Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow ..... lets Make a FAKE ERROR on a Real Mint Error Coin

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2018 8:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I do not know IF the seller knows it is a fake, but it most certainly is.

Be careful out there.

https://ebay.com/itm/U-S-LINCOLN-CENT-19XX-DOUBLE-STRUCK-BLAZING-COPPER/183405220392?hash=item2ab3cd9228:g:AZYAAOSwdZdbhgqW

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double strucked?

• Options
    edited August 28, 2018 11:15AM

@Smudge said:
    Double strucked?

No Fake.

In fantasy land, it would be a Double (obverse and reverse, one on each side) Brockage on Off Center Cent (fake) Error

It is a vise / press / hammer Job.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins

Please tell us how it was done and the sequence the faker went through to make it look like this.

Please keep it simple. So...the counterfeiter started with this _________________ error, and then...

THANKS!!!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

School me here... I know absolutely nothing about these sorts of errors. Thanks in advance...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2018 11:20AM

It’s a sandwich. An off center error was put between two normal cents and then pressure was applied to create the inverse impressions, whether by a vise, hammer or some other means.

• Options

The easiest way would be with a hydraulic press.

Take A real off center cent.

Take two regular struck cents.

Line the two regular cents on each side of the unstruck area of the off center cent and put in the press.

Push button.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2018 11:26AM

Thanks. I'm not questioning either of you but how come the crescent edge of the genuine off-center strike does not show an indent (damage) from the rims of the two other coins that were squeezed into it to make a more impressive fake error?

• Options

Not enough pressure on the fake brockage

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Not enough pressure on the fake brockage

Do you think that was done on purpose so it would not damage the "crescent" on the genuine error or were they lucky.

• Options

They weren't lucky as it is almost impossible to fake true mint errors.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Smudge said:
    Double strucked?

No Fake.

In fantasy land, it would be a Double (obverse and reverse, one on each side) Brockage on Off Center Cent (fake) Error

I was commenting on the grammer, should have been double struck.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting and disgusting at the same time. :s

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins

100% disagree. Please see PM.

As for the coin you posted, you know it is a fake. My question is still important to me to resolve. We were not there when this fake was made. It makes sense that there was not enough pressure yet I cannot imagine that NO TRACE of contact from the alteration shows on the Crescent of the off-center.

I'll need to buy an off-center cent and make one of these to confirm it can be done w/o leaving the indents. Thanks.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

pretty moronic conman ruining a decent error coin, hopefully most people who collect error types understand the process of how they come to be

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I'll need to buy an off-center cent and make one of these to confirm it can be done w/o leaving the indents.

Please post your results. We've had a number of people try things and post there results - it's always been informative.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

It's OK if you hold it up to a mirror and view the reflection.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2018 12:02PM

@Insider2 said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

As for the coin you posted, you know it is a fake. My question is still important to me to resolve. We were not there when this fake was made. It makes sense that there was not enough pressure yet I cannot imagine that NO TRACE of contact from the alteration shows on the Crescent of the off-center.

I'll need to buy an off-center cent and make one of these to confirm it can be done w/o leaving the indents. Thanks.

Didn't we do this before?

Honestly, it is exhausting.

How about this way to approach mint error coins ......

It has to make sense on how the error was created at the US mint.

Almost all major mint errors are Simple to explain.

so I ask how could this have happened at the mint?

.... It could not because the mint dies have a heck of a lot more pressure than what this fake area was struck with. AND, super excess pressure because of the three coins struck together.

No way, no how it's a real brockage.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

If I were making this in the shop, I would have ground an arc on both donor coins so as not to impede the edge of the genuine error coin. Put it in the press and smash.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obvious hammer job. What a dumb thing to do. :s

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

@coinpro76 said:
    pretty moronic conman ruining a decent error coin, hopefully most people who collect error types understand the process of how they come to be

It is an economic thing. Take an $8 (?) off-center and alter it for more $$$. Take a 1944-D 1c and alter it to a 14-D for more $$$.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply read the USmint process and you will understand why.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Smudge said:
    Double strucked?

No Fake.

I was commenting on the grammer, should have been double struck.

Someone will inevitably comment on the spelling; it should have been grammar.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Here is a single brockage on a multi-error coin.

Pressure from the two coins cause a deep brockage with so much pressure that it split the planchet

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original coin looks like a vice job to me.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread! Is the process you described also responsible for the inverse date on the obverse?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:
    Interesting thread! Is the process you described also responsible for the inverse date on the obverse?

Yes

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

@Insider2
    PM Me and I will send this to you for the sake of experimentation :smile:
    I found it 'roll searching' , years ago

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

He closed the first auction but just relisted it so I updated the first link.

Maybe he does know.

here it is again ...

https://ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-CENT-DOUBLE-STRUCK-OFF-CENTER-BLAZING-RED-COPPER-US-ERROR-COIN/183403934504?hash=item2ab3b9f328:g:EOcAAOSwEBRbhYkj

• Options

@1630Boston said:

@Insider2 said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

@Insider2
    PM Me and I will send this to you for the sake of experimentation :smile:
    I found it 'roll searching' , years ago

Thanks. but that error is a keeper to be handed down in your family as you actually found it. I've got some cheap off-centers around and a vice. LOL.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion... If I had come across the listing, I would have thought it fake as well... but good to hear the expert opinion (@ErrorsOnCoins)...The coins in vise method has shown up here a few times over the years.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

he should change his ebay handle to Have Vise Will Squeeze

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse definitely appears incuse. It's a shame someone deliberately ruined this error coin...makes you wonder how many other legitimate errors have been altered like this for extra $$$$.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 1:26PM

@Insider2 said:
    Thanks. I'm not questioning either of you but how come the crescent edge of the genuine off-center strike does not show an indent (damage) from the rims of the two other coins that were squeezed into it to make a more impressive fake error?

This.

Wouldn't you have to cut out the crescent on your "die coin"? The off-center strike is a high point on one side of the coin and you'd have to get some pressure on it from the sandwich, wouldn't you? Or is that an optical illusion and the off-center strike is actually lower on both sides?

Edited to add: Actually, I'm coming around to optical illusion. I looked at the other pictures in the listing and some of them appear to be bent the other way.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

This.

Wouldn't you have to cut out the crescent on your "die coin"? The off-center strike is a high point on at least one side of the coin and you'd have to get some pressure on it from the sandwich, wouldn't you?

I have no idea as I don't alter coins except to clean them. I wonder if the guys who make these things in their garage are that smart. I'm going to try to make one.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 1:28PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

This.

Wouldn't you have to cut out the crescent on your "die coin"? The off-center strike is a high point on one side of the coin and you'd have to get some pressure on it from the sandwich, wouldn't you?

No, not enough pressure as stated above.

LOOK at the real example that I posted and imagine even more excessive pressure with three coins instead on two.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

This.

Wouldn't you have to cut out the crescent on your "die coin"? The off-center strike is a high point on at least one side of the coin and you'd have to get some pressure on it from the sandwich, wouldn't you?

I have no idea as I don't alter coins except to clean them. I wonder if the guys who make these things in their garage are that smart. I'm going to try to make one.

Actually, if you could make an actual "bowtie fantastic" error, many of the board regulars would love to buy one.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

This.

Wouldn't you have to cut out the crescent on your "die coin"? The off-center strike is a high point on one side of the coin and you'd have to get some pressure on it from the sandwich, wouldn't you?

No, not enough pressure as stated above.

LOOK at the real example that I posted and imagine even more excessive pressure with three coins instead on two.

As I say, I think it was an optical illusion. The coin photo looked like the off-center strike was above the surface of the coin. In other photos, it was clearly incuse.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Actually, if you could make an actual "bowtie fantastic" error, many of the board regulars would love to buy one.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 2:50PM

Here is another example.

This is two blank planchets next to each other on the same side of a third planchet that was the struck by the Lincoln dies causing a ...

Double Chain Struck Indents and Broadstruck with a Split Planchet Error .... Notice the effect of excessive pressure ....

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    Obvious hammer job. What a dumb thing to do. :smile:

I disagree. It's not an obvious hammer job. I've taken three cents, stacked together on an anvil, and smacked them together with a 15 lb sledge, ball peen, and other hammers. You just can't get that even of a pressed look with hammers. Maybe a vice, which could be controlled more.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins

I didn't catch that the rim wasn't embossed into the error until you mentioned it. It would seem, that even though a lot of the rim would be over the original strike, so it wouldn't be high enough to touch, the area on each side should.

thefinn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file