Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Wax stain question

WdorAnoziraWdorAnozira Posts: 17
edited September 5, 2018 6:21AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I was wondering if anyone has any idea how many points you lose in grading for a wax stain on the back of a card. I recently acquired a very nice 1959 Fleer Ted Williams #68 "Ted Signs For 1959." It has a small to medium wax stain on the back. Otherwise beautiful. Four sharp corners, 50/50 top/bottom, 65/35 left/right, perfect color, no creases, no print defects, surface has no defects. After 25 years, my set is now complete and I need to get it graded. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018 6:49AM

The card should get a numerical grade with a (ST) qualifier, so if the card is otherwise a PSA 9 without the stain, a 9 (ST). For registry purposes, it's a two grade drop equivalent to a 7.

ETA: It's impossible to get a qualifier on a PSA 10, so a 9 is the best you can hope for.

• WdorAnoziraWdorAnozira Posts: 17
    edited September 5, 2018 7:02AM

Thank you very much for your quick response. That helps a lot, and makes sense. I have never sent a card for grading even though I have been collecting for nearly 45 years. This card appears, after comparison to others from the set that I purchased graded, to be a strong 8 maybe a 9. I was thinking that a two point drop would be about right. I purchased it from someone who said these were literally opened then put in a shoebox. He sold the others as a near complete set. I will post a picture of it later today. Thanks again.

• Upon reading the grading standards I noticed 9 allows for a slight wax stain without a qualifier. I wonder what the idea of slight is, and has anyone ever got a 9 with wax, without a qualifier.

• Sorry about the upside down picture.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rate that higher than slight ;) I personally haven't sent in any cards with wax stains, so don't know of any 9s with them. If they're on the front/glossy side of a card, I know they can be removed (pantyhose normally recommended). This one looks to be 'soaked' into the cardboard, so doubt there's much that can be done.

FWIW, I'm measuring R/L at 32/68, but it's difficult to gauge without a flat scan. I would guess an 8(ST) is the likely grade.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Not knowing that stains were a no no i purchased some 1955 Parkhurst hockey cards before PSA came on the scene ,some had staining on the back that were awful to look at, PSA downgraded the cards instead of giving me qualifiers.

• @LarkinCollector said:
    I would rate that higher than slight ;) I personally haven't sent in any cards with wax stains, so don't know of any 9s with them. If they're on the front/glossy side of a card, I know they can be removed (pantyhose normally recommended). This one looks to be 'soaked' into the cardboard, so doubt there's much that can be done.

FWIW, I'm measuring R/L at 32/68, but it's difficult to gauge without a flat scan. I would guess an 8(ST) is the likely grade.

That's a grade I would be ecstatic with. Sorry it took so long to reply.> @electrode said:

Not knowing that stains were a no no i purchased some 1955 Parkhurst hockey cards before PSA came on the scene ,some had staining on the back that were awful to look at, PSA downgraded the cards instead of giving me qualifiers.

I only bought it because it was the nicest one I could afford that wasn't hammered. It turns out, that besides the wax, it is the nicest card in my set.

Old Parkhurst with wax are okay by me.