valued at $4,000 (not far off from the last Heritage auction records and well below guide value) that closed around $1,500. It's one of the reasons why I am skeptical of people that claim that no reserve auctions are always the best solution.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who hasn't lost some money on coins, is a person who collects his change to roll up.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, I have not lost money on any of my coin purchases. Simply because I have not sold them. If I did sell them, I am sure I will lose a lot :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think of the $30 you saved by writing off the loss - you're only down $70! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file