Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Better late than never

I have not been a member of the forum for very long, but I realized I kind of hopped right in without giving any inclination to who I am. I have thoroughly enjoyed the discussions I have read and been a part of, and the camaradarie here is outstanding. I figured I should spend a moment introducing myself out of respect for those who allowed me to join, as well as those who have helped me out since I became a member. My name is Chris, born and raised in the great state of Louisiana!! I am in my 30's, and have been collecting for about 7 or 8 yrs. It was a pretty rough start with collecting, and I am by no means anywhere near being an expert...more like a halfway-advanced beginner :D I have gotten my son (8) into collecting, my daughter (3) is fascinated by coins, and my wife is enthralled by ancient and shipwreck coins. I do not have one certain type I go after.....if you saw my collection you would probably say "What a mess!!" I look forward to the help received in the future, and I thank you all for taking the time to read this. Have a blessed day and good luck in your searches!!

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post! Love to hear when an entire family has interest. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to seeing you contribute to the forum! :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to have you here :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to hear you have the whole family involved.

Welcome to the forum.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Move ahead slowly. Be very selective in what you collect.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Welcome from a fellow messy collector. I like everything so my interests jump around from thing to thing. I think it's part of my ADD. One area I don't collect is moderns because I deal in them and it's how I make a living. Tried to get my older daughter into coin collecting. I gave her a 2003 Panda which is her birth year. I handed it to her, she looked at it and asked me what it was worth. I told her $85. She handed it back and said, "Sell it!!!" That was the end of that. LOL

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! Show us some photos of your favorites.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastalpride85 Welcome aboard, Chris!

I love your introduction, it gives your name and a little background about yourself. The only thing missing is some photos of what you collect. As far as collecting goes, collect what you like and makes you happy. If you want to get more organized with it and you are not sure what to collect, try a US type set. If you find one type that really interests you, then you can collect the series.

Good luck with your collection and happy collecting.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

One collector is tough enough so the fam wow. Those who collector together stay together, Welcome to the board.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @divecchia. Collect what makes you happy and don't worry about focus for now, unless that's what makes you happy. Some feel compelled to complete date and mint mark sets while others collect a wide range of whatever they find interesting. Most are probably somewhere between. Tastes and collecting preferences may or may not change much over the years. Don't worry about it. Do what makes sense to you and makes you happy now and in the future.

Welcome. Enjoy and have fun.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastalpride85 ....Welcome aboard and great post...Coin collecting is a hobby, and as such, should be enjoyed in whatever way interests you and brings pleasure. Look forward to more of your inputs...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to you and your family. An interesting assortment of human beings and the one and only Mango on this forum. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! Geaux Tigers!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Coins Family @coastalpride85 ....... learn and have fun along the way!
    Please share some of your favorites :)
    P.S: Mango is the name of my Lovebird as mentioned by @Namvet69 B)

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome....and so great to hear your family shares your passion! Outstanding!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are incredibly lucky to have a family (esp. a wife) that is also interested. I am sure that many here are a little jealous. To the extent that you brought that about, good job!

As some have said, just have fun with it. There is a lot to be said about focusing your collection, but then again, you should collect what you like. So, if the result is a mishmash of stuff then so be it! Call it a "type set" or a "box of 20" and be proud. B)

My only advice here is to read as much as you can. Example: there is currently a thread offering people to post a reply to enter a giveaway for a FREE gold coin. If you have not seen that thread yet then you are not reading enough here... ;)

• Options

Thank you all very much for the warm welcomes! I must say, I have dabbled in many different areas of coin collecting, had alot of things come and go, fallen on hard times and had to let many things go. Now my problem is wanting it all at the same time haha. I will set up a new post with some of my favorites. To show all the different avenues I have pursued in my collection would take alot more time than most of you probably have interest. I should instead say it looks like a tiny coin store in my boxes, a little of this and that scattered everywhere!!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

glad to hear you and everyone else is here with us. all the best and one big welcome :)

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome, @coastalpride85 and best of luck with your collecting.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tradition has it that you must post a blurry pic of a Lincoln cent and ask if it's an error coin.

Just Kidding, Welcome,

• Options

Well I have seen my fair share of blurry pics, I will try to start out better. I will post pics of my Wheat set as it sits so far in a new thread.

• Options

So...with my wings all stretched out, I am currently working on: Mint set collection, Proof set collection, Washington Quarter BU set, along with pre-65 Proof Quarter set, Wheat Cent set (high grade), Buffalo Nickel set (high grade) Finished a business strike ASE set, working on Proof ASE set and a toned ASE set. Also have WWII Nazi silver,19th Century German silver, several silver Kennedy OBW rolls, several P/D Sac Dollar rolls...and other miscellaneous types....I'm sure I have left some things out, but I will post later as I remember. I do sell and trade, but I am in it for love of the game, not to try and get rich. I had people help me out when I first began, and I am a firm believer in paying it forward. If anyone has questions or wants to see anything just let me know, I will happily post it and I am always looking for opinions and guidance. Thank you all again, it has been a most warming welcome!!

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Welcome!

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018 1:36PM

Sounds like some O mint coins would be a good fit for you, but collect what you like. Welcome.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard. Have fun!

• Options

Smudge you are absolutely correct, in fact I recently started a Morgan collection, and have a few O mint beauties

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I look forward to your participation.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Chris!

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file