Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PALLADIUM EAGLE - LOW QUALITY COINS SHIPPED TO GENERAL PUBLIC

I have had my hands on 4 unopened 2018 Palladium Eagles shipped directly from the US Mint. I'm frustrated to say that EVERY COIN has been less than brilliant! Dust, fuzz, contact marks and air-tights with smudges and handling marks. For an absurdly premium coin, this is extremely unsettling. I purchased with the intent to re-sell, as I have and made money. I keep replacing,; hoping to find a specimen worth photographing, but it has yet to happen. After speaking with the US Mint, there is NOTHING they will do to make up for the weak quality of every Palladium eagle I have received (still in mint shipping box). I needed to voice my opinion, and am curios if others are running into the same issue. Comments?

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one with a finger print on the obverse. That blew my mind.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photographs would help illustrate your complaint. I'm sorry for your receipt of unsatisfactory coins from the mint. This poor showing by the mint in your case doesn't seem to be wide spread. The majority of reports here are from those who received high quality coins. Are you returning them for replacement or refund?

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Pictures please.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2018 3:22PM

My capsule looked like it had been kicked across the floor, scratches on both sides. The coin itself isn't perfect, specs, pinprick marks and a streak of sorts on the obverse, appears to be part of the coin.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sample size of 4 isn't necessarily representative of the 15,000 mintage to be fair.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I couldn't get one!
    The US mint has lost me as a customer for life.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2018 6:05PM

@JBK said:
    I am a little confused by the thread's title - it implies the perfect ones were delivered elsewhere?

I get the impression that the op is saying that he believes that larger coin dealers and/or well known people in the "hobby" may have been sent the absolute best quality coins.... and Joe Shlomo at Po Box 123 Timbuk III(no relation to 3) :) !!!... was sent whatever was left laying around with no regard to condition. Is this a correct assessment?

• Options

@jwitten said:

No fun at all! Sorry to hear it

• Options

@Type2 said:
    I'll take all the Junkers but will need a discount.

Right there with you! Still a great coin dont get me wrong

• Options

@goldandsilverguy said:

@jwitten said:

No fun at all! Sorry to hear it

It came off fairly well with a dip, but it still shouldn't happen.

• Options
    goldandsilverguygoldandsilverguy Posts: 10
    edited September 19, 2018 6:56PM

@Hallco said:

@JBK said:
    I am a little confused by the thread's title - it implies the perfect ones were delivered elsewhere?

I get the impression that the op is saying that he believes that larger coin dealers and/or well known people in the "hobby" may have been sent the absolute best quality coins.... and Joe Shlomo at Po Box 123 Timbuk III(no relation to 3) :) !!!... was sent whatever was left laying around with no regard to condition. Is this a correct assessment?

Not trying to imply that. Simply saying that the 4 coins that I've seen have serious quality issues. Trying to see if others have experienced similar.

• Options

@3stars said:
    Someone lost the 70 lottery.

Definitely wasn't expecting an MS70 from the mint! LOL

• Options

@MorganMan94 said:
    A sample size of 4 isn't necessarily representative of the 15,000 mintage to be fair.

Agreed. Hoping to see more!

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    My capsule looked like it had been kicked across the floor, scratches on both sides. The coin itself isn't perfect, specs, pinprick marks and a streak of sorts on the obverse, appears to be part of the coin.

Wow. That sucks! Sorry to hear it. Very excited to get my hands on a quality piece!

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

Just because mintage was low doesn't mean the price will rise. Remember that 1/4 and 1/2 oz. gold Eagles often sell for slightly above melt.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price has already risen. Significantly.
    Good comments by knowledgeable long-time buyers.
    Heed their advice, you got an ounce of palladium. From the Mint.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Glad I couldn't get one!
    The US mint has lost me as a customer for life.

Yikes, with a customer base of XXX,XXX do you think they will notice? It was a lottery, take a chance and the winners can keep or flip.
    I couldn't get one either. :( Lost out on a few hundred profit but there will be another chance down the road and I'll play for sure.

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to see photos of this, either good laughs or other.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I've had bad experiences with the Mint but to be fair I've been catching it from all angles since locating to Metro Detroit in '09. With this Proof Paladium Coin I wasn't sure what to expect but like a funky junkie I hammered the phone at the opening bell. Shipping was fairly quick , but UPS Ground came on the same day as a Smart Post Shipment of NA $1's that left Memphis 2 days later. Upon opening up the Packaging, I was blown away. This Proof APdE is easily the most stunning Coin I've ever received from the US Mint. No complaints at all from me. Now if the Mint can do a Palladium Version of the Hi Relief Peace Dollar, they will be on a non stop path of Excellence.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry about a few little marks or fingerprints. They will all grade 69 or 70

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Don't worry about a few little marks or fingerprints. They will all grade 69 or 70

Except for the one that already grade 68...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@blitzdude said:

Except for the one that already grade 68...

condition rarity

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Just because mintage was low doesn't mean the price will rise. Remember that 1/4 and 1/2 oz. gold Eagles often sell for slightly above melt.

Because the premium on them is higher right from the mint.

1 ounce spot + 3%
    0.5 ounce is spot + 5%
    0.25 ounce is spot + 7%
    tenth ounce is spot + 9%

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious how the major buyers are handling their open ended $2000 plus buys on these?

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I've had bad experiences with the Mint but to be fair I've been catching it from all angles since locating to Metro Detroit in '09. With this Proof Paladium Coin I wasn't sure what to expect but like a funky junkie I hammered the phone at the opening bell. Shipping was fairly quick , but UPS Ground came on the same day as a Smart Post Shipment of NA $1's that left Memphis 2 days later. Upon opening up the Packaging, I was blown away. This Proof APdE is easily the most stunning Coin I've ever received from the US Mint. No complaints at all from me. Now if the Mint can do a Palladium Version of the Hi Relief Peace Dollar, they will be on a non stop path of Excellence.

AWESOME! GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT A GREAT PIECE! :smile:

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I'm curious how the major buyers are handling their open ended $2000 plus buys on these?

I am sure you will hear from them but I imagine Bulk submissions into NGC guaranteed 70's flip them for $3000.00+ All Day!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goldandsilverguy said:

@3stars said:

As well you shouldn't! Reminds me of the late-1960's slabbed proof that I was shown at a coin shop that had hair on it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2018 11:49AM

@Hallco said:

@JBK said:

This thread's title implies something I believe is practically impossible. Think of all the steps it would require to maintain that kind of process within the Mint.

And with all the employees it'd involve, I doubt it'd be a secret.

More Likely: An oft-rumored more-plausible scenario is that TPGs give, um, preferential treatment to bulk submissions from favored dealers.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@goldandsilverguy said:

@3stars said:

Well, where WOULD expect to get one?

• Options

I have been a Level-1 member on CCE, CoinNet, CDN Exchange and Roundtable. We have been in the same location for 24 years. We will outbid ANYONE on this forum. DM FOR up to the minute BEST PRICE. Still buying these TODAY. please DM me, must call to confirm, I've now bought 5 of these from collectors.com, you guys are legit. I also buy a LOT of other stuff and I'm the real deal. Cheers.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many buyers did the OP survey and what was the data breakdown?

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@goldandsilverguy said:

@3stars said:

As well you shouldn't! Reminds me of the late-1960's slabbed proof that I was shown at a coin shop that had hair on it.

Pete

What did it grade after the hair was removed?

• Options

I am constantly amazed at the number of 100% perfect coins (70's) coming from the mint, More often on MS coins rather than PR. This includes the largest coins. :)

• Options

Mine just got graded by PCGS at 69. Now what do I do? Pictures are not loaded yet.

• Options

3 of my 4 have graded 69. Dang. Still a few more to come.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't get one, even when I tried to ordered one at 12:02. I'm hearing more and more negative comments than positive ones. I'm now glad I didn't get one !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2018 8:52PM

Imagine if the US Mint responded to disparaging threads here like almost all other companies do within minutes of a social media post they were tagged in that makes them look bad..

We would all collectively gasp :D

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so true....and most will try to 'right' it by various levels of compensation ;)

@CascadeChris said:
    Imagine if the US Mint responded to disparaging threads here like almost all other companies do within minutes of a social media post they were tagged in that makes them look bad..

We would all collectively gasp :D

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

From another thread: PCGS

1093--70's
    100....69's

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

1093--70's
    100....69's

and 1,000 more 69's or less that were graded, but not slabbed and therefore not counted.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@BigA said:

1093--70's
    100....69's

and 1,000 more 69's or less that were graded, but not slabbed and therefore not counted.

That will end up on fee bay as raw now. It may be less like 300.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2018 6:19AM

@Goldminers said:

@BigA said:

1093--70's
    100....69's

Where can you find that number? or it it just a WAG from an assumption. I do understand the minimum grade thing but:

If you are correct then NONE of the results are real. For the RP BI quarter the low number of 70's was a big reason for the huge premium (241 70's... 2051 lower). Now the BIG number for the 70's is real and the low number of 69's is not....I guess it goes however you want it to go.

If the premise be true and consistent then there should always be less 69's than 70's

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased mint products for years, and only once did I receive a poor coin - a proof ASE with a field scratch on the obverse. I sent it back and received a replacement promptly. This was in the mid '90's. I have been very happy with mint products, though I do not buy much anymore (different focus). Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file