Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1818 B-9 Bust Quarter G-T-G : 200 Year Anniversary

1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

For this month's continued tribute to the 200 year anniversary of 1818 coinage, this Bust Quarter Guess-The-Grade features the 1818 Browning 9 variety. It is considered to be an R-5, and is popular for it's unusual late die state with heavy obverse clashing.

At the top of the obverse, you can often make out 25c, olive leaves, and heavy arrowheads clashed at the top of Liberty's cap. It comes in early and late die states, though most like the later state. My example is a late state, and I currently don't have an early die state of the Browning 9 variety.

After the Browning 9 variety was struck, the reverse die was re-paired with the Browning 7 obverse again, creating the remarriage for the Browning 7 variety. Examples of the Browning 7 remarriage have an even heavier crack on the reverse at the eagle's wing.

Feel free to guess the PCGS grade for fun if you'd like, as well as if you thought it passed at CAC. Comments are welcome, and if you have an 1818 B-9 please post a picture of it.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive...Those clashed arrows are really strong.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 10:53AM

XF-40?? Nice coin!

edit: No CAC

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll go AU55. Great example of a tough variety!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

nearly full luster, least that's my interpretation. How about 58? Love the denomination on the obverse!

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

What no love for the bust quarters? I'll wager 53. Love the die crack on the reverse

• Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I have much love for bust quarters, and this is a beauty! This variety is more like an R-5+ and super cool with the clashed arrows. I know the grade so I won't guess--but it is a very special coin with a great look. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Reverse limits it, but obverse rules and it is pretty strong. Nice coin, toning, crack and clash. It has a lot going for it.
  • Options

Keep in mind that the reverse die crack causes metal flow which creates weakness at the eagles wing.
    ‘Course, it’s anyone’s guess whether the tpg also kept that in mind...

• Options
    tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

XF45

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy an AU 58 coin die clashed, but why not MS 63 that's a nice coin with no wear just a clash taking away detail and adding arrows. Perhaps the color?

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2018 1:22PM

I think I recall that 2B's is on of the two AU58's in the condition census making it tied for #1. I think it passed CAC. This is a tough coin for the LDS because there are so few. Thumbs up!

Here is my N55, it will probably cross to P50 because of the blotch on the cheek (I am going to do this at FUN in Jan I hope). It is also the Browning Plate coin. Going down to P50 won't change its value or its ranking in the condition census (#5).

Not my best work for imaging, makes the coin much uglier than it really is.... But

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 CAC

thefinn
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... really nice!! I like it at AU58...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally toned and CAC'd

Easton Collection
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58, with an A+ for the coolness factor

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 and very choice.
    Might even be a 58+.
    Great coin.

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

A number of you hit the nail right on the head with this one, and thanks to @spacehayduke and @EastonCollection for posting your excellent examples.

I originally bought this coin raw, and upon submission to PCGS it came back in a body bag for questionable color years ago. I've heard comments that PCGS doesn't like blue toning, but it never seemed like a problem coin to me. Upon second submission, the coin came back more appropriately graded as AU58. It is a slider, and as pointed out by some, has some striking issues due to die clashing and the giant die crack on the reverse.

When I sent it to CAC, it passed with a green sticker. I suppose the first submission was an anomaly and it hit the wrong grader on the wrong day at that time.

Thank you for your questions, comments, and for taking a look.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coin!
    Love that clash, still need this die state for my set, but I do have the earlier version, will try to find a pic.
    Agree with the grade, coingrats!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Interesting when a rare die variety "passes" CAC. Does CAC recognize die varieties/die states formally, or are they just saying "yeah, we'd buy it" as a regular AU58? (just like I think they don't formally recognize "+'s". btw, is this still true?)
    If the second one, it seems like they'd sticker almost any B9 in AU58, because it's worth significantly more than bid for a "normal" 1818 quarter.
    I'd be interested to hear from those attempting to get scarce die varieties/die states stickered.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love the die clashing on this piece.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file