Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How much would you pay...if anything?

If you were offered a coin that you needed for your registry set, how much would you offer to pay for a coin that you judged overgraded by about a point? For the sake of argument, let's assume the coin has a value of $2000 if the grade matched the holder, and $1000 if graded correctly. The coin is attractive, just overgraded in your opinion. CAC has reviewed the coin and declined to sticker.

Or would you just pass?

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. You could offer $1000, but that would be insulting and anger the seller. If you can get a good photo of it, do a gtg on the US coins forum and see how others grade it.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Pass

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 9:57AM

I'd likely pass, as I wouldn't pay more than $1,000 for it and, if I really liked it maybe $1,500. But I probably wouldn't like it, though, as it is ovegraded. I tend to pay up for coins that are undergraded not the other way around.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

$1000-1,200

• TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

The coin in question was an auction lot at Heritage last night. Appears the bidders voted pass as well; the coin did not meet reserve.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

offer the right price then the regrade & sticker is on you. I guess if your waiting ten years vs two makes a difference as well. If you want to close out the set no harm in making an offer.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

You pass, you'll only lose money when sale time comes

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would depend on population, what I had in the spot now, and what I thought the chances are I could get a similar one in next 3 years.