Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

San Francisco Bound-4 hours to explore

I am on my way to San Francisco for a business trip. After the meeting I have about four hours to explore. I will be downtown so I am thinking I will visit the Gold Rush Museum and Witter Coins. Those are the two places I plan on visiting unless someone has a better suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 5:57PM

updated to go with the interest....

The Occidental
    Scotch, bourbons....and you may bring your own cigar ($5 cutting fee)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 5:52PM

The Gold Rush Museum in the basement of the Bank of California is the best, so your plan is good.
    (It is open during business hours on weekdays; not on weekends.)
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/685407/bank-of-california-a-numismatic-visit/p1

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Witter is a great move

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SF Fed Reserve has a nice display in their lobby. Just a block away from the Ferry Building - so you can also see some downtown sights.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loaf of Boudines sourdough bread and a steamed Dungeness crab, cracked and wrapped in butcher paper. To die for! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been to Witter in years only because I have not been to SF in years. I suspect it is still located in the Hobart building which is old and worth seeing too if you are an architecture buff. I always managed to find coins to buy... Always an enjoyable experience.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are the two things that I'd do if I had a few hours in the city. The Bank of California stuff is great - some mind-blowing Pioneer Gold, including an incredible Mormon set, a great pair of Oregon's, a Baldwin $20, and some great Colorado material, including a decent Conway $2 1/2. Plus, you can still see some fakes that Ford sold them!

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Sounds like I need to go to the Gold Rush Museum first in case I end up spending a lot of time there. Sounds like if I only make it there I will leave happy.

• Options

I can't recommend it enough - just an exceptional, historic group of coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Gold Rush Museum would be my recommendation.... But I am a gold bug ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The Gold Rush Museum would be my recommendation.... But I am a gold bug ;) Cheers, RickO

+1, just make sure you don't step in any dodo while there.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Well, that did not disappoint!!! I headed over before the meeting and spent an hour there. I walked in with complete tunnel vision surrounded by all of that history. Banging out pictures like a mad man with my iPhone. Oops, didn’t see the sign that said no photography! I guess I’m that guy. I will probably be banned for life now. It was worth it!!!!

• Options

Share a few highlights when you get a chance - it's one of the great groups of coins in the US that a lot of people never get to see.

• Options

@Regulated absolutely will do.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, you guys are making me want to go to San Fran.

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Agree with Regulated I was in SF yesterday...stopped by the Bank of Cal display in the basement...
    also just around the corner the Wells Fargo History Museum on Montgomery Street

• Options

@CaptainBlunt said:
    Agree with Regulated I was in SF yesterday...stopped by the Bank of Cal display in the basement...
    also just around the corner the Wells Fargo History Museum on Montgomery Street

Next time you're here, lunch is on me...

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in SF be very, very careful where you step while walking. Make sure to avoid:

1. Used and discarded needles handed out to drug addicts so they can shoot up with clean needles;

2. Endless homeless people laying next to each other on side walks block after block after block on both sides of streets that are not the main arteries around town; and

3. Human solid and liquid waste resulting from homeless people going to the bathroom in the streets.

Also if you have a rental car, make sure you leave nothing in the car when you park; and be on the lookout for anyone who may be benefiting from the SF Sanctuary City mindset. Many tourists have been injured or killed by some bad guy "undocumented immigrants".

Notwithstanding the above SF does have some cool things for collectors to see.

One more thing.

The City of SF announced it is going to hire workers whose jobs is to clean up the human waste off of the city streets. They will be called the "Poop Patrol". Likely, membership in the SEIU will be required. Will probably work in a new department called Dept. Of Scatalogical Elimination (or Eradication).

Today a media report announced that the compensation for these new city workers will be $185,000.00 per year (Holy Cr*p!!!!!!!!!).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file