How much would you pay...if anything?

If you were offered a coin that you needed for your registry set, how much would you offer to pay for a coin that you judged overgraded by about a point? For the sake of argument, let's assume the coin has a value of $2000 if the grade matched the holder, and $1000 if graded correctly. The coin is attractive, just overgraded in your opinion. CAC has reviewed the coin and declined to sticker.

Or would you just pass?

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. You could offer $1000, but that would be insulting and anger the seller. If you can get a good photo of it, do a gtg on the US coins forum and see how others grade it.

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭

Pass

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 8:57AM

I'd likely pass, as I wouldn't pay more than $1,000 for it and, if I really liked it maybe $1,500. But I probably wouldn't like it, though, as it is ovegraded. I tend to pay up for coins that are undergraded not the other way around.

Walking Liberty Sets

"Looking back, of course, it was irresponsible, mad, forlorn and idiotic but, if you don't take chances, then you'll never have a winning hand and I have no regrets."--Bernard Cornwell.
  • AlongAlong Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

$1000-1,200

• TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

The coin in question was an auction lot at Heritage last night. Appears the bidders voted pass as well; the coin did not meet reserve.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

offer the right price then the regrade & sticker is on you. I guess if your waiting ten years vs two makes a difference as well. If you want to close out the set no harm in making an offer.

• AblinkyAblinky Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

You pass, you'll only lose money when sale time comes

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would depend on population, what I had in the spot now, and what I thought the chances are I could get a similar one in next 3 years.