Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up a cool silver bar today.

Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was cool the dealer I picked it up form said it's a ugly bar I feel in love with it but did not tell him. I picked it up for odd weight price $13.50 a oz.

Hoard the keys.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat silver bar. B)
    Be sure to share your find with the folks on the Precious Metals Forum.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we know anything else about the refinery? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Do we know anything else about the refinery? Peace Roy

The folks on the Precious Metals Forum here would be able to help.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An old bar with character.... not sure what that impurity on the end is though... Looks weird. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    An old bar with character.... not sure what that impurity on the end is though... Looks weird. Cheers, RickO

I noticed that. It looks like wax or plastic. When the price of silver was much higher scammers would hollow out the larger silver bars and then fill the cavity with another metal and then seal the end. I hope that didn't happen with this bar.

• Options

No it looks like a silver cave has a open spot hard for me to get the photo I'll keep trying but it's open you can see in the bar looks cool.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

I like it

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat piece. Do you know what era its from?

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

The galvanized look is very cool :)

• Options

No some times I just see that it is a old poured bar and pick them up. I like that kind of stuff worth it's weight in silver cant go wrong with a buy like that. I will look around to see what I find now that I have it in hand.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess it is from the 1979-1980 Hunt Brothers bubble.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I notice is that all the stamping is done with individual letter punches. Must have been a small time outfit.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That end makes me very wary, but it's not much money at risk.

• Options

@JBK said:
    What I notice is that all the stamping is done with individual letter punches. Must have been a small time outfit.

Not uncommon during the Hunt Brothers bubble when some people were refining silver in their garages.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@JBK said:

Not uncommon during the Hunt Brothers bubble when some people were refining silver in their garages.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, recycled dental silver perhaps :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

Thanks Dan. I learned something new. B)

• Options
    Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Seems like these bars command a strong premium over melt. Very nice!!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, vertical pour with impurities coming to the top. My thoughts exactly. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any additional info @Type2 ?

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've handled a couple of Universal Silver bars over the years - I think that Captain Henway is right - they're late-70s...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

@Paradisefound said:
    Any additional info @Type2 ?

Nope it's silver and I like it, I'm easy. ;) Next deal let's go go go.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Hi, Everyone
    New to CU . One of these recently sold on eBay for $510 + shipping. It is a really nice looking bar

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and unique bar. Congratulations!

• Options

@Mesh said:
    Hi, Everyone
    New to CU . One of these recently sold on eBay for $510 + shipping. It is a really nice looking bar

Thank you so I know it's worth what I paid.

Welcome to the board and have fun posting.

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file