Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal detecting versus coinstar

I just got back home after spending eight days in Spokane, Washington. I had to have two toenails cut out. ouch!!!!
I was able to detect for two days, but only about 1-1/2 hours each time. in the two outings, I found 87 cents. I looked into a Coinstar machine two times and found $1.08. Coinstar wins.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I, I dig a nice assortment of relics and old coins all the time. I recover clad U.S. Coins and foreign coins at Coinstars but no history and face value can't beat digging large cents. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coinstar machine is an occasional success....sometimes weeks go by with nothing. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Namvet69
    I am happy for you that you are in a location where you dig a nice assortment of relics and old coins all the time. In all the years I've been doing it, I only found an assortment of relics and old coins some of the time, not all the time as you mention. I would guess that you are not approaching (85) years of age as I am. Where I live year-round, our temperatures are so hot it is next to impossible to get after it. This year, for example, we had 49 days in a row over 100º with the highest being 114º. We currently are in the high 90's every day. But, at 85, I cannot do it as often as I used to. Good luck with future finds.

@ricko...You may recall the day I posted that I found 98 silver dimes in a coin star machine. I don't know of anyone who ever found that many in five minutes with a detector.

Good luck to everyone. MDH

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mdh, thanks for sharing your experience. I think finding money in the rejection slots is a hoot. I hope I am fortunate to live to 85. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both sources are capable of producing some really unexpected items. That's what keeps us looking.

My cheap Radio Shack metal detector is responsible for my best find nearly 50 years ago. It was a dump that dated 1860-1900 and contained some intact local bottles and many more broken ones. The metal wire in the porcelain lightning stopper set off my $9.95 "Treasure Probe". I sold a few of these bottles locally and gave away the rest many years ago.

Coinstar has produced four silver dimes and an assortment of other US and foreign coins over the past few years-maybe $15 in total value.

So metal detector is still in the lead for me.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.