Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - Lincoln Cent 'Crack Out' Submission - Grades Revealed

yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
edited September 21, 2018 7:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

After reading some recent threads on the board and getting input from other forum members regarding crossover vs. crackout submissions, I decided to take the plunge and crack out some Lincolns which were previously housed in older ANACs holders.

Not counting the 32-D, these have been difficult dates for me to find for my BN/RB set, particularly the 18-S and 19-S. (seems like most of these either have strike weakness and/or carbon spotting) I submitted this batch last week while at Long Beach and the images were taken by Todd @Blucc Photos during the show. I won't know the final grades for a few weeks.

Comments are welcome as well!

Comments

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they all will straight grade except maybe the 16-S. The others 65RB and the 32D 64?

Nice Lincolns and much luck.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right on, I was thinking of doing a few crack outs myself.

I will predict
    18 S 65BN if the luster is there. I think it’s a better than average strike for the issue
    19 S I thought a 64 BN then I saw the reverse and fear a 3
    16 S I put at a 63 BN max
    32 D I’m going 64 BN

I always try to avoid GTGs but these are nice coins with great photos, so figured I’d venture a guess. I hope you get the grades you predict based on what you have seen in hand.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

18-S I agree with @WildIdea, 65BN
    19-S 64 BN
    16-S 64RB
    32-D 65RB

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins, good luck on your submission.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

65bn
    64bn
    qc
    64 bn hoping you get 65bn

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are nice looking Lincolns.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

64bn
    64bn
    Questionable color
    64bn

Nice coins. The 19s is a little tough to find a good one. I just bought one myself and will share pics when I get some free time.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful pictures

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yKnot...Those are very nice wheaties..... best of luck with the grades. Be sure to let us know when you get them....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coins and images.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

18 s........65
    19 s........64
    16 s.....QC
    32 d........66
    Great looking coins.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all of them.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice surfaces on all.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2018 1:08PM

64+ BN
    unc details questionable color
    unc details questionable color

• Options

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I agree with @WildIdea and others that the reverse will more than likely limit the grade on the 19-S. I didn't think this originally but I can see it now.

@1Mike1 I would love to see your 19-s when you have a chance to post it. It seems like finding a nice 19-S has been near impossible.

The 16-s was the one coin that I was strongly considering to crossover instead of cracking out as it does have the potential to come back QC. I thought the color looked natural or "market acceptable" so I went for it. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me. :|

I'll be sure to follow up with the results when they come in.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 18s looks like a coin I sold thru GC last fall, in an old ANACS holder. Tough coin, not a lot of luster but super clean. I recall ANACS had it as a 64BN? Nice coin, hope it gets a 65.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2018 6:05PM

That 18s is incredible. 65+?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

18 s - 65 bn
    19 s - 64 bn
    16 s - 91 - Questionable Color
    32 d - 64 bn

really is impossible to say for certain based on a photo though.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice woody on that 1918-S!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@yKnot said:
    Thanks to all who have responded so far. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I agree with @WildIdea and others that the reverse will more than likely limit the grade on the 19-S. I didn't think this originally but I can see it now.

@1Mike1 I would love to see your 19-s when you have a chance to post it. It seems like finding a nice 19-S has been near impossible.

The 16-s was the one coin that I was strongly considering to crossover instead of cracking out as it does have the potential to come back QC. I thought the color looked natural or "market acceptable" so I went for it. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me. :|

I'll be sure to follow up with the results when they come in.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options

@yKnot said: It seems like finding a nice 19-S has been near impossible.

My question is, What is the target grade for your set? PCGS only or NGC too? Are you shooting for 65s and higher and nothing else will do? or 64s? Maybe a few exceptions here and there on the more expensive dates and MM. I suspect that at the 65 level there simply arn't enough to go around to meet demand.

I had built my early date Lincolns with a min grade of 65 BN and have three 64s (14 D, 26 S and a 24) in the set and a few 66s and with RB and RD designations, but think the set is well matched. At first I wanted a PCGS run of 65 BNs, but I realized that in doing that the coins didn't really match each other. I found that there are many coins in 4 holders that could be 5s and vic versa, same with 6s. Before were even talking color designations. I started just looking at the coins and ended up this both services and grades and designations about a point apart. I didn't want to pile my money into a raw set, so the services add a level of confidence and resale protection, but you gotta be able to think for yourself. You could go mad trying to play the crack out continuity game and I chose not to buy into "it" (the grading game) too hard and accept a few idiosyncrasies to have gems.

I've been thinking lately that with the experience I gained doing that set I could do it over again, but in 64s for easily half the cost and frustration. I think there are some really nice coins at this grade and would be a really respectable set. I think at that grade level you could build a perfect run of PCGS slabs with matching grade and color designations. There would be way more coins to choose from and you could get picky with their selections. Or AU 58, that's why I ask what your targeting.

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

QC

Of course I hope they grade higher/straight grade. Heres my 19s, weakness on the back but nice and toned

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    65bn
    64bn
    qc
    64 bn hoping you get 65bn

+1

• Options

@1Mike1 said:

That is a great looking 1919-S in BN! Yours looks like it has it all - nice color, luster, and full details on both the obverse and reverse. Very nice!

• Options

@WildIdea said:

@yKnot said: It seems like finding a nice 19-S has been near impossible.

My question is, What is the target grade for your set? PCGS only or NGC too? Are you shooting for 65s and higher and nothing else will do? or 64s? Maybe a few exceptions here and there on the more expensive dates and MM. I suspect that at the 65 level there simply arn't enough to go around to meet demand.

I had built my early date Lincolns with a min grade of 65 BN and have three 64s (14 D, 26 S and a 24) in the set and a few 66s and with RB and RD designations, but think the set is well matched. At first I wanted a PCGS run of 65 BNs, but I realized that in doing that the coins didn't really match each other. I found that there are many coins in 4 holders that could be 5s and vic versa, same with 6s. Before were even talking color designations. I started just looking at the coins and ended up this both services and grades and designations about a point apart. I didn't want to pile my money into a raw set, so the services add a level of confidence and resale protection, but you gotta be able to think for yourself. You could go mad trying to play the crack out continuity game and I chose not to buy into "it" (the grading game) too hard and accept a few idiosyncrasies to have gems.

I've been thinking lately that with the experience I gained doing that set I could do it over again, but in 64s for easily half the cost and frustration. I think there are some really nice coins at this grade and would be a really respectable set. I think at that grade level you could build a perfect run of PCGS slabs with matching grade and color designations. There would be way more coins to choose from and you could get picky with their selections. Or AU 58, that's why I ask what your targeting

Thanks @WildIdea for asking. 65BN is the target grade for my set but they don't all have to be 65s or BNs but that's the sweet spot for me in terms of strike, luster, and price. I've extended for some 66's and have been very happy and I do have some 64's but 65 BN's are my favorites.

I'm okay with both PCGS or NGC but I do cross coins from the other grading services to PCGS holders. (I know I'm guilty of being OCD that way)

You brought up an interesting point about mixing the different color designations and still having the set well matched. Although I love BN coins, I find myself selecting a few more RB coins of late as it's nice to have more options!

• Options

@BeefCurry808 said:
    QC

Of course I hope they grade higher/straight grade. Heres my 19s, weakness on the back but nice and toned

Beautiful colors and both sides match nicely! I like it. I'm starting to think maybe I should have kept looking instead of purchasing mine.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2018 10:06AM

@yKnot said_: I'm starting to think maybe I should have kept looking instead of purchasing mine.

Try to resist the urge to start doubting yourself. We could all easily feel this way about all our coins! Many times, when I look at a coin I think there is a perfect set for it somewhere. Sometimes, it’s mine, when it fits in my self imposed parameters. Then my tastes can change and that’s where it gets tricky. Sure, the cheapest way to build a set is to do it once, but that isn’t always possible when certain coins come up for sale so seldom. Your 19 S is nice, if you find one you like more (for the price) I’m sure someone else will love it.

It’s neat to me to see other folks in love with BN Lincolns. I search high and low for them too. I like them an even shade of mellowed brown with luster. I love colorful toning on them too and will add those to the set if I come across them but they still have to be clean gems. It’s a journey with no end really, there is so much variety out there, it keeps it fun. Thanks for sharing your coins, it’s a area that I find the most interesting.

Since were posting 19 S I’ll throw mine on the line up. It’s housed in a pre prong NGC and a 65 BN. Who knows what PCGS would say, I’ll prob never know.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, nice photography and nice coins. I'm no expert on Lincoln grading, but I agree with those who think the 16-S might come back QC. It just doesn't look natural the way the pink cuts out squarely and sharply around the date.

• Options

@yKnot said:

@1Mike1 said:

That is a great looking 1919-S in BN! Yours looks like it has it all - nice color, luster, and full details on both the obverse and reverse. Very nice!

Thanks, I spotted it under a light at a show and thought it was a steel cent from the way it shined. I will eventually send it to our host.

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

@ynot I don't have a ton to add since I generally agree with the grading assessments in here. I would say that the 16S would straight grade about 1 out of 3 times. I think it will grade if you stick with it.
    Jeff

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@yKnot said:

@BeefCurry808 said:
    QC

Beautiful colors and both sides match nicely! I like it. I'm starting to think maybe I should have kept looking instead of purchasing mine.

You can always replace! I have done that with some of my coins in my set, just replaced my 28 P in my set even though I never thought I would.

• Options

@WildIdea said:

@yKnot said_: I'm starting to think maybe I should have kept looking instead of purchasing mine.

Try to resist the urge to start doubting yourself. We could all easily feel this way about all our coins! Many times, when I look at a coin I think there is a perfect set for it somewhere. Sometimes, it’s mine, when it fits in my self imposed parameters. Then my tastes can change and that’s where it gets tricky. Sure, the cheapest way to build a set is to do it once, but that isn’t always possible when certain coins come up for sale so seldom. Your 19 S is nice, if you find one you like more (for the price) I’m sure someone else will love it.

It’s neat to me to see other folks in love with BN Lincolns. I search high and low for them too. I like them an even shade of mellowed brown with luster. I love colorful toning on them too and will add those to the set if I come across them but they still have to be clean gems. It’s a journey with no end really, there is so much variety out there, it keeps it fun. Thanks for sharing your coins, it’s a area that I find the most interesting.

Since were posting 19 S I’ll throw mine on the line up. It’s housed in a pre prong NGC and a 65 BN. Who knows what PCGS would say, I’ll prob never know.

That's a super sweet one as well! Thanks for posting it! There's something about the 1919's that I really like. Abe's jacket and bowtie are really well defined (all of them P,D, or S). I probably like the bowtie from 1919 the best. I'm trying to not get discouraged on mine (took me five years to finally select one as I insisted on getting a BN coin) and I like the obverse a lot just wish the reverse was there more!

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Well, nice photography and nice coins. I'm no expert on Lincoln grading, but I agree with those who think the 16-S might come back QC. It just doesn't look natural the way the pink cuts out squarely and sharply around the date.

Thanks @BryceM. That's a good point and I do agree that it's odd for it to cut so sharply around the date like that. I have seen toning run somewhat squarely above and below the "Liberty" but not so much on the date. I have one other coin that has a somewhat similar toning pattern but the toning is more blended and the toning around the date is not as acute. The color tends to flow into the numerals more but it does have a triangular shape to it.

• Options

@Coppercolor said:
    @ynot I don't have a ton to add since I generally agree with the grading assessments in here. I would say that the 16S would straight grade about 1 out of 3 times. I think it will grade if you stick with it.
    Jeff

Thanks. Will definitely try again if it doesn't succeed the first time.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good from here! Nice going.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

WildIdea : That 19-S of yours is a real knock out! That is as well struck as any 19-S will ever get.

True eye candy.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet another example of GRADE DEFLATION. Happens every day. Anacs small holders used to be considered conservative. Now they are over-graded by 2 points sometimes.

I would not have been happy with the 16-S going from a $500-$600 coin, down to a $100 coin.

• Options

@yKnot
    Congrats on the grades!

The 18s in 65 BN is a tough one!
    I think we all agreed it was gonna hit that mark.

Your 19 S looks way finer in the True View that the shot you offered. I love what I’m seeing in that pic. Somehow, the coin comes off a lot more even color wise. Prob just an effect of the photography. If they saw a 4 why not send it back in sometime. Same with the 16S maybe get a 4 there at some point!

I’m glad you got the 5 on the 32 D.

• Options

Great looking Lincolns. I would say a bit lenient on the 16 and 32 but 18 and 19 I would agree with.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty good submission results, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Yet another example of GRADE DEFLATION. Happens every day. Anacs small holders used to be considered conservative. Now they are over-graded by 2 points sometimes.

I would not have been happy with the 16-S going from a $500-$600 coin, down to a $100 coin.

That was part of my reasoning for cracking them out and submitting raw vs. submitting in the holder for crossover. I didn't want the holder to effect the grade as I thought it might hurt vs. help. However, it sounds like maybe I got it backwards and maybe the ANACS holders would have helped?

I'm not happy about the hit to the value either but I will try to resubmit later down the road at some point. I'm not sure what the graders saw as I think it's at least a point higher.

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great results!

Congrat's!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file